Six on Saturday | the end of spring

on

I am very late with this post this week. Usually I have my post written on Friday and just waiting to link up to the Prop on Saturday. This week though has been weird, I go out into the garden for 10 minutes of weeding and come back in to find that hours have passed me by. On Tuesday I took my car into Hayle for a service and MOT which was due by tomorrow. I dithered about using the six month extension, but I rely on the test to check my car is working as it should be along with the service to fix any niggles. She is an elderly car now (12 years old tomorrow) so things are starting to wear out. Anyway, it meant I had 3 hours to kill with no cafés or toilets open! I could have taken a bus to St Ives or even Truro, but instead I decided to have a 5 mile circular walk along the George V Memorial Walk gardens and around the Towans along Hayle beach. Wednesday was spent recovering from a long and tiring walk in the heat! Thursday and Friday just disappeared with gardening and shopping and then late on Friday my herb plug plants arrived so this morning I had to get them planted or they’d surely die in the packaging!

(1) So let’s begin with the herb garden. Normally I plant herbs in one of the raised beds, but this year I am trying out the hexagonal pots I bought a couple of years ago especially for herbs, which ended up with spring bulbs that were still flowering when the herbs arrived. The herb garden has become a bit of a dumping ground nursery for young perennials to get started in.  There are three kinds of mint – apple, spearmint and Moroccan mint (plus my old ginger mint — the chocolate mint died), lemon balm, Thyme x Golden Queen  and Silver Queen, French tarragon (my old plant died this winter), and one pot already contains three types of thyme – Snowdrift, Caraway and Lemon. Other herbs such as Sage and Common Thyme were planted in the herb bed after the forget-me-nots had been evicted!

(2) Rosa Gertrude Jekyll. Many SoSers featured her last week. I am trying to persuade mine to grow as a climber and I must say that this is the best year yet for flowers. They don’t last very long though, but they do have an intense perfume. A shame she is tucked away behind the Weeping Kilmarnock Willow tree and at the bottom of the raised beds.

(3) Geranium x oxonianum  the dreary pink ones which flower in sun and shade but have so many leaves! I spent a lot of time earlier in the month pulling out self-seeded ones from around my gravel garden as they simply take over. However in the ‘woodland border’ they do add some colour and the flowers are actually very pretty.

(4) Viola ‘Fiona’ one of three named varieties that I bought last year which have survived the wet winter. Fiona is very hardy apparently! She is also very highly scented. I hope she continues to stay with me.

(5) Another daisy. I said that I was somewhat obsessed with daisy flowers. Well this one is Erigeron x glaucus ‘Sea Breeze’ / fleabane which grows in my sunny wall in the gravel garden. It is spreading nicely and I have cuttings from it in a raised bed and also the Cornish hedge.

(6) Talking of Cornish hedge, the Campanula is flowering again. This is Campanula x persicifolia ‘Blue Bell’ / fairy bellflower which has slender, upright stems that carry large open cups of large violet-blue flowers. Last year it got a bit munched, but this year it seems to be holding its own, so far. It is rather a graceful flower and somewhat wasted out in the ‘Wild Garden’.

And shortly after I finished the herb planting, some newly shorn sheep arrived at the farmyard. Usually the haulage company take them in to the yard itself, but for some reason they dropped them off at the end of the lane and marched them by my car parking area (the Wild Garden). Some of them stopped for a munch of the stuff growing in the part of the garden that I haven’t done anything to yet, this is a low wall which I want to rejuvenate and maybe plant rockery flowers in, or alternatively plant a fuchsia or wild rose hedge to hide the breeze-block wall. I am only glad there wasn’t anything expensive growing there!

“hey, up, have you found something tasty there?”

Phew! Still Saturday, but now I must go and cook dinner so I shall be visiting the other sixers tomorow. As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’  where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

Remember to stay alert out there!

1. Nearly a year since I was enjoying northern hemisphere seasons, and no sign of the next round – except in my dreams. Thank you for filling the botanical gap. I love your garden, and today my favourites are the campanula and the herb hive. I can’t believe you don’t use all your herbs. Joe makes a mean salad sandwich with every bit of green in his garden – the only reason I spend weekends at his!!!

I do use some of the herbs in cooking and salads, but I simply love the flowers and nibbling leaves or rubbing them for the smell. 😍

2. Cathy says:

Love the hexagonal planters – are they bottomless, or like ‘proper’ pots?

They are proper pots 😊

3. It must be so hard with the cafes and toilets being closed – my dad finds it difficult as it means he can’t wander too far from home for his walks!

Yes it does create a limit. I have heard some disgusting tales about people spending the day at a beach and leaving ‘deposits’ behind. What on earth is wrong with people? The beaches will still be there in a year. Just wait!

1. That is truly awful to hear – best to stay closer to home till things reopen. As you say the beaches aren’t going anywhere!

4. Love the herb planters with a nice bee hive feel to them. I’ve set up pots of herbs for my wife before but she never harvests for cooking so they get leggy. Grow lots in the border for flowers but gave up on the dedicated herb space. My GYO going well though. Might actually have something to eat soon besides radishes.
    Nice to see several forms of the geranium. Mine have been wonderful bee magnets this week.

I actually love herbs for the flowers and the way they attract pollinators, nice to nibble when out in the garden too. I might try the Moroccan mint as a tea if it grows well.

5. Sandra says:

Ah Gertrude! I have a lengthy story about my two Gertrudes but suffice to say that I too am trying to coax them into climbing and we’ve just provided them with a sturdy obelisk. Fingers crossed. Who do you use for your herb supplies, Jude? (And I hope the car passed!)

I got these herbs online from Ashridge nurseries, https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/herbs/all but there is an actual nursery in Bodmin that sell herbs: http://www.bodminnursery.co.uk/plants/herbs-alpines/ and it is open.

1. Sandra says:

Perfect! Thanks Jude! 🙂

6. I loved the sheep in your header till I learned it was your garden they were chomping on! They are cute though, and the colours this week are particularly lovely. 12 years? A mere stripling. I had a Polo for 19 years and only sadly bade it goodbye because I couldn’t get my mum or dad into the back seat any more.

Must admit the VWs do well. Mine is a Jetta and such a comfortable car for long journeys, though I haven’t done many of those since we moved here!

7. susurrus says:

Everything looks wonderful. My favourite picture today is the one of campanulas. I hope the car sailed through its MOT.

Thanks Susan. And yes the car did good!

1. susurrus says:

That’s good news. My last car made it to 15.

8. I love your herb garden, the sheep and the campanula. And the daisies. Lovely garden, Jude. 🙂

Thanks Cathy! The naughty sheep! At least they didn’t try to eat my daisies 🙂

1. Oh those naughty sheep! I’m glad they left your daisies alone. 🙂

9. Catherine says:

What an eventful and busy week you’ve had. Hope your car passed its MOT without any large bills. I love the herb planters – what a great way to grow and display your herbs.

I hope you’re successful in growing Gertrude as a climber – my sister has one, and she sent me some photographs last night – it’s a fabulous rose. My Gertrude isn’t a climber, and she’s been moved from her pot into the ground. I was concerned that she might sulk a bit, but she’s just started flowering, so I’m happy.

The geranium flowers are very pretty, and I can imagine that they would be a welcome addition to any woodland border.

I think the lesson to be taken from the hungry sheep is not to ever grow anything expensive in that spot. 🙂

My Gertie isn’t a climber either, but I am trying to tie in the stems horizontally to encourage more flowering. It seems to be working. She was originally in a pot. The geraniums have pretty flowers but oh, so many leaves!

10. Tina Schell says:

Well Jude, you know how much I love your gardens and your beautiful flowers but this week I am definitely a sucker for the sheep! Not something we see around here very often/EVER! Perhaps you need to plant something they will really like to make sure they come back 🙂