Six on Saturday | Raining. Again

After a lovely month of warm and dry and sunny weather in May and some sunshine and showers in June, July has started off dull and wet and windy, though not particularly cold. Still not the weather to get out in the garden although after four days away I certainly needed to do some work. Even in such a short period away it is amazing how many things had stopped flowering and how many had started, not to mention how much has grown!

So let’s have a quick look at six things in the garden this week:

(1) This pretty deep pink unknown clematis is happily climbing the fence at the side of the conservatory which it shares with clematis texensis ‘Princess Kate’ which isn’t open yet, a white rose and the Jasmine thug, which has been kept cut short this year. (I don’t expect to see many flowers on that).

(2) Clematis ‘Prince Charles’ย on the other-hand is in the woodland border where he grows up and through a very ancient clematis Montana which didn’t flower very well this year and desperately needs cutting down. But what on earth would I do with all the growth! These photos are taken with the morning sun behind which illustrates the lovely bars on the flower, however Charles is much bluer than these images suggest.

In containers are a selection of (3) Cosmos, now flowering their hearts out. I just hope the rain and wind don’t destroy them.

In the bee and butterfly bed the (4) daylily has gone mad, throwing out spikes of flowers which contrast beautifully with the purple (5) Verbena ‘Lollipop’ which is supposedly shorter than bonariensisย , though it seems pretty tall to me.

(6) Also in this bed is a lovely deep purple Salvia, Lavender Munstead and a Cape Fuchsia (Phygelius) a lovely orange flower with a bright yellow inside, which sadly can’t be seen as the bell flowers hang their heads.

I really hope that the summer weather returns, but as Cornwall is now open to visitors I will probably remain close to home for the next few months. As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

1. March Picker says:

Your garden beautifully hosts many clematis! There’s nothing like pots of cosmos gently swaying in the summer breeze… Yours are delightful.

The cosmos are lovely, the clematis seem to struggle though.

2. Lisa says:

Beautiful daylily. I noticed yesterday I didn’t have enough cosmos, so ordered more seeds. It’s not too late for me to start again.

3. Rainy and windy here too ๐Ÿ˜ฆ ! Your garden is full of colour though, cutting through any gloom I should think!

Not so much rain here, but a persistent mizzle and fog or perhaps cloud! We are pretty high up! And very close to the Atlantic.

1. Windy here now, worse than drizzle!

4. Lovely clematis and cosmos. I haven’t grown any this year but plenty of my dahlias to fill the gaps. I’ve grown lots of verbena from seed. Just starting the process of planting along the border and added a shorter rigida today. Hopefully bring some more butterflies in.

I took a cutting of the verbena and noticed this afternoon that it is flowering! Now to find somewhere to plant it out. The rigida would be better here, but lollipop is well staked and looking good so far!

5. Murtagh's Meadow says:

That first clematis is a lovely pink. Wonderful flowers all in all.

it is a lovely colour, at first I thought it was Princess Kate but then I remembered that she is white with a deep pink reverse. I do hope she flowers soon, though this wind is playing havoc with the clematis.

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Yes very windy here tonight too – was out in rain tying things up

It’s always lovely strolling round the garden with you, Jude. Thanks for your company today ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

And yours Jo. ๐Ÿ˜

7. Colline says:

Your garden is absolutely beautiful

8. I’ve thought about growing clematis but never got around to it. Your beautiful photos are inspirational. ๐Ÿ™‚

They are lovely when in full flower, I never seem to get that floriferous look though. Not sure why as I do try to prune in the correct months.

9. Cathy says:

Lovely splashes of colour, Jude. What is the cosmos with the pink edge? And how shady/dry is your woodland bed that Prince Charles is is in? I have wondered about adding clematis in the woodland edge border here. Oh, and another question, how did you take your verbena cuttings?

Verbena cuttings? Haha… like the way I take most cuttings Cathy, it was just a broken bit that I cut near a leaf node and stuck into a pot of compost! Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn’t. I put the nursery pots in a sheltered spot (where the S&S seem to live strangely enough). None of my beds are particularly dry as they are all raised. The sun hits Prince Charles at the top in mid morning and then moves around so he gets it full on in late afternoon. The Cosmos is ‘Fizzy Rose Picotee’

1. Cathy says:

That’s obviously the way to do it then, although I wouldn’t have thought of cuttings from this verbena. I strictly followed Carol Klein’s advice for clematis and honeysuckle cuttings at the weekend though, because where the cutting was taking seemed to be important and they are not things I have taken cuttings from before. Thanks for info on shade, etc

10. Noelle M says:

Those purple accents are working beautifully in your garden, both the tall one and the Salvia. I may just be lacking some tall verbenas in the garden. I like verticals that preferably don’t need staking. Prince Charles clematis does really well in a vase in water. At least should you decided to cut down the large clematis, there won’t be any thorns, but I guess you have missed the pruning slot for that clematis this year..

I might cut the old clematis down anyway – apart from where Charlie is clinging to it! If I do it bit by bit then I can keep stuffing it in the garden waste bin ๐Ÿ˜‚