delicate colours

on

delicate (adj.) – very fine in texture or structure; of intricate workmanship or quality / dainty / graceful / elegant

I suppose we think of delicate colours as those that are very pale; pastels, ethereal, soft. So I had a look around the lanes and my walk along George V yesterday to try and capture some of that softness that surrounds us in May. Blossom abounds during this month and now Hawthorn (May blossom) takes front stage. Not only does it have delicate flowers, but a delicate scent pervades the air in the warm sunshine.

And if you look carefully at a flower you can see how intricate the design often is. Take the header flower for instance- Aquilegia (Granny’s Bonnet) come in all shades from the darkest purple to the purest white, but each and every one has the delicate nodding bonnet-shaped flower heads and the spurred petals of their flowers which are often two-toned.

(Please click on an image to enlarge)

Nigella damascena (above) have the most delicate and fragile looking flowers and foliage and yet they are very strong plants. Even the common name given to them “Love-in-a -mist” conjours up delicacy. And the colours range from deep blues through to rose and white.

Phlomis italica ‘Pink Glory’ is a pastel symphony of felty grey leaves and whorls of flowers in palest pink. How can you resist not stroking those leaves?

And just look at those delicate hairs on the end of the foxglove tubular flowers, just waiting for a bee to land and follow the patterned path to the nectar hidden inside.

Blossom, dainty nodding heads, intricate patterns, newly unfurled fronds of ferns and soft textures – this month abounds with delicate colours. And I don’t have far to see some as this is how the lanes in Cornwall look at the moment – full of the frothy heads of Cow Parsley entwined with the pink Red Campion and the pinky-purple of native Foxgloves.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #98 | Delicate Colours

1. pommepal says:

Delightfully delicate display Jude I would love to whisk over and walk down those Cornish lanes with you

Lovely weather at the moment to do that too. 😁

2. I’ve planted some Nigella seedlings in my rose garden and am hoping for a nice display in spring.

I tried growing seed a couple of years ago but only a few germinated. My borders/beds are a bit too crowded. But I might try again in a pot.

3. Leya says:

Oh Jude…this is such a joy to my heart! And eyes! What abundance, what glory of delicate colours and shapes! You must live as close to a heaven as is possible. I would have loved to walk there in the sunshine, drinking in all that glory! Someday when/if it is possible, I will go to the English countryside again! Thank you for one of the most delicious posts ever – and how did you make that collage? Something for my wall.

The collage is made using Pixlr express, but it uses Flash so won’t be available at the end of the year. I haven’t found another program that is as easy to use, but there must be some out there
      I’m glad you enjoyed the flowers, I was getting a bit carried away 😁

1. Leya says:

I love it when you get carried away!

4. pattimoed says:

Oh, Jude. These flowers are glorious! Thanks for sharing. I’d love to be in your corner of the world right now!

That garden is getting a bit overgrown but there are some wonderful and unusual plants there. I’m glad that I am now allowed to walk along there. The lanes of course just do their own thing. May is the best month.

1. pattimoed says:

Absolutely stunning.

5. These are some beautiful pictures, and love the attention to detail. We often don’t notice some off the more subtle colours in flowers, but this reminds you of how important it is.

6. BeckyB says:

oh these are goregous

1. BeckyB says:

PS we’d love it if you joined us (Sue, Debbie, Margaret, me and Jo) one Saturday for our afternoon tea chats. Got a goat joining us this Saturday if that helps tempt you!

7. Ann Mackay says:

These are really lovely! Reading your post is like being able to go for a marvellously flower-filled walk. 🙂 And I’m glad that nigella is so tough because it’s having to cope with some very rough areas in my garden right now!

8. Cathy says:

Your photo of the nigella is lovely, Jude, and I am interested in your pink phlomis – I have tried several times to establish a pink variety here, without success, and will look out for this one. Do you have it in a pot?

These flowers are in the memorial garden Cathy where lots of southern hemisphere plants grow happily. I wish it was MY garden!

1. Cathy says:

Oh sorry Jude, I must have been looking more at the pictures than the text!

9. I love these pretty soft delicate colours Jude – you’re obviously having idyllic weather!

Oh, Rosemary I can’t tell you how wonderful the spring weather has been, and after all that horrid winter rain it is so appreciated. I’d be happy for it to stay like this until December!!

1. It must be lovely and so good for the spirits! We are now into winter and it’s been damp and much cooler for about a week or so but we know it won’t last too long and things will start warming up by September/October. Enjoy the wonderful spring sunshine! 🙂

I wouldn’t mind winter so much if it was dry and cold, but the endless wet is depressing. And it rained almost constantly from September to March! At least you have very short winters.

2. Yes we really only get maybe three months of proper winter. It does get cold but obviously it’s all relative. I also prefer dry and cold conditions, which is what we often get here in Perth in the winter. Recently though it’s been very wild and stormy and we’ve had a lot of rain so it feels rather damp. The endless wet weather you had over the autumn and winter months must have been most depressing. Thankfully you’ve got some sunshine now! 🙂

10. So beautiful, Jude. They are all nature’s miracles, aren’t they? 😍