Six on Saturday | Mid May

It is a little worrying how fast the months are passing by when I haven’t been anywhere! Already mid May and only a few weeks away from the longest day! I really want these weeks to slow down.

Today we’ll have a look in the gravel garden/sunny border:

(1) My favourite South African daisy the Osteospermum are looking really good this year, the white and pink ones (O.  ‘Snow Pixie’ and O. jucundum var. compactum) are sprawling down the wall and into the gravel. “Tresco Purple” is growing back after I cut it down a couple of months ago so not featured here. I find if I don’t cut that one back hard the flowers become smaller and smaller.

(2) Hardy Geranium renardii has a mound of soft green, velvety, round leaves which forms a pretty background to shallowly, cupped white flowers. Mine has struggled to flower at the right time of year, but there is a pretty spray at the moment. I love the purple ‘eyelashes’.

(3) Agave Americana Variegata (in a container) enjoying being back outdoors basking in the sunshine.

(4) Climber Celastrus orbiculatus – or bittersweet vine is a strong-growing deciduous climber with rounded leaves, colouring butter-yellow in autumn, and inconspicuous greenish flowers followed by yellow fruits which may split to show scarlet seeds. Apparently a hermaphrodite form is available, so fruit can appear from a single plant.  Mine is obviously a male as I do not get those lovely seeds. I wonder if I dare look for a female. As you can see on the third photo, the flowers are very much underwhelming!

(5) Alliums in the raised bed. All these have re-appeared from last year. Impressive given the wet winter! They are  mixed Allium ‘Superglobe’ (different shapes and colours) and almost the same photos as I took last year!

(6) and for the final offering let’s step outside the garden for a minute and enjoy an early morning view of Alice, the derelict engine house at the bottom of the hill along with some newborn calves. My view every morning.

When I had a look at the post I wrote at this time last year I was amazed to see the exact six flowers that I had selected for today’s post. So I have changed them apart from the Osteos and Alliums as they are looking so good at the moment. It seems I am beginning to repeat myself…

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’  where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

Remember to stay alert out there!

1. I have to say what a wonderful view. I haven’t grown osteospermum for years….another one on my “Must have ” list. Lovely Six-on-Saturday.

The view does make up a lot for the downsides of living here. Good cloud watching, sunsets and clear starry skies too!

2. What a view! The gravel garden is looking lovely. A like the purple eyelashes of the geranium! I purchased a pink Osteospermum last summer for the sunny front garden but it’s yet to get going properly. I hope it does as well as yours eventually.

These osteos were small plants last year so they are doing very well now. Dead heading seems to improve the flowering.

3. Lisa says:

That view is a picture postcard, isn’t it? Wonderful. I find I repeat myself too! Today is my Instagram one year anniversary (garden stuff, not celebrity gossip!) and I think it’s all seeming too familiar.

I’m afraid that unless you have a very large garden (and I don’t) then the plants aren’t going to change too much. Just a case of looking for ones that maybe didn’t make the cut last year!

It’s a funny thing but no matter how the seasons muck about we do still pretty much get the same flowers when we get to May, don’t we? Love the allium varieties and osteospermums, though the names always makes me think of osteoporosis. Cheerful soul, aren’t I? Partly because I jammed my middle finger in a car door earlier today and it’s now the colour of those alliums. 🙂 🙂 Some folks will do anything not to have to cook, you know!

1. Your garden is looking great. I seem to have plants everywhere at the moment. Very envious of your Osteospermums

The Osteos are delightful and romping away at the moment. I must take some cuttings though.

Ouch! That is SO painful. Hope your finger is ok. I did that in the boot of my car years ago and probably broke it. I have a very distorted finger. I am so looking forward to eating out – cooking every day is getting very tiresome.

5. Chloris says:

Wonderful osteospermums and a view like that makes up for having to stay at home. Or don’t we have to any more? I’ve lost track.

Well, I did drive to a beach on Wednesday and I might have another drive next week, but I am very cautious of where I go and of course how far, no refreshments available and more importantly, no public loos open!

6. Murtagh's Meadow says:

What a lovely selection. My alliums are just coming but I have one similar to yours. I cannot get Osteospermums to survive here. It lasts one season and doesn’t return.

You need the hardy Osteos. These ones are quite hardy. But I don’t get much in the way of frost. Do you?

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Yes, we get frost and for second year running we’e had frost in May. Not good

7. All looks so beautiful.

Thank you. Moved from the tulips to the Alliums now and the perennials are making their way – those that didn’t succumb to the winter wet.

8. Colline says:

Your garden does look beautiful Jude

Thank you Colline, glad you enjoy looking at it.

9. I was just thinking the other day it won’t be long until the shortest day of the year for us and then thought of you and knew you would lament the passing of the longest day! Your alliums look beautiful.

The longest day seems to come about so quickly and yet the time around the shortest day drags on. I dread the winter months.