Six on Saturday | Easter Weekend

(Can I ask readers to check their spam folders for any comments from me as I seem to be disappearing today! Obviously I have offended WP in some way. Thank you for setting me free! )

One like no other experienced in most of our lifetime. Easter is usually a time when we DO stay at home. Because in a normal year thousands of holiday makers rush down to the south-west and trying to find a spot in a car park is nigh on impossible. Of course this year the beaches and car parks will / should be empty, but unfortunately I’m not in walking distance to benefit from that. Fortunately I have a garden to relax in. And relax I shall. After taking some photos for this week’s Six on Saturday of course.

It would be easy to show you six tulips. Yes, in spite of my talking to last week they have ignored my pleas and all bar one have made an appearance in this week’s sunshine. But since I am posting photos of tulips throughout the week I will try and find something different.

(1)  Narcissus ‘Sir Winston Churchill’ – if you want a highly scented narcissus then this is the one for you. Multi-headed and with double flowers this is truly sensational. I can smell this flower before I get anywhere near it. Planted in the raised bed with Pueblo and Thalia (both going strong still). It has beautiful creamy-white flowers with orange segments interspersed.

(2) In the same raised bed is another tulip, carrying on the white theme this is ‘Flaming Spring Green a viridiflora tulip with as you’d expect streaks of red and green on ivory. Or as SR describes it “raspberry ripple stippling on a green and cream base.”

(3) Geranium macro ‘Ingerwersen’s’ variety  has been in the garden for a few years but never flowered. I have moved it several times and now it lives in the shady woodland border. And it is flowering at last. I’m not convinced it was worth the wait.

(4) Completely new this year is my mini wildflower meadow. In reality it is the tiny triangular bit of lawn behind the Fatsia Japonica that I cut down drastically last autumn. I planted snakeshead fritillary and some camassias here and the daisies and dandelions came along for free. As it was a wasted bit of lawn I am hoping these plants self-seed and spread to provide that little bit more interest in spring.  My son helped me to plant these by drilling holes in the lawn!

(BTW If you look under Garden Diary on the menu you will find a garden plan)

(5) Turning to the courtyard – you remember, the north facing one that never gets any direct sunlight – I was pleased to see new leaves on my ASDA Japanese Acer. This really isn’t the best place for it as the winds whirl around here and the leaves get wind-burned. But I’m at a loss as to where I could plant it. At the moment it is in a large container.

(6) And now we’ll finish in the conservatory, which is a tad warm at the moment. Trouble is we saw a brown rat in the garden the other day so I  am reluctant to open the door as I do not want it indoors. Living next to a working farm with sheep and cattle rats are inevitable, but I really wish they’d stay over the fence! Here are two Primula Auriculas plants. I bought six of these at a bargain price last year, but I have no idea why as I am sure I don’t have the right conditions to grow them properly. Still some of them are producing flowers and they are rather sweet, if rather small. These flower heads are about the size of my thumb nail!

This is what SR has to say “Auriculas prefer the cool of outside, but not the wet. The show varieties, in particular, which have the floury covering to their flowers and leaves, immediately mark with a drop of water; and they hate baking sun. That’s why they are traditionally grown in the shelter of a theatre, half outside, half in.”

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well. These are certainly troubling times, but our love of nature should keep us sane even if we are struggling to get hold of new plants and compost.

Take care out there!

1. You came through fine to me, I’m pleased to say!I have days like that too when my comments seem to disappear into the ether and I think WordPress hates me. Anything in spam is irretrievably lost though, there are hundreds of messages every time I look and they’re all really long medical things. I’ve given up checking and just instantly click Empty Spam. Reminds me, I must go and do that …

I check my spam every day, there is never that much in it, but occasionally real folk get stuck!

1. I emptied it this morning when I posted. Just looked again – 295 messages!

Wow! That’s a crazy amount. My sites are obviously not that popular!

2. It’s always one post, then it moves on to another one, great screeds of medical jargon. Some bot obviously loves me. Anyway, I gave up looking for real people a long time ago.

2. Su Leslie says:

Nothing in my spam folder from you I’m pleased to say.
    It is lovely to see your spring flowers. There isn’t much around here at the moment; my hibiscus which seems to dance to a flowering tune no-one can predict and the pineapple sage. I noticed some camellia buds in the “street-of-expensively-manicured-gardens” so I am hopeful. 😀

Commenting has been difficult today, so many just simply disappear! And yet on other sites it is ok. Very odd. We still have camellias flowering, even me!

1. Su Leslie says:

☹️ Hope WP rights itself soon

3. Such “an embarrassment of riches”! So glad you share them here.

4. I think your little purple geranium is quite pretty. I check my spam every day, and there’s rarely anything in it. When there is I empty it immediately, except for today when you were wallowing in there. I rescued you straight away and put you back in the right place. 🙂

Thank you for rescuing me. Let’s hope that today’s a better one.

1. I’ll keep checking. 😉😀

5. fredgardener says:

I have a narcissus that looks a lot like yours, it’s the narcissus tazetta ( multi-headed) ‘Bridal Crown’.
    `These photos of Auriculas are beautiful. A thing I don’t have yet.
    A good idea to have sketched a plan of your garden, it’s something that I could do if the lockdown continues (if I have nothing else to do of course: in case of rain for exemple)

So many narcissi and tulips with different names look the same. Hard to keep up with them! I wouldn’t bother with the Auriculas unless you like mollycoddling plants, I’m more of a plant and leave person. These are a bit fussy. Talking of plans, I was also creating a list of plants in the different areas that I must finish!

6. I love your wildflower meadow and I reckon the geranium was worth waiting for! You are an artist of the garden.

That geranium is very small, but it does seem to be spreading and has a lot of flowers so I’ll leave it be. My colour palette this spring is rather vibrant! I may tame it down again next year, but it suits the strange time we are going through. The wild flower mini, mini meadow, is teeny. I might even try some wild flower seeds on it if I can get hold of any.

7. janesmudgeegarden says:

I have Winston Churchill as well and I hope we have the right conditions this spring so he looks as healthy as yours do.
    We also have decided to turn a small amount of lawn over to a meadow, mainly because zinnias (I know they’re not true meadow flowers) and alyssum arrived in that position and we thought we’d add to them. As our lawn is the dreaded kikuyu, it remains to be seen whether we can keep it out.

Yellow rattle kills off grass, if you can get it there.

8. BeckyB says:

what a glorious morning I’ve spent in your garden. Thank you. Hope you get on top of the spam, and also come up with a cunning solution for the acer. With the exception of one we have kept all ours in pots – lots of watering in summer but they are happy

And where do you keep them? Sun or shade?

1. BeckyB says:

Full sun until late morning and then dappled shade until 1ish, which isn’t great in mid summer. However I place them all in trays in the summer so I can keep water topped up, and they are in full shade for most of afternoon so it seems to work.

East facing then? I shall see how mine fares this summer in the courtyard and give it a feed and water regularly.

2. BeckyB says:

Almost, ENE. Good luck in courtyard x

9. I enjoyed enjoying your garden and its new/continuing growth. Your photos remind me that I haven’t seen any tulips yet – there should be a few. Maybe those darned squirrels have had them. 😦

Most of mine are flowering now. I was hoping there would be some later ones. I must try a different variety next year to try and space the flowering out for longer. I hope yours make a come back!

10. Ann Mackay says:

I have one of those Asda acers too, also in a pot waiting to find its forever home… The auriculas are a gorgeous colour!

Those two auriculas are, another one is a bit wishy-washy.