wild landscapes

on

The Bluebell Walk

Bluebells in Cornwall often grow in the open and not just in broadleaf woodlands or the outer edges. I see more bluebells in the lanes and on the hill than in the wood. I think of them as May flowers, but they seem to appear in April now, maybe because Aprils over the past few years have been warmer.

Following the horse trail around the base of Trencrom hill leads to a little dell where the bluebells grow in profusion. But before we get there let’s enjoy them where they grow at the sides of the path

There’s also white wood anemones in a few places, hard to photograph because they are growing amongst brambles and bracken.

The bluebells line the curves of the trail, you need to watch your feet so you don’t trample on them! Plenty of trip hazards too!

Before we reach the dell I spot a tiny paddock with a carpet of flowers so obviously I have to divert to see what that’s all about. We are talking native bluebells here by the way. The ones that only flower from one side of the stem and the flowers always droop downwards. Hyacinthoides non-scripta, otherwise named common bluebells, English bluebells, British bluebells, wood bells, fairy flowers and wild hyacinth. I’m rather partial to fairy flowers. They are also not really blue. If you examine them closely you will see that they are violet-blue with a more turquoise stripe on the base of the tubular bell flowers.

Native bluebells have:

• narrow leaves, about 1-1.5cm wide
  • deep violet-blue (sometimes white), narrow, tubular-bell flowers, with tips that curl back
  • flowers on one side of the stem
  • distinctly drooping stems
  • sweet scent
  • cream-coloured pollen inside

My photos aren’t so clear as it was a bit breezy on the hill! Never a good thing when trying to take close-ups of flowers.

Back on the hill I follow the winding path to the dell, pausing to take a photo of a tree I have not noticed in flower before. Apple maybe? I will need to have another look later in the year.

When I reach the dell I am not disappointed, This natural hollow is filled with blue. And the fresh lime green of the trees are a lovely bright contrast. The views aren’t bad from here either.

The circular route around the base takes you onto part of the St Michael’s Way which is  one of the Camino routes. I haven’t walked the entire route Lelant to St Michael’s Mount, because I think it is badly signed and badly maintained. For instance the next section from the hill was signposted (I say was because the sign has disappeared) over a stile into a field which is usually full of cattle and the not only is the entrance a quagmire but there is no indication where the ‘path’ exists across the field. You’d think a route as important as this would be properly maintained. Anyway I digress.

Along this eastern side of the hill there are not so many bluebells even though this is the edge of the woodland. There is however a rather lovely track that is a lot less uneven and lined with many native trees such as oak, beech and maple and holly, along with hawthorn and others I can’t identify. Wild honeysuckle is prevalent here too so in the summer it is a highly fragrant stroll.

Exiting onto the lane I make my way up to the gate where I usually take my photo overlooking Godrevy lighthouse and the beaches to the north. Not today though as it is overcast and cloudy. Time to hurry home before it rains. Though one last stop to take a photo of the cow parsley just making its annual appearance.

Whilst we are confined to #StayAtHome I will be posting photos from around my house and garden to hopefully cheer us all up.

Jo’s Monday Walk

I can’t recall seeing so many bluebells out in the open. I think of them only as a woodland plant. When I was young, we used to drive out to Epping Forest, and my Mum would pick bunches of them. 🙂

Maybe it is only in the west country?

2. What a lovely walk. I love bluebells. Sadly our state park, Riverbend, has been closed since lockdown so I think I missed them this year. They have a lot of bluebells there. I’m glad you were able to enjoy them!

I think we have had this discussion before that your bluebells are very different to ours, but equally delightful.

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Wow, what a beautiful fell and to have the bluebells slog the path is extra special. We are missing seeing our favorite bluebell woods this year but we will return to them soon

2. Oh yes, I remember discussing the different types of bluebells before. 🙂

3. bushboy says:

A feast of bluebells is a treat Jude 🙂

Sue and Jo made me do it, I kept thinking about going but the weather was very ‘off’ last week. Eventually I bit the bullet as rain was forecast and it can get a bit muddy on the horse trail as you can imagine!

1. bushboy says:

Well worth the effort Jude

Presumably they like damp conditions? Not a thing here and if there were they’d be long gone. We’ve hit summer. I gather you’ve got some very nice weather for the VE celebrations so you’ll be out in the garden all day. Thanks for tiptoeing through the bluebells with me, Jude. Have a lovely afternoon 😍🇬🇧🌼💕

“I gather you’ve got some very nice weather for the VE celebrations so you’ll be out in the garden all day.”

Er…. no.

You’re not in the wrong bit of England again??? Beautiful in the north east. Street party time, in their own gardens I think 😎🇬🇧🍰💕

Always the same on a bank holiday – the rest of the UK bake and we, well, let’s say it has been distinctly wet this morning and cloudy now. I was going to turf out some tulips to make room for some annual climbers, but I think I’ll wait until tomorrow. Had a good day in the garden yesterday though so not all bad.

Better not to overdo it and set your back off anyway. It started cloudy here and Mick has the litter picking bug so off we went. He picks, I litter 🤣. Well, loiter! Scorching now so in my eerie, determined to finish that book/learn some Portuguese/sort postcards. Any or all of those 😎🇬🇧🍰💕

I need to shop too… sigh.

5. Pit says:

Very beautiful colourful flowers, but I also love the lush green of the countryside.

Yes, the greenery is lovely and so nice and fresh right now.

1. Pit says:

It’s fairly green here still, but with the real Texas summer coming that will – unfortunately – change.

6. lolaWi says:

gorgeous landscape peppered with bluebells! beautiful! thank you for sharing! 🙂

A pleasure Wilma.

Ah, an ode to the bluebell!

Indeed. As requested by your good self 😁

😊😊😊

8. Su Leslie says:

Oh I do miss the bluebells. We used to live near Ashridge Forest in Herts, and cycle there when the bluebells were out. Thank you for the lovely pics and memories. And your twirl is fab!!

This hill is so giving for flora. Violets, anemones, bluebells, foxgloves, heather and gorse throughout the year.

1. Su Leslie says:

Lovely!
        I do like NZ natives, but there isn’t quite a much colour as in the UK countryside.

But you do have lovely plants like the tea tree and pohutukawa trees.

2. Su Leslie says:

And kowhai; can’t complain really

9. Thank you for this wonderful bluebell walk. There’s nothing much can beat the sight and smell of swathes of bluebells. 😊

To be honest I couldn’t smell anything, even when I got close up. Maybe they need some warmth to release the scent.

10. Elizabeth says:

Wonderful. We have the cultivated variety but don’t know the natural ones. Is cow parsley the same that we call Queen Anne’s Lace?

I think Queen Anne’s Lace is the wild carrot plant / Daucus carota – very similar.