bees and one butterfly

pastime (noun) –Β  an activity that someone does regularly for enjoyment rather than work; a hobby.

I don’t have many pastimes. Mainly gardening and photography take up my time now that I am retired. So flower photography is pretty much a given. What I do like to do at this time of year is try and capture the bees and butterflies and other pollinators that come into my garden. So here are a few from this week:

(Please click on an image to enlarge)

Watching the bees land on the lupins is so interesting, they land on the lower part of the flower which then opens with the weight of the bee and reveals the stamens inside. Perfect synchronicity.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #97 | Pastimes

1. carylbeach says:

Great captures. I’ve been unsuccessful in getting a good shot of the bees on the alliums as they move around too fast! But it is a lovely past time watching them and my two robins nesting nearby in the ivy. Beautiful photos today πŸ™‚

Oddly enough I haven’t seen any on the Alliums. How lovely to have robins nesting in your garden though!

2. Some lovely shots there. I’ve spent time the last few days staking out the bleeding hearts as the bees have been working along them. Finally got a picture I was happy with yesterday where the bee and flower was in focus and the bee was actually on the right side of the flower.

Yes, you have to be patient.

3. bushboy says:

Fabulous Jude πŸπŸπŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Cheers BB πŸ™‚

With great caution when it comes to bees. I’d far rather chase butterflies. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ And what a cracking name for a blog! I must go and find out what Mr. Wild is all about πŸ™‚

Sadly hardly any butterflies πŸ¦‹ so far this year. And no honey bees, but that might be because there are a lot of Echiums in flower nearby and they prefer those.

BTW Who is Mr Wild?

30 days of Wild Parenting. Isn’t that an irresistible blog name? I popped in. Strolled into town to eat tonight. Muggy and it felt like the mozzies are biting. If it’s not one thing… πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Nice you can go out to eat. I think one of our local chippies is opening for takeaway from this weekend. May try that next week. But OH is going to have to celebrate his birthday at home this year, might manage steak and chips! How’s the finger? Any better?

I forgot it was the OH’s birthday soon. James should have been out here this week, which is part of the reason for my woefulness. Perfect beach weather too. I know- get a grip πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ The nail is black and still very tender. Will probably lose it.

I know, half term, though it won’t seem like it. Are your schools back yet? I can’t imagine how I would have managed with my 4 at home, especially as I’d probably still been working! I hope your youngster is still managing to visit his dad, give James some space. And keep an eye on the nail. It could get infected.

Schools not back here. James isn’t a great communicator, which doesn’t help anything. Logan went to Doncaster to his Dad midweek. Not sure if he’s back yet. πŸ™„πŸ’•

5. margaret21 says:

Great shots. They tend not to wait around for me, bees and butterflies.

I only just managed the butterfly shot, the next one was just rose leaves! πŸ˜‚

Always nice to get a sharp bee photo. Their furry bodies are so satisfying to capture on camera.

The lupin one was best as it remained still for longer. I really needed the faster lens on the camera. No point trying today as the wind is back in force!

7. janesmudgeegarden says:

Butterfly shots are so difficult as they seem to fold their wings up when they land. I haven’t managed a photo for ages.

Me neither! Last year there was a dearth of butterflies in my garden, I hope more will visit this year.

8. Tina Schell says:

Lovely, both the flowers and their visitors Jude. Loved your titles too 😊. We have very few bees here but zillions of butterflies. Funny how nature distributes her beauty

I love butterflies πŸ¦‹ but didn’t see many last year either.

9. Great captures. I love the Green veined white butterfly the best. Amazing photo. πŸ™‚

First time I have seen one in the garden that landed long enough to get a shot.

1. Those little critters are hard to capture. πŸ™‚

10. Such gorgeous flowers! And you have captured the bees beautifully. The bees and butterflies are just starting to show up here in the garden as the weather has been so wet these past few weeks. I love your perspective on the butterfly. Thank you so much for sharing your pastime and participating in the challenge.

Thank you Sue, the butterfly perspective was purely by chance, when I tried to move the leaves to get a better shot it flew away!