wild landscapes

One of the first native hedgerows to flower is the Blackthorn. There is a lot of it around the Cornish lanes and along with the new Gorse shrubs flowering it looks lovely. This year the blossom seems to have been fleeting. Perhaps that has something to do with the rather warm and dry March weather this year. Or the long wet winter.

If you are wondering how to tell the difference between Blackthorn and Hawthorn (the flowers are very similar) Blackthorn flowers before the leaves and is the first to flower, Hawthorn flowers later (usually May which is why it is also known as May blossom) and already has leaves.

And as a change to the natural photos here is one that has undergone a creative twist. I know, some of you are shouting “enough of the twists!”  but they really are quite fun to do, you just don’t know what an image might turn into. It’s a bit like creating your own fireworks!

Whilst we are confined to #StayAtHome I will be posting photos from around my house and garden to hopefully cheer us all up.

1. margaret21 says:

How interesting that your blackthorn has been fleeting. Ours really hasn’t. It’s been a complete joy this year, despite the unusually warm conditions. I’ll leave Jo to comment about the twist …

2. pommepal says:

Such delicate and dainty blossom. The last image against the dark background is stunning and the light is so good.

3. The flowers are very pretty. They remind me a bit of geraldton wax flowers.

They are quite similar, that thought occurred to me.

Love your close up images, and the swirls!

This swirl worked particularly well I thought.

Indeed it did!

5. Sandra says:

I agree the blackthorn has been fleeting this year, Jude. The primroses and other wild flowers are stunning though! One of the best shows in recent years I think.

6. Su Leslie says:

I love the twist; the way it softens colours is wonderful.

You can play with colour curves and hues too which can make a dramatic difference.

1. Su Leslie says:

Will have to experiment!! My photoshop skills are pretty rudimentary and could do with improvement.

After torrential rain yesterday, I woke up to discover all the foliage had appeared on the Beech Hedges at the front. From nothing to everything, in the matter of one day. Never fails to amaze me. 🙂
    Best wishes, Pete.

Yes, it’s astonishing how fast things green up.

8. What pretty flowers, and I love your creative twists! 🙂

9. lolaWi says:

dainty flowers they are! 🙂

10. What a beautiful colour the blackthorn blossoms are. English country lanes have such delightful hedgerows.

It didn’t last long this year, but the hawthorn / may blossom is on the way 😊