The Lanes in April

Since the ‘step back from society’ took place in mid March I have been confined to exploring the area around my home. Places that I have explored in detail many, many times before and in 2018 I recorded the changes of nature throughout the entire year. So I feel as though I know these lanes well. However, there is always something new to record. A different time of day, different light, changing weather.

And even a different route.

View north towards Godolphin and Tregonning Hills

Ironically since the plea to #StayAtHome the weather has been glorious. Usually I would be nipping out to the National Trust gardens in Cornwall to swoon over the wonderful Magnolias, Camellias, Azaleas and Rhododendrons that fill these gardens in spring. Instead I am limited to what I have in my garden and what I can find growing in the Cornish hedges.

Track to Trink Dairy where you can buy fresh milk from a vending machine

Instead of heading left at Brunnion (our nearest hamlet) towards Trencrom Hill I turned right towards Cripplesease. Similar lane, but different views. Here you have a view of hazy Mount’s Bay with St Michael’s Mount. It looks quite close doesn’t it?

St Michael’s Mount

Even ‘my’ hill at Trencrom looks different from this angle.

Trencrom Hill from the west
Countryside views

On reaching the ‘main’ road (B3311) at the hamlet of Cripplesease you can catch a glimpse of another engine house ruin. This is Giew Mine (Giew Consols).

There is a public house here too, though sadly closed at the  moment so no chance of a glass of wine before returning home. Another good view of the sea though.

The B3311 and the Engine Inn on the right

In the distance you can see Rogers Folly or Tower at Castle-an-Dinas, an Iron Age Hill Fort near Ludgvan. This could be my next walking destination. Though it is a few miles away and I’d be walking on a narrow road for part of it. Now might be the best time though as traffic is light.

Roger’s Folly

I was looking for a public footpath that might lead me to the Twelve O’ Clock Rock  and the Trig Point on Trink Hill, but although I did find a stile onto a field there wasn’t a clear path and the rock looked as far away as it does from my home. Walking back is downhill most of the way, but of course living on a hill means you always have an up at some point. On the way back I was looking for lines for my photo challenge on Travel Words and I rather liked this implied line of dairy cows who were not keeping the recommended social distancing. Perhaps they haven’t herd? [sic]

More lines caught my eyes

And closer to home, a young calf scrambled to his knees, reminding me that even in these dark days, life does go on.

My final photos are of a more familiar sight / site on my blog. These are especially for Pit who sees faces in rocks and clouds. I wonder what he and you see here?

Jo’s Monday Walk

1. Leya says:

Lovely area you live in – and we are lucky to be able to walk in the outdoors. Love the stone faces – turtle and all. And the little calf – life goes on.

It does. And I am lucky to have all this beauty on my doorstep.

2. Brillant pictures, missing Cornwall so much..

My regards

Achim

Changing direction can reap rewards indeed. Shame the pub was closed though. 🙂

I wonder if it will even open again, only recently got new owners after being closed for a while.

Our nearest pub closed down over a year ago. Seems they need to offer much more than a pint and a ploughman’s these days. The customer base has changed dramatically.

I wonder if this situation will make people consider how they use their cars in the future? And yes, seems dining pubs are all the rage now. I’m just looking forward to getting some fish and chips!

My own belief is that as soon as people are allowed to act ‘normally’ again. It will be like nothing ever happened. They will go back to all their old ways, including bad habits and selfishness. But you know me, cynical. 🙂

Sigh… I’m afraid that you are not the only cynic.

2. Murtagh's Meadow says:

You live in a beautiful part of the world.

4. Loved the country side walk with all the wonderful captures! The calf is a stealer…

5. How wonderful that you’ve had perfect weather since the #stayathome orders. We’ve had some glorious days too, but always chilly. I’ve been sick with allergies (?) for nearly two months now so I’m craving warmth. I love this walk, especially the line of cows, despite their not keeping social distancing guidelines! I also love the winding lanes and the views of the sea with St. Michael’s Mount. Thanks for taking us along on a beautiful walk, Jude. 🙂

6. Cathy says:

A wonderful walk with you … turtles and some sort of heraldic lizard (plus ‘men in suits’) in those wonderful stones? I am just at home, planting weeding and watering. I miss the wide world. Need to take a walk in our woods, but I keep worrying about my garden. Your part of Cornwall is simply superb. Is it as dry there as here?

Cornwall is usually very wet as you know, but it has been dry for about a month now with just a few showers over this last weekend, which at least meant I didn’t have to water the pots! I can imagine that your garden keeps you very busy and fit with all those steps!

1. Cathy says:

Yes – add the steps to the watering, and you have a bit of challenge!

7. What stunning countryside!

8. What a gorgeous walk. We’ve had good weather since the lockdown too, dry although not always very warm. It does mean we can get out for our daily exercise, though we’re obviously confined to an urban landscape.

I wonder if that’s the herd with the immunity?

Haha… Maybe 😂

9. lolaWi says:

so blessed that you have this beauty right on your doorstep, Jude. thank you for taking us along! 🙂

10. parikhit dutta says:

This is so beautiful. And do I see faces in the rocks and what looks like a giant lizard.