hoverfly and one flower

on

Cee is hosting the Lens-Artists Photo Challenge this week and as a huge lover of flower photography her choice is ‘one flower’. As I post many flowers on my blogs I wasn’t going to join in this week, until I captured this lovely Marmalade (?) hoverfly (just look at that pattern!) on an Ox-eye daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare also known as a dog-daisy or moon-daisy), whilst I was gardening yesterday. It just cries out to be published.

Strictly speaking a daisy is NOT one flower. It is a solitary composite flower of white rays (petals) surrounding a yellow disc floret (tiny petalless flowers). The open flower heads of Ox-eye daisy attract a large range of pollinating insects particularly bees, butterflies and hoverflies.

โ€œIf we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly our whole life would change.โ€

~Buddha

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #101 | One Flower

Nice capture, Jude. I used to think hover-flies were wasps when I was young. It took me a long time to stop swatting them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Easily confused!

That don’t sting!

I know that now, but didn’t trust them when I was young. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Interesting patterns on the fly! Lovely capture…

Thank you. It’s always useful to have a camera handy!

So that’s us told! Wishing you a Monday full of flowers ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’•

Gloomy again, it doesn’t feel like we are close to the longest day! ๐Ÿ˜ญ

But warm? My English lady friends were due to arrive today. One of them is playing cricket in the garden with her grandson. Says it’s warm but overcast ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ’•

Not cold but not exceptionally warm. Remember we are practically surrounded by the sea here so never reach those high temperatures inland.

But you don’t like it too hot! There was a fresh breeze down at the beach this morning but it’s 23C back at home. Set to get a lot hotter soon. Careful what you wish for! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ’•

23C is fine for me, I’m not bothered about anything much hotter, Today is probably not more than 16 degrees. So I could do with a tad more warmth!

4. Lovely capture, Jude. Interesting info about daisies. Have a good week. ๐Ÿค—

I know Jo moans about me being a stickler for detail ๐Ÿ˜‚ but these composite flowers are so interesting! Glad you like the little fly!

5. Tina Schell says:

That’s a beauty Jude. never heard of a hoverfly but what an amazing pattern it has. You’ve captured it perfectly and I loved learning about the daisy. Who knew?!

Hoverflies are very pretty and they have different patterns, I’m not certain this is a Marmalade, but I love the name!

6. margaret21 says:

Oh yes, that was crying out for a wider audience. Lovely.

I thought so ๐Ÿ˜†

Great image, Jude!

8. susurrus says:

I can see why you couldn’t resist joining in. The daisy is basking in the sunlight in more ways than one. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Sandra says:

Absolutely deserves to be published – simply beautiful.
    (Our weather has been rather good for the past two days – not at all what the forecast suggested. Showers all day forecast for tomorrow. We’ll see…)

We have all the rain and cloudy weather down here! Although yesterday afternoon was sunny in parts. Enough for me to spend 4 hours gardening!

10. Cee Neuner says:

You really nailed that hover fly spectacularly well. I’m so glad you decided to play in this week’s challenge. Also thanks for adding to the fun of hosting this week. ๐Ÿ˜€