The Last Tulip Hurrah

My tulips have all but finished now. The storm on Monday night last week not only revealed another leak in the roof, but also blew away the last of the petals from most of the tulips I have grown this year. Only two remain – some White Triumphator in the raised bed and a pot of China Pink which look like flamingos swaying away in the wind. I thought I’d do a final post on the tulips I bought for this spring so that in future years I can look back and see how certain ones fared and which ones I prefer.

J. Parkers Tulip Fluted Collection (Lily Flowering) (Pack of 60) – £19.94

(1) Red Shine

One of the earliest to flower in late March red Shine is a glowing ruby-red (though I’d say mine are very much a lipstick red) flower with the lovely elegant lily-flowered shape. It gets its name from the way the petals literally shine when struck by the sun. According to the description by J.Parkers this should have a yellow base, but mine appear to have a white base! It really glows in the sunshine. And flowers for several weeks. These were planted in one of my blue glazed pots which contains a scented-leaf pelargonium.

(2) Lasting Love

This was also beginning to open by the end of March. The flowers also lasted several weeks and change colour from a pinky -purple tulip with darker tones. Mine became a darker red with age and at the base they have a purple/black marking which was much more noticeable as the flower aged.  I planted these in a black container where they will remain to die down.

(3) West Point

I was not sure about this tulip when I first saw it in bud. It looked quite strange, a very elongated flute-shape. As it matured and the flowers opened in the sun and closed again in the shade I became quite fond of their pretty star-shape. These were grown in a cheap black plastic container that I will leave them in to die down and then replant in fresh compost in October.  They flowered for weeks too and were very cheerful in the sunshine.

(4) White Triumphator

Tulipa White Triumphator is creamy white, fading to white, with very pointed petals on shorter stems so probably has good weather resistance. They start off with green buds and when young they have a distinct greenish-white band, so I’m not certain this is named correctly. Though the green band disappears as the flowers mature. I planted these in my raised bed where I have blue and white flowers (and a few other colours now!) These began flowering in early April and hung on to mid May, this bed is quite shady at this time of the year.

(5) China Pink

This tulip was the last to open, probably around mid-April when it began to colour up with a faint green tinge and a white base. I am not a pink person although I do appear to have several pink flowers in my garden, so I wasn’t sure whether I would like this one or not. It has a very distinctive flute-shaped flower and in the breeze from a distance they look like pretty flamingos. These are also planted in a black container and will remain there to die.

(6) Ballerina

Ballerina is probably my all-time favourite. A tall, elegant lily-flowered tulip with a distinctive citrus fragrance. She is a tall tulip and has a lovely shape and colours, looking especially good when the sun shines through her. Also grown in a black container. I might try and find room for Ballerina in one of the raised beds in October.

Plus Tulip Green Star/Dolls Minuet (Pack of 20) £7.98

(1) Green Star

Tulipa ‘Green Star’  opens right out to a five pointed, stripy green and white star. It has the elegance and poise of a Lily-flowered tulip but with the longevity and elegance of a Viridiflora. I bought these to go in the shady courtyard as viridifloras like shade. But they remained in the garden in the sunshine. They are a very elegant tulip with very neat foliage. Also planted in a black container.

(2) Doll’s Minuet

Doll’s Minuet another viridiflora but in contrasting carmine pink and green stripes which has a much shorter stem and is very difficult to photograph the colour accurately. This was the least lasting flower, opening in mid April for a couple of weeks. It was in the full sun though so maybe this would have fared better in a shadier location.

(3) Tulip Long Stemmed Mixed (Pack of 30) free – all planted into the wide zinc planter and were very early flowering. Mainly goblet shaped and in various colours. They lasted very well and the bright colours cheered us up a lot during March and April.

Peter Nyssen

(1) Tres Chic (10) which is included in the White as Snow Collection (£13.10) which includes  (10) Narcissus ‘Thalia’, (25) Crocus Snowbunting, (25) Cionodoxa luciliae Alba

Tulipa Tres Chic is a pure white perfectly formed flower carried on a tall slender stem, very strong and sturdy. A beautifully shaped lily-flower with a nipped in waist. This was planted in a container along with Narcissi ‘Thalia’ which is also pure white and scented. These flowers would probably look lovely mixed with some purples or pinks like Ronaldo and China Pink.

(2) Queen of Night (10) £3.80

I really like the colour of Queen of Night and it really shines in the sun. Nice goblet shaped flowers and tidy foliage, these are very tall tulips and I was concerned that they would be snapped in the wind that we get here. But they lasted well, though we didn’t have severe winds in April. They would look nice with the orange of Ballerina. These were planted in another of my blue glazed pots which contains a different scented-leaf pelargonium and will be left to see if they return next year.

(3) Flaming Spring Green (10) £5.20

Tulipa ‘Flaming Spring Green’ a Viridiflora tulip with an ivory base and streaks of raspberry ripple and green. It began flowering in early April and was still looking good at the end of the month. A beautiful tulip which shines in the sunlight. These were planted in the raised bed. They would look nice with Red Shine nearby.

Total Cost = £50.02 I had beautiful flowers that brought a lot of pleasure from mid-March to mid-May, a good 8 weeks, for a little under than £1 a day.

1. Breathtakingly beautiful. Thanks for brightening my day. Mel

You are most welcome Mel.

2. carylbeach says:

They are all fabulous but the green star is stunning, something about the colour combo and pointed petals- gorgeous! My ruby red tulips are still hanging on although they have lost much of their vibrance now. Great photos, your garden is amazing!

Thank you. The Green Star is quite amazing, I really like that one, the shape is unusual, all sort of twisted! It would look lovely with some red tulips.

3. margaret21 says:

Lovely. I never realised what a huge variety there are.

Neither did I!

I thought that this year I would try different ones to see how they fared, lucky April was such a gentle month weatherwise. I do like the lily – shaped ones.

4. Great summary. I’m just left with the blacks and whites. Tres chic hanging on in a pot. Queen of the night fading away and my black parrot hanging on.

I wasn’t that taken with Tres Chic, mine were quite short, is that normal?

1. I’d describe mine as mid height for a tulip. About 30cm upwards. Not as short as say the dolls minuets but not my tallest. Mine are in a pot raised up above others though so stand out.

Doll’s Minuet is much shorter than I expected.

2. Yes, tiny little front of border or pots tulip. Little beauty though. Grew it last year but didn’t replace it this year.

Did you have the Minuet in the sun or shade? I’m wondering if mine didn’t last very long because they were in the sun.

4. We had the building work going on so I think they were in a pot in shade until they flowered when I moved them out. But it feels like it’s been much dryer and hotter this year. Lots of the tulips came much earlier than previous years.

Thank you. I must admit I hated the Rococo parrot tulips. I had them a couple of years ago and two came back this year, they needn’t have bothered, they just look diseased to me.

6. Yes, I couldn’t make up my mind with the Rococo tulips. Some were lovely but most were a mess. I didn’t bother with them this year. I do still like the black parrots but they don’t develop the warty diseased look.

This is like a compendium of tulips, Jude! Well, you know what I mean 🙂 🙂 Fabulous photos. What a spirit lifter they must be.

As you can tell Jo, they have been a huge source of my photography these past couple of months!

You ok this morning? 🤗💕

I’m fine Jo. I just get distracted in the garden so I am way behind in visiting blogs! Allowed to walk on a beach from tomorrow so guess where I’m going!

🤗🏖️💕

You’ve certainly had some stunning tulips, Jude! And sad to hear about your roof…

Well the recent leak is on a wall, not the roof, probably around some beams. I don’t think that part of the building has been well constructed!

7. Sandra says:

You may have single-handedly converted me to tulips, Jude! I’ve never had much success with them in any garden but you’ve given me ideas not only on varieties but possible planting sites. Hope I remember when autumn comes!

They seem to be OK in pots, though I have had a couple of unsuccessful years when the wind has damaged them (not much shelter here) or an unusually hot spring. This year April was perfect for them.

8. Lovely collection and display of tulips. You Europeans really know how to do tulips in a grand and beautiful way. You never see lovely displays like this here in the U.S. It is always a delight to see yours. I find it always inspiring, but every fall, the prices are so high, I never make the effort. You must have much better deals on bulbs than we get.
    My question is, how do you overwinter the pots? I know your winters are milder than ours, but do you keep all the pots under cover or protected?

Spring bulbs actually like cold weather. My bulb pots are outdoors throughout winter, with a top dressing of grit. It’s the wet that worries me the most, so I ensure the pots have quite gritty compost so it drains well. You can keep them in a cold greenhouse, or a cold frame, but I dont.

A fabulous selection, Jude The Dutch would be proud of you. 🙂

Have you seen the photos from that Dutch photographer of keukenhof without visitors this year. Now there’s a tulip display.

Stunning photos! Thanks for the link, Jude. x

10. What a lovely variety of tulips, Jude. They are all so beautiful. I especially like the green star and the long stemmed mixed ones. Sorry about your leaky roof. Hope you can get it fixed for good.

Too many leaks Sylvia! And only an issue when the wind is strong, which occurs far too often these days. I need a good roofer/builder to sort out the issues, but at the moment that’s not going to happen. And finding good tradesmen is difficult.

1. Oh dear, so lots of buckets dotted around. 😳