Six on Saturday | Summer 2020

Welcome summer time! Although the week began with beautiful summer weather, it deteriorated mid-week reverting to typical British summertime with cloudy skies and brisk winds, though not so much in the way of rain.

This week’s six are all blues and purples that are in flower in my garden during this week.

(1) Hebe (Shrubby Veronica). A New Zealand plant that does very well here in the south-west, almost a weed as it self-seeds everywhere, even in the smallest of cracks! This one is in fact a cutting that it barely two years old. Although this can seemingly flower at different times of the year, May / June are the most floriferous months.

(2) Geranium x ‘Magnificum’ a glorious large dark violet-blue flower, it is a shame that this flowers for such a short time. But deservedly of the name.

(3) Gertie and campanula – such a lovely combination of colours and completely randomly planted.

(4) Sisyrinchium a pretty alpine with little dark-eyed, violet-blue flowers with yellow centres which stare up at you from tufts of grassy foliage from early summer onwards.  This is planted in my Belfast sink, but I am going to remove all the plants from here and instead use it for Sempervivums.

(5) Geranium oxonianum ‘Thurstonianum’ (Thurston’s cranesbill) – a rather different looking one this week with light green, 5-lobed leaves and pink to purple flowers 2.5cm wide, sometimes double, and with very narrow petals. This is planted in the shade under the contorted/twisted Hazel tree.

(6) Buddleia alternifolia (also known as alternate-leaved butterfly bush) – this is bigger than ever this year, but still needs shaping properly so the branches actually weep. There are a lot more flowers this year and I have even seen a Red Admiral butterfly visiting! This large deciduous shrub or small tree has arching branches that nearly touch the floor and produces clusters of sweetly scented purple-lilac flowers along it’s weeping branches. It needs to be pruned after flowering as the flowers are borne in clusters along the previous year’s shoots

Apologies to all the sixers whose sites I didn’t get around to visiting last week. There are so many now that it could become a full time job!  But as always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’  who is also having a bit of a purple theme this week and where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

Remember to stay alert out there!

1. Tina Schell says:

As we speak our summer thunderstorm has rolled in, dousing us with rain. Happily it will be gone before you know it. Sadly it doesn’t leave behind the magnificent floral display that your summer brings! Do you think my lack of gardening skills may have something to do with it? 🙂

2. susurrus says:

Gertie and campanula are a match made in heaven – or rather Cornwall.

Haha… yes.

3. So beautiful. I love hebes and Buddleia… Both are great at attracting butterflies and bees.

4. A very pretty collection this week. I love that purple geranium.

Favourite is the Sisy-something 🙂 🙂 but the roses and campanula are very winsome. Happy Sunday!

6. Cathy says:

Had to smile to see whatever-weed-it-is next to the second geranium – a combination seen here too! I did look the weed up once and I think it was a relative of rose bay willow herb. Probably the most widespread weed in my garden

1. Cathy says:

Oh, have I got it wrong? Next to the G. thurstonianum? Big apologies if I am wrong!

Pulled it out now, so I hope it was! Actually I am sure it was. I yanked some out of the Cornish hedge too that I was waiting to flower to see what they were 😁

2. Cathy says:

I am so glad you agree that it probably was a weed!

Well it didn’t look like anything I had planted there!

7. BeckyB says:

Geranium x ‘Magnificum’ is one of my favourite self seeded plants in the garden

Wish mine would self seed, seems only the pink ones do! A pity it only flowers for a month whereas the pink ones go on for ages.

1. BeckyB says:

I’ve got in a habit of letting every seedling have a chance . . which probably explains why the ground elder is in charge!

8. Catherine says:

I see that the weather in your area was much the same as ours, it was a bit of a letdown going back to the reality of weather in the UK. Your plants don’t seem to have suffered though, the colour of the Geranium x ‘Magnificum’ is fabulous – so intense.

Gertrude and the campanula look fabulous together. I’ve planted Stachys monieri Hummelo beside my Gertrude, (tiny at the moment) fingers crossed they’ll get on quite well together.

Hope you keep the Sisyrinchium when you take it from the sink – it’s very pretty.

My ox-eye daisies in the ‘wild garden’ have suffered, they are all flattened and hanging over the edge of the wall (Cornish hedge). I probably need to do something about them as they are now covering the osteospermum. It can wait until tomorrow though as it is still unpleasantly windy.

I will keep the Sisy, find another pot for it I think along with the saxifrage which suffered in the wet winter.

9. n20gardener says:

A great combination. All very much my style of planting. I particularly enjoyed the geraniums. I’ve just pulled up a swathe of ox-eye daisies due to their flattened look – could be wind and/or drought. There are plenty of seedlings around so they will be back. I also have an endless supply of rose bay willow herb which was running wild when we moved in. Rumour has it you can rename a link in Block Editor. I have the insert link button but cannot edit the link – any advice?

My ox – eye daisies have definitely been flattened by the wind. I will have to thin them out shortly but they have only just started flowering. As for the link, I haven’t really played with that, but I’ll have a look. I’m still using the classic editor. When I have tried the block editor I have found it to look like a dog’s dinner in the mobile view!

1. n20gardener says:

I’ll keep nosing around in BE, I did see some useful blocks but I may need to change my theme to make best use of them.

10. Sisyrinchiums are one of my favourite plants. The flowers are small but pack a real vibrant punch and so much depth. I am glad you are replacing them with Sempervivums and I am sure you will find a new spot for the Sisyrinchium. If you are worried about the wet in winter prop up one of the ends of the Belfast sink with a stone and let the water run off.

The Belfast sink is sitting on blocks so can drain and I filled the bottom inch or so with grit, but I will empty it and start from scratch once the weather improves.