Six on Saturday | April Flowers

Friday was misty and remained so all day despite the sun trying to burn it off. But the duller day helped me take some photos of flowers that had proved difficult to capture in the brightness.

As April wends it way to the end, it has to be said that this must be the most unusual April I, and everyone else,  have ever experienced. This week here in the south-west there was a couple of dull days with overnight rain, badly needed I must say, with the result that the flowers are looking very cheerful. Every day I go into the garden and do some weeding. Chickweed, bittercress,bindweed and cleavers are all making a come-back. And my mini mini-meadow has more common daisies than ever! Some of the Camassias appear to have flower spikes so I am getting increasingly hopeful. I just hope nothing nasty comes along and eats them. And yes, you, Mr Snail, hiding in the tulip flowers. I am talking to you!

(1) The last of my Narcissi to flower is commonly known as the poet’s narcissi or pheasant’s eyeNarcissus poeticus var. recurvus is a late-flowering daffodil with white, swept-back petals that curve at the edges and surround a yellow, flattened cup fringed with red. Best grown in full sun or partial shade in moist, well-drained soil they are easy to grow,  perfect for naturalising and growing in long grass, where the intense fragrance that emanates from the flowers will waft on the breeze. Well there is always plenty of breeze wafting here, but I haven’t noticed the scent yet. I planted these in the new woodland border under the trees which gets plenty of sun at the moment.

(2) Another of the rockery Narcissi has finally flowered, much later than all the rest who have now gone into the Wild Garden area to die down, before I lift them ready to replant in the autumn. This is Sundisc, white with a yellow cup, though mine look to be pale yellow and for some reason very difficult to photograph! I keep taking photos, but they always look over exposed. Still it is a pretty little thing for all its reluctance to appear in this blog. I can see why they have their name.

(3) Back to new border under the trees. This is where the Bay tree grows, well shrub really and I have had to cut it back quite hard as it was obstructing the pathway. I am trying to encourage it to be a hedge! Many of you might not realise that it does have flowers, though they are so tiny they are easily missed.

(4) And under the contorted or twisted hazel tree is an Epimedium. I didn’t manage to get a decent photo of the tiny orange flowers a few weeks ago, but here is a photo of the lovely new leaves with their pretty patterning.

(5) Moving away from this bed to the raised Herb bed which is sadly lacking herbs at the moment, though an online order has gone in so I am hopeful for a delivery next month. Meanwhile two pretty Aquilegia were planted here last autumn, A. caerulea Spring Magic Rose and A. caerulea Spring Magic White, they are supposed to be different colours, one white and one pink, but they look the same to me.

(6) The final flower this week is one that lives in the Belfast sink planter. This is a Pasque Flower / Pulsatilla vulgaris ‘Rubra Red’ with a lovely bright yellow, stamen-filled centre. It didn’t flower quite in time for Easter, but it is a beauty all the same. I also have a purple one but no flowers on that one yet, though lots of pretty feathery, grey-green leaves with the silky hairs.

Another three weeks in our temporary retreat from society before we know how or when things will change, no exit strategy seems to be forthcoming any time soon. I sincerely hope that everyone is keeping safe and well. It’s a heart-sickening situation and we are the lucky ones to have our gardens to tend and share. On Wednesday there was the loveliest pink sunrise (06:00) which extended 360 degrees around my house. With sights like these (header photo) I am almost happy to #StayAtHome.

Take care out there!

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

All looking very pretty. Those Epimedium leaves are really lovely.

These ones are. I have another under the willow tree which doesn’t seem to colour up quite as nicely, but it is spreading slowly so that’s good, and I see the flowers on that one more easily for some strange reason!

2. The Pasque flower is beautiful. I also really like the white Aquilegia (I think I can see a slight tinge of pink on the other one – it’s a bit like my white and pink daphnes!) I hope my Pheasant’s Eye naturalise.

There is a slight pink tinge, but this is the white one! The pink one should be much deeper.

3. janesmudgeegarden says:

I love the Pasque flower. I tried one here, which of course wouldn’t have flowered at Easter, but it succumbed to hot weather, sadly.
    Your bay tree looks so healthy. We liberated two from pots into the garden but they both died, and we’ve planted two more, so hopefully they’ll be ok, although they seem to be very slow growing. They don’t really like the heavy frost we have here and we have to cover them which is a nuisance.

Frost is not a problem here, but last winter was very wet and stormy. I guess all of our gardening efforts are weather related, but we keep on trying.

4. Su Leslie says:

Very beautiful sunrise Jude. Thanks for the stroll round your garden. we’ve spent the weekend chopping down old trees and pruning others and the place looks such a mess I hardly want to go out. Long-term, it will really improve things but for now … ☹️

No gain without pain 💔

5. Beautiful, as always! The sundisc narcissi are very pretty. Our state government has announced a very slight relaxation in restrictions starting next weekend. We can go out for recreation, but only in our household group and only within 50 km of home. At this stage we only have 96 people in the state who currently have the virus. Staying at home has worked very well. I hope things begin to improve for you soon too.

We have to stay close to home and in family groups. Driving to a beach to exercise is frowned upon, even if the beaches have more space than the streets! I wish now that I was within walking distance of a beach. Well I am I suppose, but it probably wouldn’t be consider local enough if I were to be stopped. 50 km would be good! Your stats are far better than ours, but then we didn’t quarantine people arriving back in the country and then there was the thing about ‘herd immunity’. And of course it was only the elderly who risked dying. Sometimes you have to wonder about those in charge…

1. Yes, our government took charge very quickly. Of course they didn’t get everything right immediately but they’ve done an amazing job. I wouldn’t like to be doing what they have to right now. Our stats are looking great. Let’s hope they stay that way.

6. Will look out for those flowers on our bay. What a lovely narcissus – there were lots of Narcissus poeticus at the garden at Charleston farmhouse when the artist Vanessa Bell arrived there in 1916. I would love to grow this variety.

It would be nice if the poets spread.

7. Chloris says:

It doesn’t feel like a temporary retreat though. It is going to be a long time before we can all mingle again. Lovely spring flowers. I have Sun Disc such a little cutey. I have never noticed so many flowers on my bay before.

Sun disc is lovely, and so floriferous! But so much later than all the other miniatures I planted in pots. I was beginning to think it would never flower. And I know what you mean about temporary. It is beginning to feel as though we will never go anywhere again. I drove to a different supermarket on Friday just so I could see some other scenery and have a walk in a different place!

8. parikhit dutta says:

What magnificent pictures! I love the Epimedium leaves! The patterns!

9. BeckyB says:

Bees are loving the flowers on our bay at the moment, and also the privet.

I knew that privet flowered, but not the bay. I love the smell of the bay when I prune it, but I never use the leaves in cooking!

1. BeckyB says:

Ours is flowering at moment. Apparently pruning can stop it flowering so must flower on new shoots?

And yes gorgeous smell when pruned, I use fresh leaves in preference to dried. Retain smell then 🙂

10. Catherine says:

I love the swept-back look of the pheasant’s eye Narcissus – it has attitude, and the new border is very attractive.

I saw your little Sundisc Narcissus and realised that is what I have, currently in bloom. I’ve been looking at them for a few days now, but couldn’t remember what they were. Now I know. Thanks! 😀

I wasn’t aware that the was a red variety of Pulsatilla – it is gorgeous, and I’ve made a note of that.

A great selection of plants for this week, and lovely photographs!

Thank you Catherine. The red pasque flower is rather lovely, even though it has its back to me 😂