from Chaos comes Beauty

On Monday we had the first dry day in over a month. A whole day of blue sky and sunshine. It was even quite warm in the sun, although the temperature only reached 11°C, but the wind was light and that made a big difference. On Monday came the news that we shouldn’t socialise any more or make unnecessary journeys. Does visiting a garden where there are no crowds of people classify as unnecessary? I find it a huge boost to my mental health and physical health too as it enables me to get a good walk in beautiful surroundings. NB: The National Trust have announced that they will keep their parks and gardens open (for free) but close  houses, shops and cafés from Friday 20th March.

(please click on any image to enlarge it)

At the time of my visit to Trengwainton Garden near Penzance I was blissfully unaware of what was to come and had several thoughts running through my mind as to what I wanted to photograph. Cornish gardens are a joy in early spring – with Magnolias, Camellias and spring bulbs at their best, soon to be followed by Azaleas and Rhododendrons.

There can be nothing better than capturing the glorious colours of the Magnolias against a brilliant azure sky and I love how the flowers often imitate pretty birds fluttering on the end of the branches.

With my Photo Challenge in mind on my Travel Blog I was looking for textures and patterns, colours and light and shadow. I have been to this garden many times and photographed hundreds of plants, but this time I was more aware of what and how I wanted to capture a subject.

Afterwards, when looking through my images I picked out several that, to my mind, also capture the idea of beauty coming from chaos. In this respect I chose those with chaotic twisted branches, multiple stemmed plants, or masses of leaves/flowers.

As we enter a time of darkness, I will leave with one of my favourite shots of the day, the brightness of this lovely fern (Polypodium vulgare?) an epiphytic plant that grows on the surface of other plants and trees; growing here on an ancient moss covered tree.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #88 | Chaos

1. Ann Mackay says:

The garden visit must have made you feel better and now your photographs from it are making us feel better… 🙂

I have waited so long for decent weather so I could get to a garden so it was really nice to do so. Luckily there are open spaces close to me that I can still visit even when many places are closed now.

1. Ann Mackay says:

It’s great that you can get to places that you enjoy visiting – planning to do a bit of that myself soon. We need these trips out to keep ourselves positive!

That’s a lovely crop of photos, Jude. And it didn’t rain here today! 🙂

Should be nice next week. Still cloudy here, but dry and not windy, though that won’t last!

3. Jo Shafer says:

Nature repeatedly renews itself, no matter what else is going on. I have had it with living under “house arrest” during this pandemic. The days are sunny, magnolia and rhododendrons in bud, and birds flitting, so why not venture out to the garden myself? I did. I cleaned the courtyard and set out blue cushions, then sat out there with a tall glass of iced coffee, courtesy of Starbuck’s Via Instant, and read a book while Charlie (my Cocker Spaniel) joined me on the settee. Bliss . . . .

Yes, I’m glad I have my little garden and will happily sit outside when the weather improves.

4. Leya says:

This magnificent and colourful chaos has lifted my spirits every time I went back looking at your photos. And that is about four-fem times already. In my phone first, and then on a bigger scale. Cannot get enough. Spring glory, Magnolia glory…Thank you so much, Jude! A wonderful chaos indeed.

Thank you A-C. I am so glad that you enjoyed the post. It really was a beautiful day.

1. Leya says:

Here’s to more beautiful days! ♥

5. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Beautiful images. You are well ahead of us with all that blossom. Stay safe and well.

Yes, spring comes early in Cornwall.

6. Su Leslie says:

Cornish-blue skies and your beautiful garden photos are a wonderful tonic Jude.

7. Amy says:

A fabulous series, Jude! So wonderful to enjoy these beautiful colors and blossom on a gloomy morning.

Thanks Amy, glad you have enjoyed them. I wasn’t sure if I’d have anything for chaos.

1. Amy says:

Your photos express some of the chaos, but they are beautiful. Stay safe, Judy.

8. Thanks for brightening my day with your beautiful photos.

You are very welcome!

9. I’m glad you were able to enjoy your visit before the shut down. With luck, you’ll be able to next spring, too!

10. The weather looks glorious – I agree that getting out and about in gardens and nature is incredibly important for well being and mental health. I do hope the regulations continue to allow this or else a whole other set of problems will present themselves. Stay safe 🙂

NT parks and gardens have been closed as they are worried that in the nice weather too many people will visit. A damn shame, but at least I have a garden and we can walk in the lanes around our house.

1. Yes that is a shame it was such a good idea. Your garden is beautiful so that is a bonus and hopefully you can continue to enjoy walks in the country lanes for many months to come!

Let’s hope the weather cooperates – it will be annoying if we have to remain inside. I need a lot of work doing in the house too, but getting trades in will be unwise, even though they will need the income.

2. I know it’s a real conundrum. We’ve been having the exterior of our house repainted for the past 2 weeks – we didn’t want to cancel although I had concerns. The painter is outside most of the time and just comes in to use the back bathroom separate from the rest of the house. We don’t use it and at the end of the day I sanitise everything to within an inch of it’s life! My house has never been so clean! Think he’ll finish up this week and then we’ll have no more tradesmen here for a long time but so many of them will lose their livelihoods if this goes on. Hoping our son in law’s business will be ok – he’s an auto trimmer but does work on his own for the most part in his workshop. Our daughter is doing relief teaching this year so she won’t get paid if the schools close though there is talk of giving relief teachers extra leave loading to help them out. Tough times indeed.