Six on Saturday | Bye Bye March

A walk around my garden this week in sunshine! Yay! It’s been a weird week. Being told to #StayAtHome makes me feel a bit jittery, even though that is my norm so much so that some people could call me a recluse. But it is a different kettle of fish choosing to stay at home and being enforced to. But as one of those people in the age group who may not get a ventilator if required then I am more than happy to keep away from people at this time. I am happy pottering in the garden and listening to the birdsong and I am lucky in that I can walk locally without needing to use my car – though I do need to drive to a supermarket as I cannot get online deliveries. Worse than that is I cannot get my usual WINE deliveries!  Fortunately a local wine merchant is still happy to do deliveries and in fact really welcomes the business! If his wines are good I may become a regular!

Plenty happening now, but I’ll start with one more of the rockery daffodils which didn’t feature last week. Still one other variety to come, but so far only buds, no flowers so that will wait until another week.

(1)  Narcissus ‘Canaliculatus’ is a tazetta daffodil (15cm)  with clusters of three to five beautiful white  flowers with a small golden-yellow cup. Highly scented and easy to naturalise, mine are in a small pot, but I will look for a space to plant them after they finish flowering. Not all of the 25 bulbs are flowering so I hope they will next year as they are very pretty with slightly reflexing petals.

(2) When the garden was enveloped in fog the other day I took the camera out looking for nice raindrop photos, from which my tulip post was created, and saw these lovely lupin leaves with their diamond necklaces.

(3) More Muscari – I showed blue ones a couple of weeks ago, but since then the white ones have begun to grow and some pretty Muscari latifolium, each blue-black spike is topped by a tuft of striking bright blue flowers giving it a two-tone effect. I love these and I am happy that they have appeared.

(4) In the autumn I planted 25 Fritillaria meleagris (common names include snake’s head fritillary, snake’s head, chess flower, frog-cup, guinea-hen flower)  in a tiny patch of lawn which I will leave wild. I also planted Camassias there and leaves have appeared. Only one fritillary is fully open with its pretty nutant head, but others are on their way.

(5) The Chaffinch is a  small passerine bird in the finch family. I get a lot of these lovely little birds into my garden. The males are particularly handsome with a blue-grey cap, pink cheeks and breast and a reddish-brown mantle. The females and juvenilles are much duller, but all have distinctive wing bars. This one was happily singing to me from the top of the contorted hazel tree whilst I was working in the garden.

(6) Polyanthus  – this was a pot topper back in 2016 and after the bulbs were removed in summer 2017 I planted them along my woodland border. I’m not hugely keen on the gaudiness of these flowers and they do get horribly nibbled by S&S and every year I think I will dig them out and compost them, but so far they have had a stay of execution. For some reason I love this one. So far this spring it has not been badly eaten. I am sure that won’t last though yesterday I did water in my first packet of slug nematodes. I should get another one in 6 weeks time and I hope they will make a difference. I used one pack last year and the slugs around were much smaller. Of course it does not work on snails and I also have plenty of them too!

While we are having to stay at home and practice social distancing in these distressing times those of us with gardens are so much more lucky that those without. Sharing them through the Prop’s meme will allow everyone to enjoy the spring flowers and help to keep stress at bay.

Take care out there!

1. Lynn says:

Those lupin leaves😲! Isn’t it funny how we often crave alone time at home or on the trail and yet when it’s mandated? Not so much! Hope you are having a lovely day Jude 💕

Heading back out into the garden Lynn to finish off some weeding whilst the sun is still shining. A cold wind though so I won’t be out for long!

1. Lynn says:

Take the sunshine when you can😁

2. Cathy says:

Like you, I am inclined to be reclusive (and in the garden!) But this is different – I now realise how much I enjoyed the social activities I do get involved in. I had given up two music things (temporarily) in order to get lots done in house & garden. Now raring to go right back when it’s over! Your camassia and frit lawn will be absolutely beautiful when it gets going. Thanks for sharing all of your six!

I’m not at all sociable, but I do love to explore the Cornish gardens at this time of year, walk on the beaches whilst they are still empty, and go out for lunch with the OH. He’s suffering more than me because he is more sociable and is missing his folk music groups. Just hoping we stay safe!

1. Cathy says:

Folk music groups – how wonderful! I used to do a lot of that when I lived in England. More isolating in France, but I still try.

3. I know what you mean about being told you have to stay inside. I am a homebody with my kids and suffer from anxiety when I go out sometimes but I force myself to go so I don’t become a real recluse. Now, though, I’m losing practice and want to go out again. It’s driving me a little crazy!!’ And we have to move our house next week because we can’t change the date of the sale for financial reasons for both parties. It’s all very nerve wracking but the photos of your flowers are very calming. Thank you for sharing!

Moving house must be a nightmare at his time. I wish you well!

1. It is but it has to be done now or we could lose our funding and so could the buyers of our house. It’s funny because people we know seem to think we are nuts like we planned to move our house during this time. We’re like “Yeah..um…we have been working toward this for two months..before any of this was going on.”

4. Your raindrop photos are beautiful. I do love rain on leaves. And how lovely to have Chaffinches.

Thank you. The chaffinches and sparrows are the majority birds here, but I also have goldfinch, robins, wrens, dunnocks, the occasional blackbird and thrush, collared doves and magpies, blue tits and great tits and my lovely pied wagtails. Not to mention the corvids and the buzzards, kestrels and possibly sparrowhawks! It’s never quiet!

5. Jo Shafer says:

Hey, Jude! Thank you for your six this last Saturday of March. Such delights in your garden don’t appear shy at all. That IS an unusual muscari with the topper. My purple muscari have begun to expand more since my previous Six on Saturday post, but the resident finches have not returned yet this spring. We saw our first Robin yesterday as he visited the freshly filled birdbath. My, how he’s grown during the winter. Must be spring now!

6. Lisa says:

It’s hard for me to stop taking pictures of lupine after a rain or dewy morning. They look amazing!

7. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for the picture of the chaffinch. I love the variety of birds I don’t get to see here. We have many goldfinches, house finches and sparrows, but none quite like your bird.

8. Jim Stephens says:

I haven’t had a lot of luck with keeping daffs going and was wondering about planting some along the top of the old field hedge at the top of the garden which is very well drained and sunny. Ron Scamp says Canaliculatus needs a sunny spot, I think I’ve found the variety to try, thank you.

9. Murtagh's Meadow says:

I have always liked snake head fritillary but never tried growing them. Lovely collection

Several open today and nodding away in the rather chilly breeze.

10. pommepal says:

A beautiful collection of springness Jude. How happy you must be to see the sun. I agree to have a garden at the moment is a blessing and keeps us busy and positive.

Oh PP, you have no idea how lovely it is to see the sun!

1. pommepal says: