Six on Saturday | Summer 2020

Welcome summer time! Although the week began with beautiful summer weather, it deteriorated mid-week reverting to typical British summertime with cloudy skies and brisk winds, though not so much in the way of rain.

This week’s six are all blues and purples that are in flower in my garden during this week.

(1) Hebe (Shrubby Veronica). A New Zealand plant that does very well here in the south-west, almost a weed as it self-seeds everywhere, even in the smallest of cracks! This one is in fact a cutting that it barely two years old. Although this can seemingly flower at different times of the year, May / June are the most floriferous months.

(2) Geranium x ‘Magnificum’ a glorious large dark violet-blue flower, it is a shame that this flowers for such a short time. But deservedly of the name.

(3) Gertie and campanula – such a lovely combination of colours and completely randomly planted.

(4) Sisyrinchium a pretty alpine with little dark-eyed, violet-blue flowers with yellow centres which stare up at you from tufts of grassy foliage from early summer onwards.  This is planted in my Belfast sink, but I am going to remove all the plants from here and instead use it for Sempervivums.

(5) Geranium oxonianum ‘Thurstonianum’ (Thurston’s cranesbill) – a rather different looking one this week with light green, 5-lobed leaves and pink to purple flowers 2.5cm wide, sometimes double, and with very narrow petals. This is planted in the shade under the contorted/twisted Hazel tree.

(6) Buddleia alternifolia (also known as alternate-leaved butterfly bush) – this is bigger than ever this year, but still needs shaping properly so the branches actually weep. There are a lot more flowers this year and I have even seen a Red Admiral butterfly visiting! This large deciduous shrub or small tree has arching branches that nearly touch the floor and produces clusters of sweetly scented purple-lilac flowers along it’s weeping branches. It needs to be pruned after flowering as the flowers are borne in clusters along the previous year’s shoots

Apologies to all the sixers whose sites I didn’t get around to visiting last week. There are so many now that it could become a full time job!  But as always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’  who is also having a bit of a purple theme this week and where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

Remember to stay alert out there!

1. margaret21 says:

‘ Not much in the way of rain’? Welcome to Yorkshire, where it’s been deluging on and off for hours. And very welcome too, though I could do with a spot more warmth – and less of the gale-force winds. Thanks for the virtual garden tour. In these circumstances, few would venture out into a real garden. I’m particularly fond of the Sisyrinchium, which was all over our garden in France, but which I haven’t seen since.

We had a 5 minute shower around sunset last night, but nothing since. The wind is awful today, I have some new plants to get into the garden but there is no way I am attempting that right now. They are tucked away under a bench!

2. We are lucky with occasional showers and not that much wind. 🤞 I like the Sisyrinchium. A friend gave me a cutting but it didn’t last, unfortunately.

I bought my Sisyrinchium from the Eden Project a couple of years ago, or maybe three, it’s not doing so well now as it has done. Time to find a new home I think.

3. Lisa says:

I LOVE blue-eyed grass (Sisyrinchium)! I grew mine from seed last year and the patches have spread quite a bit already. The seeds this year didn’t germinate.

4. Sandra says:

I think some campanula would look very well with my gerties. On the list for the next plant buying spree…

I think we are getting all the rain in the East. This week went from Mediterranean summer to Shetland Island winter almost overnight. The heating is on as I type! Hailstones and thunder yesterday, and torrential rain this afternoon. 😦
    Best wishes, Pete.

Had a downpour this afternoon, but it didn’t last long. Hopefully enough to soak the garden.

I had enough to completely soak me and Ollie! 😦

6. Colline says:

I am loving all the flowers I am seeing on the blog and on my walks

7. I love the purple and blue theme. Those alliums in the first photo are a show. I may end up with the same Gertie/campanula combo as I moved Gertie to a spot where a self seeded campanula usually grows (possibly an escapee from the neighbour’s garden). If so I hope it looks as good a yours!

My campanula is self-seeded too. It was in the same pot as Gertie and has just spread wonderfully among the rocks in that part of the garden.

8. Blue flowers are a favorite of mine and I would love to know what a Belfast sink is?? I have been told Hebe will grow for me (Florida US) but I am not so sure. I have Red Admirals here and a different kind of Butterfly Bush. Vitex trifolia.

A Belfast sink is a ceramcic sink or basin that you have in the kitchen. This is an old one that we found in the garden so I use it as a planter.

1. Sounds perfect.

9. Purple is always good! We had rain on Thursday afternoon and I got wet on my walk. Other than that it’s been overnight, and today has been beautiful again despite the forecast.

We had an okay day yesterday, at least in the afternoon and the evening was lovely, today much wilder and a couple of heavy downpours. I am hoping the wind will die down tomorrow so I can get some planting done.

1. Fingers crossed for you! Nice and calm here, so far.

10. The pinks and purples are a lovely combination and one of my favourites. I love the mini sisy. I only have the tall pale yellow one.

Yes, the pink and purple are lovely together. The campanula has spread from some that self-seeded into the pot from which the rose came from. Now they are working in tandem.