Six on Saturday | Cosmos and Kate

This week is all about Cosmos flowers. Well nearly all as I only have five so have had to add another relatively new plant to make up the six required (I don’t want to offend our host). The flowers attract a variety of bees, butterflies and hoverflies, and also make a good cut flower. Best grown in moist but well-drained soil, in full sun. Deadhead spent flowers to encourage repeat-flowering. Most of mine have been planted in containers for the summer patio, though a few of the taller Purity have been planted in the Bee and Butterfly bed where they look lovely among the purple Verbena ‘lollipop’, blackcurrant Allium and the pale yellow daylilies.

(1) Cosmos bipinnatus ‘Purity’ bears masses of pure white, single, saucer-shaped flowers, in contrast with bright green, feathery foliage. These grow to 1.2m tall and can look lovely in a border with grasses or dark coloured flowers such as dahlias.

(2) Cosmos bipinnatus ‘Sonata White’ is a compact cosmos, bearing masses of pure white, single, saucer-shaped flowers, which is suitable for a container as it grows about 60cm tall.

(3) Cosmos bipinnatus ‘Daydream’ has the palest pink blooms with a dark rosy throat. Grows 70-100cm tall.

(4) Cosmos bipinnatus ‘Fizzy Rose Picotee’ has flowers which are variable in two respects. Some are single while others are semi-double or even fully double blooms. The second is that the colouring is somewhat variable. Some flowers are definitely white with dark lilac-pink edged petals, whereas others are almost completely lilac pink with a little bit of white. Reaches 100cm.

(5) Cosmos atrosanguineus (Chocolate Cosmos) is a tender perennial. With lovely velvety maroon to a deep chocolate brown colour they even have a hint of chocolate and vanilla scent about them. Height 90cm. This is also planted in the Bee and Butterfly bed and well fleeced over the winter months!

(6) Clematis ‘Princess Kate’ – It is a texensis type, producing upright to nodding, bell-shaped flowers to 6cm long, that flare out widely towards their pointed tips. The petals have an attractive colouring, being white on the inside and stained reddish-purple on the outside. Growing alongside an unknown wine coloured clematis and a white rose, Kate fits in perfectly! This clematis grows by the side of my conservatory so receives lots of sun whilst her feet are in the shade.

(1) – (4) were purchased as seedlings from Ashridge nurseries online. The plants arrived in a very healthy condition and well packaged and could have been planted on arrival, but my pots weren’t ready so I planted them on indoors until they were a bit bigger and could hopefully withstand the S&S. Next year I will look for some other colours, but this year I quite fancied a paler display after the vibrancy of my tulips.

1. Stunning cosmos selection and the borders looking great with the alliums and verbena sneaking in. The clematis is a stunner with the pink casing.

Yes, Kate is lovely, such a nice shape. I might even buy Prince William as that too is a texensis and has lovely purply-red flower buds with a lavender interior and would also look nice along this fence.

2. fredgardener says:

Great choice of cosmos this week Jude, … I’m still waiting for my first! But I won’t wait too long … tomorrow or the day after maybe?

Well you probably sow your own seeds. I cheated and bought mine as young seedlings. More expensive but at least they have all survived!

1. fredgardener says:

This can be a good reason ! 😀

3. I was going to choose a favourite but it’s just not possible. They’re all lovely.

The ones I grew last year were lovely too – with a pale pink and a deeper pink as well as the white.

4. margaret21 says:

I do love cosmos. What a treat!

Lovely foliage too. And nothing seems to eat them. Once they have grown up that is!

A nice display as always, Jude.
    Overcast and drizzly here today, so no inspiration for being in the garden at all.

Nor here Pete. Grey, gloomy and wet!

6. bushboy says:

Wonderful Jude 😀

Thanks Brian. I love Cosmos, even though they are a tad too tall for my windy garden! You recovering well still?

1. bushboy says:

The Cosmos in the garden here are small. Feeling tip top thanks Jude 🥰

7. That clematis is lovely. I frequently admire cosmoses (?) but haven’t grown them for many years. How do you move amongst your plants? Your flowerbeds are packed full. Mine aren’t quite as full but even so, I manage to tread on/trip over plants regularly. 🤔🤷‍♀️👩‍🌾

My beds are all raised GG, so I can pretty much reach the middle of them without having to tread on them. Kate is very pretty and I am very happy with her this year. The other one had been hidden until I cut down the jasmine two years ago and keep it cut back. Such a pretty colour to have hidden. This year is the best it has been.

8. A beautiful selection of Cosmos. I only started growing it last year but my mum has grown it for years. Attractive foliage and endless flowers.

I grew some last year for the first time in years and loved them. The foliage is very attractive and the flowers go on for ages. The only issue I have is that they grow very tall and also in a container you do need something shorter or trailing. I was going to plant petunias at the base but because of lockdown I never managed to buy any. The sonata type are shorter and come in pale and dark pink too.

9. Colline says:

These are such pretty flowers

I love daisy-like flowers and cosmos flower for ages so well worth the cost of having to buy them as seedlings. Even better if you can raise them from seed yourself.

Love that Fizzy Rose piccotee, or whatever, Jude!

It’s my favourite this year – such a lovely name too!

Oh, great!