wild landscapes

One of the first native hedgerows to flower is the Blackthorn. There is a lot of it around the Cornish lanes and along with the new Gorse shrubs flowering it looks lovely. This year the blossom seems to have been fleeting. Perhaps that has something to do with the rather warm and dry March weather this year. Or the long wet winter.

If you are wondering how to tell the difference between Blackthorn and Hawthorn (the flowers are very similar) Blackthorn flowers before the leaves and is the first to flower, Hawthorn flowers later (usually May which is why it is also known as May blossom) and already has leaves.

And as a change to the natural photos here is one that has undergone a creative twist. I know, some of you are shouting “enough of the twists!”  but they really are quite fun to do, you just don’t know what an image might turn into. It’s a bit like creating your own fireworks!

Whilst we are confined to #StayAtHome I will be posting photos from around my house and garden to hopefully cheer us all up.

1. Pit says:

Really lovely blossoms! 🙂

2. Elizabeth says:

Until I started following the Cornwall blogs I found, I hadn’t realized how many plants I had read about in English novels yet had no idea of what they looked like. Blackthorn is one such. Thanks for showing me what it looks like.

3. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Lovely images. Here too the blackthorn seemed to finish very quickly. The hawthorn is just coming now.

4. I like the twists! Thanks for the info about blackthorn / hawthorn. I just wish it would stick! I have real trouble remembering things with a binary choice. I can only do left and right because I know which wrist my watch is on.

5. susurrus says:

The blossom has given me so much pleasure this year. The close ups are great and I love the mood of your top picture.

I’d have liked my hair to have been coloured like your twist, if I’d ever been brave enough.

6. Is that blue blossom really that colour????

If you are referring to the first photo then it’s not blue, it’s white like the rest, but the tree is in deep shade.

1. Ah. It’s such an unusual colour I had to ask

Yes, it does look strange!