The George V Walk in Lockdown

During April most of my walks have been confined to the lanes around my home or up on ‘my’ hill (the one you can see in the background of the header photo and yes, that is how high up our house is). I have been doing my shopping at a small Tesco supermarket not too far away near St Ives, but last week I decided to head for the larger ASDA supermarket in Hayle as they have several items that I can’t get in the Tesco store. I was a bit dubious about how shopping in a larger shop would work and I did find it a little uncomfortable as couples are allowed in (they aren’t in Tesco) and some liked to walk side by side and not keep to the 2m distancing recommended. Anyway, shopping aside, I decided that whilst I was in Hayle I would use the opportunity to take my hour of exercise by visiting the lovely garden walk along the Copperhouse Pool. Last year I recorded the plants flowering in this garden every month as part of the Changing Season’s Challenge a good job I’m not doing that this year!

It was a warm day, but very misty, though the sun kept trying to break through. Often a dull, overcast sky is better for flower photos.

I was slightly concerned that there would be too many people exercising along the walk, but it was fairly quiet and those people who were about kept their distance in the main, though young couples and those with young children and babies in pushchairs didn’t seem to realise that they shouldn’t really take up the entire width of the path or stop and expect people to pass them by when there was no real space. It concerns me that they either think they are invincible, because of course this virus only affects oldies badly, or they really haven’t understood the rules. I’m not in general a person who is fond of rules, but at the moment I am willing to follow them as I personally have no idea how truly horrible this disease can be and I’d rather like to keep it that way.

You could smell the scent of the lilac tree well before seeing it. It’s a large tree and most beautiful at this time of year.

Strange times for us all, but as you can see Mother Nature is still doing her thing.

Jo’s Monday Walk

1. Pit says:

Great pictures: thanks for sharing. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Here, we could always walk in the neighbourhood, as streets are so wide [ https://wp.me/p4uPk8-2dU ] that you really have to make an effort to get too close to each other. And the walkers here are all very considerate. I can’t talk about the situation in our supermarkets as we use their delivery service: ordering and paying online, and having the stuff delivered to our doorstep.As we sometimes do with food. That helps our local restaurants to survive.
    We’ll have to see how things will develop now that our gouvernor is loosening the lockdown – which was always quite unclear. And his new formula is more than just complicated.

Impossible to get online delivery here and if you can go to a store they prefer you to so slots can be for those who are self isolating. And not many takeaway restaurants open either. Good luck with the new regulations.

1. Pit says:

Thanks, Jude!
        These deliveries or – with some stores – curbside pick-ups have worked and are working really fine here. As they do/did for the restaurants. They, of course. did lose a lot of money as tourists stayed away. That will be changing now with the new regulations, but we’re bound to get more cases of infections, that’s sure. Some of the restaurants stay with the present take-out. And some have closed indefinitely. It’s also the bed&breakfast businesses [we have more that 600 B&Bs here] is heavily affected.
        Well, we’ll have to wait and see. And that, I’m afraid, for a very long time. To my mind, for years to come.
        Take care, and have a great weekend,
        Pit

Who knows how this virus will manifest itself, it may of course simply disappear.

2. Pit says:

I agree to “who knows”, but I’m deeply skeptical.

2. Pit says:

Thanks for wishing me good luck. I just read that our famous and wonderful gouvernor announced the new opening regulations exactly on the day we had the most new infections!
        Online delivery is really easy here.

2. lolaWi says:

what a lovely, walk and thank you for taking us along. gorgeous lilac blooms i could almost smell them! beautiful photos ๐Ÿ™‚

The lilac was gorgeous. A shame I don’t have any.

3. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Very pretty walk

It is lovely, so many different plants.

4. I love this walk. You photograph paths so well – I needed you this morning to capture the track through bushfire regrowth, so very different from your glorious spring. I love the reflection in the fishpond and your sense of liberation in walking a different place. Are you only allowed an hour??

Iโ€™m with you on not wanting to experience corona virus. They eased restriction on Friday, meaning you can visit in twos, but I donโ€™t trust it. Iโ€™m sticking with complete isolation except for family. Maybe too I relish being a hermit. Stay well away from people, and stay well!

As to the question about the one hour of exercise, no that’s not a strict rule but a ‘recommendation’, our govt like to put the guilt on us if we stray from ‘advice’ and some of our police can be heavy-handed. One reason why I used my phone and didn’t take the camera. I haven’t been with anyone else other than the OH and he hasn’t been anywhere except walking locally. I’m pretty much a hermit anyway, but 6 weeks in one place does become boring.

5. Beautiful spring flowers, a lovely walk apart from the non-distancing idiots. I plan to brave the botanic gardens this afternoon, I’m surprised they’re open but I’ll see how that works out. I haven’t been outside my immediate neighbourhood in weeks!

I really hope they open some gardens soon. The people who normally visit these places tend to be quite sensible. I am open-eyed at the number of people streaming to your beaches though! They certainly do not look as if they are practising self distancing.

1. Our beaches do seem to attract a lot of idiots! Mind you, there were a large number in the botanic gardens too, making no attempt to distance. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ But away from the water, I was fine.

6. Cathy says:

What a glorious walk that must be to experience in person – your photos make it look so enticing

It’s a short walk (1 mile long) but there is a lot of lovely Australian/New Zealand and South African planting going on which I really like. Obviously much more sheltered than my garden.

1. Cathy says:

It must be a great asset to the community – I wonder how much maintenance it needs?

7. Good to see this walk again! Iโ€™m with you on the supermarkets. I use Tesco and spend my time barking โ€œwrong way!โ€ at those not following the one way system. I also get irritated at the ones who block a whole aisle while they look at everything on the shelf before selecting one item. I go in knowing what I want, swoop on it and leave.

My little Tesco is so good, there are hardly any other people in there so shopping is not at all stressful.

8. So good that you were able to do this walk Jude – it looks stunning with the spring flowers. I’ve always loved lilac both the colours and the heady scent and this tree looks magnificent ๐Ÿ™‚ We have just eased some restrictions here in WA so from last Monday groups of up to 10 people have been allowed to catch up either at home or outdoors (you don’t have to be related). We did notice how busy it was down by the sea this morning. I feel I’ve become rule obsessive noticing how many people were clustered quite close together but there isn’t much space along the coastal pathway and there were lots of dogs (not that they need to socially distance!) and families with small kids and prams. We’re doing well here but important not to become complacent.Best wishes with everything! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. BeckyB says:

absolutely stunning Jude, so glad you were able to get out a little bit further . . . . . it is so bizarre with the younger people. If they actually looked at the stats of the age range of ICU admissions then they may not be so complacent.