Six on Saturday | Summer?

Typically as summer arrives the British weather deteriorates. Combined with the dull skies my enthusiasm has plummeted this week too and I have found it difficult to work up any energy to get outside. And where did that violent wind come from on Thursday that even managed to upend my hydrangea in a very large container? Fortunately, on Tuesday, I did get around to planting the 7 new plants which arrived at the end of last week and take some photographs. I also thinned out the lettuce and salad leaves I had sown, and ate the little seedlings rather than them away. Very tasty too! I hope the ones left continue to grow and provide me with some tasty salads in a month or so.

Seems like a good week then to introduce to you the six new Heucheras/ Heucherellas I bought – all from Heucheraholics nursery and all in beautiful condition. (1) – (4) have all been planted in the new semi-shaded bed that I created last autumn under the twisted hazel tree which gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I had to remove a pink Geranium x oxonianum from there first that was threatening to take over the entire bed. It took a lot of pulling I can tell you! And getting your eye poked out by a hazel branch is no fun either! (5) and (6) are in pots and will be moved to the front courtyard where it is shady all year round.

(1) Heucherella ‘Buttered Rum’ – Beautiful deeply cut maple shaped foliage in rich caramel tones. Foliage colour richens and deepens to a rich glossy burnished rosy red in winter. Masses of spires of fuffy white starry flowers all season. Looks lovely in partial shady border or as a container plant. (when I looked at my order this should have been ‘Brass Lantern’ but that must have been sold out). I’m not unhappy with the substitute, though I shall be keeping my eye on its location as my other Heucherellas (not from this nursery) have died.

(2) Heuchera ‘Champagne’ – Lovely  amber peachy champagne -gold foliage with a silvery white veil that changes through the season. Light peachy flowers on maroon stems adorn the plant with their elegance. Lovely for a shady border or as a colourful container plant.

(3) Heuchera ‘Coralberry’ Indian Summer Series – Really pretty semi ruffled pink foliage with darker veining  ideal for mixing with other colours in the border or excellent in containers. White flowers in spring /summer.  I have probably planted this too close to the cowslip, but I will move the cowslip once it has stopped flowering.

(4) Heucherella ‘ Golden Zebra’ – A really striking combination of feathery bright golden foliage with rich ruby red central markings. Lush foliage on a tight crown make this an excellent container or ground cover plant. Spires of creamy white flowers are continually borne in spring and summer.

(5) Heuchera ‘Ginger Ale’ – Effervescent flowers in shades of ginger yellow and light pink erupt on tall stems over Gorgeous Soft  gingery coloured, silver veiled foliage. Foliage changes all season, looking lovely in part shady borders or as a great container plant.

(6) Heuchera ‘Red Lightening’ – Large golden leaves with fantastic red veining running through them – becoming stronger in cooler weather. Large spikes of white flowers in summer. Makes a great show in shady spot or lovely in containers for all year colour. (Slightly irritated by the name as it should surely be Lightning!)

Although I went for shade loving and container varieties, because of where I want to plant them, the names themselves make me drool! There are so many different colours of the foliage that the flowers are simply a bonus.

PS The seventh plant I bought is Geranium Rozanne. Now safely installed in the bee and butterfly bed and featuring as the header photo.

And although gardens, garden centres and nurseries are open now remember to stay alert out there!

They are interesting colours, Jude. We used to have several in the UK garden. 🙂 🙂

And the S&S leave them alone!

2. Murtagh's Meadow says:

It has been dull here too – but your lovely plants beings lots of colour. I particularly like the one called Golden Zebra

3. Su Leslie says:

Sorry to hear you’re felling a bit meh Jude. Hope the sun shines soon and you get your energy back.

I need a change of scenery Su.

1. Su Leslie says:

I can understand that. I really hope that things improve soon and you can at least visit your daughter.

That would be great.

4. You know so much about gardening and a wide variety of plants-are you self-taught or are you a botanist.. or ? In any case, appreciate your posts! (And I get the irritation with the word “lightening”!)

Self taught. I like photographing flowers and always want to know the ID and the Latin name is good to know as many different plants have the same or similar common names. Google is a great source of finding the information too 😊

1. Great job dispensing all that fogging gathered.

2. Oops–correction: great job dispensing all the info gathered!

5. Tina Schell says:

Wow Jude, must admit I’ve never heard of Heucherella but they are gorgeous! You must post a few images of them post-planting. Hope your weather cooperates!

These are all planted Tina, but I will take more photos when / if they flower this year.

6. bushboy says:

Leaves help make a garden interested 😀

Leaves? Foliage please 😨 and they do actually have pretty flowers 💐

1. bushboy says:

Give me a break. It was early Sunday morning. Foliage is a big word for early morning brain to get around 😅

7. These plants are new to me. Aren’t the leaves pretty.

Not only pretty but virtually S&S proof, though a couple of the Heucherellas and Tiarellas I bought a year or so ago haven’t survived.

8. pommepal says:

Just love the foliage colours, so much variety giving all year colour. I grew these in NZ, but won’t grow here, unfortunately. Hard to chose a favourite, but I think “buttered rum” catches my eye, love the name too. Hope your weather improves soon. We are having very welcome rain, but still warm.

9. Cathy says:

Always hard to make choices from a heuchera catalogue and how lovely to have all these new plants!

10. Dina says:

I hope your eye is fine again by now. Interesting introduction to your six new Heucheras, I’m not so familiar with the plant, but I’m sure they all looks stunning beneath the tree. Sometimes you can wonder what inspired the names giver. Cheers! 🥂

The eye is fine thanks Dina. Lasted about a week, most odd. The Heucheras are good for shady spots in the garden though the darker ones don’t mind sun.