Six on Saturday | Bye Bye March

A walk around my garden this week in sunshine! Yay! It’s been a weird week. Being told to #StayAtHome makes me feel a bit jittery, even though that is my norm so much so that some people could call me a recluse. But it is a different kettle of fish choosing to stay at home and being enforced to. But as one of those people in the age group who may not get a ventilator if required then I am more than happy to keep away from people at this time. I am happy pottering in the garden and listening to the birdsong and I am lucky in that I can walk locally without needing to use my car – though I do need to drive to a supermarket as I cannot get online deliveries. Worse than that is I cannot get my usual WINE deliveries!  Fortunately a local wine merchant is still happy to do deliveries and in fact really welcomes the business! If his wines are good I may become a regular!

Plenty happening now, but I’ll start with one more of the rockery daffodils which didn’t feature last week. Still one other variety to come, but so far only buds, no flowers so that will wait until another week.

(1)  Narcissus ‘Canaliculatus’ is a tazetta daffodil (15cm)  with clusters of three to five beautiful white  flowers with a small golden-yellow cup. Highly scented and easy to naturalise, mine are in a small pot, but I will look for a space to plant them after they finish flowering. Not all of the 25 bulbs are flowering so I hope they will next year as they are very pretty with slightly reflexing petals.

(2) When the garden was enveloped in fog the other day I took the camera out looking for nice raindrop photos, from which my tulip post was created, and saw these lovely lupin leaves with their diamond necklaces.

(3) More Muscari – I showed blue ones a couple of weeks ago, but since then the white ones have begun to grow and some pretty Muscari latifolium, each blue-black spike is topped by a tuft of striking bright blue flowers giving it a two-tone effect. I love these and I am happy that they have appeared.

(4) In the autumn I planted 25 Fritillaria meleagris (common names include snake’s head fritillary, snake’s head, chess flower, frog-cup, guinea-hen flower)  in a tiny patch of lawn which I will leave wild. I also planted Camassias there and leaves have appeared. Only one fritillary is fully open with its pretty nutant head, but others are on their way.

(5) The Chaffinch is a  small passerine bird in the finch family. I get a lot of these lovely little birds into my garden. The males are particularly handsome with a blue-grey cap, pink cheeks and breast and a reddish-brown mantle. The females and juvenilles are much duller, but all have distinctive wing bars. This one was happily singing to me from the top of the contorted hazel tree whilst I was working in the garden.

(6) Polyanthus  – this was a pot topper back in 2016 and after the bulbs were removed in summer 2017 I planted them along my woodland border. I’m not hugely keen on the gaudiness of these flowers and they do get horribly nibbled by S&S and every year I think I will dig them out and compost them, but so far they have had a stay of execution. For some reason I love this one. So far this spring it has not been badly eaten. I am sure that won’t last though yesterday I did water in my first packet of slug nematodes. I should get another one in 6 weeks time and I hope they will make a difference. I used one pack last year and the slugs around were much smaller. Of course it does not work on snails and I also have plenty of them too!

While we are having to stay at home and practice social distancing in these distressing times those of us with gardens are so much more lucky that those without. Sharing them through the Prop’s meme will allow everyone to enjoy the spring flowers and help to keep stress at bay.

Take care out there!

1. cavershamjj says:

My primroses have been ravaged by slugs (and/or snails). They look rather scruffy.

Mine are usually much more chomped than this one, as I said, every year I think about removing them.

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

I love the lupin leaves with their diamond necklaces. You have to wonder how those drops defy gravity and cling on to the plants. I love your Muscari…so unusual. I’ve never seen anything like them here. In fact a quick internet search reveals not a single Australian site, so I’d say they’re not available here. Pity.
    That’s a beautiful blue sky in the Chaffinch photo. I’m glad you’re getting some sun.

Thanks Jane. It has been, on the whole, a good week. Seeing the sun and until today, very light winds, has been so nice after all the storms we have had. Such a shame that we are confined to our local area. The Muscari was a free pack with a bulb order so I was very happy to see these beauties emerge along with the blue and white ones.

1. janesmudgeegarden says:

Isn’t it the middle of the night over there just now?

Just after midnight and I must remember to put my clocks forward an hour! So I guess I should get to bed!

3. Susan K. Hagen says:

Rain drops and dew on leaves and petals are compelling, aren’t they? Very nice photo of the lupin leaves. And, yes, in these odd days is it fortunate to have gardens to work in.

I love trying to capture the droplets, but often it is too windy here for any good images. I was very lucky with the lupin.

4. Joanne Sisco says:

Your photos are stunning, Jude, especially the daffodils at the beginning. I feel like I could reach in and touch them!

Pop over to the travel blog today Jo, and you’ll find something even more touchable 😊

5. Yes, we count ourselves fortunate to have a spacious home and a nice garden in which to spend our time. I hope the wine is good!

I hope so too! Some Aussie and NZ bottles and a few from Chile and Argentina 😊

6. Robyn Haynes says:

All inspired photos but the lupin leaves and their diamond necklaces lifted my spirits.

I was looking for raindrops on tulips, when the lupins caught my eye. So lovely how the drops cling to the tiny hairs along each leaf.

1. Robyn Haynes says:

Very observant. A photographer’s eye.

7. BeckyB says:

What a handsome chaffinch, and the Canaliculatus is gorgeous

I have better chaffinch photos but this was taken as I was doing the weeding. A top square too!

Not sure what happened here – I have just fished several of your comments out of spam on both this and the travel blog! Hope you didn’t think I was ignoring you! Found another excellent candidate for the squares today 🙂

2. BeckyB says:

How bizarre….. I’d just concluded my comments were too boring 🙃

3. BeckyB says:

PS yay about square finds 😍

8. n20gardener says:

Beautiful photos and lovely to see the chaffinch against the blue sky. Muscari definitely on the list for next year now. Stay safe and enjoy the wine. I ventured out to the garden this morning but the cold wind sent me back in pretty quick!

Yes, that wind is pretty nippy. I was out in it yesterday but very well wrapped up!

9. It seems nobody commented on your use of nutant. I wonder if anyone thought it a typo for mutant.

More than likely 😂

10. Another lovely narcissus this week – and those muscari look like tiny carnival dancers swinging their skirts.

Haha… yes the Muscari do appear to be wearing skirts 🙂