Six on Saturday | MiddleMarch

I so want to begin one of these posts without mentioning the weather, but not this week. I think the rest of the country may not have been too bad and indeed it has been sunny at times here in the south-west, but the wind has not stopped for a minute and rather a cold one too at times. Hail and rain have been frequent visitors too. So all in all another difficult week for getting outside and taking photographs!

But life continues and more flowers have appeared:

(1) In one of my raised beds I planted a lot of spring bulbs in the autumn, a mix of low growing bulbs like Muscari, Crocus, Iris reticulata and Chionodoxa as well as some narcissi and tulips and alliums. We saw the irises appear in January, now it is the turn of the Muscari – there should be white and blue ones, but so far I have only noticed the blue ones.

(2) Chionodoxa Luciliae are flowering now, white ones in the raised bed and blue ones in the woodland border, though I have noticed one or two there look like a pale pink and lilac. They are also known as ‘glory-of-the-snow’. They are supposed to be grown in a sunny spot, but these in the woodland border are in light shade under the Goat Willow trees. They have come back for several years now so must be happy enough.

(3) Back in the raised bed is a lovely Euphorbia martinii or Martin’s spurge, which is a hybrid between two species of flowering plant, E. amygdaloides × E. characias . I really like the red eyes in this plant and hope it will bulk up as it is only a little one. I bought a larger Euphorbia amygdaloides Purpurea which has lovely deep purple foliage and acid-yellow flowers last year and had it in a pot, but unfortunately it died. Maybe they are not suited to pots.

(4) Next we have the wonderful Wood Forget-me-nots / Myosotis sylvatica a biennial plant which self-seed all over this garden. They really are a charming flower to see in spring and as you can see come not only in the lovely classic blue they are famous for, but the flowers can be purple and pink!

(5) In fifth place is my pretty white Ipheion uniflorum which is related to the onion family. It is known by the common name springstar, or spring starflower. I have had this for a few years too and in the same pot, but I must remove the bulbs this year and find a bigger pot for them in the autumn. I keep saying I want some pink and blue ones so hopefully this year I’ll order them before they sell out! A lovely bulb with sweet-scented star-shaped flowers which last for ages.

(6) And finally a plant that has been inside all winter – a very young Agave – Agave Americana Variegata. It is slow-growing and some of the lower leaves have rotted off, despite not being watered since September. I suspect it is going to be a long time before it is big enough to flower!

I hope everyone is keeping safe in these uncertain times.  At least our gardens are an escape from all the bad news. As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

1. Oh dear, is the wind still blowing down there? Lovely colourful Six-on-Saturday. Not much colour in mine but I am a happy bunny having finished the fruit cages!! I am looking forward to my forget-me-nots which are imminent, then I will pull them all up….as you can tell I did last year. 🤭😉

Still blowing though not too bad today. Difficult enough to photograph flowers though 😕

2. Suzanne says:

The blues are my firm favourites. Memories of walking on paths through bluebells were magical and no rain in sight.

I love bluebells too, none in my garden, but plenty up on the nearby hill come late April and May.

1. Suzanne says:

I think it was April when we were housesitting in Devon. Love visiting there and just not for the flowers as we have friends/family there.

Devon is a lovely county, which part do your friends and family live?

2. Suzanne says:

North Devon in smallish farming communities.

A lovely area, we once thought we might end up living there, we both like Exmoor and the North coast.

3. Jim Stephens says:

I’m glad to see someone else has started to move things out of the glasshouse for the summer. I moved an Agave out yesterday when I was cleaning the glasshouse and feared for my well being if I sat on it. All too soon they get to a size where moving them in and out is downright dangerous. I gave our biggest one to Mount Edgcumbe before I bled to death.

Yay for colour, Jude! Some very pretty things here 🙂 🙂

More colourful every day Jo, lots of daffs on the way now and even some tulips!

5. Similar weather to us in North Somerset from the sound of it. Your garden is a few weeks ahead of mine from your pictures. I particularly like the Ipheion, I’ve not grown them

They are very easy to grow and despite looking fragile the flowers last well.

6. Murtagh's Meadow says:

And yet your photos ooze sunshine, colour and hope.

When the sun shines the flowers come alive.

7. Elizabeth says:

There is an old variety of crocus that the squirrels won’t dig up and eat here. Sadly it is not for sale anywhere. My husband came back this morning after another scouting expedition on abandoned lots with the news that he had found hundreds of them blooming. He will be able to move them to our yard. A great find.

That’s good news. Fortunately I don’t have any problems with squirrels.

1. Elizabeth says:

You have snails though, right?

8. Beautiful spring flowers – love muscari.

I like them, many don’t.

9. BeckyB says:

I got out in the garden for a couple of hours yesterday, but no where near as pretty as yours as the moment. And your cold wet weather has arrived here today, thought it was meant to be getting drier!

Soon the only place we’ll be able to go is our garden, so I really hope the weather improves!

1. BeckyB says:

Just wondering if I should get my Mum to come and stay for a prolonged time.

Well that might not be a bad idea.

10. Susan K. Hagen says:

I love the springstars. My previous home had a small lawn dotted with them. I regret not gathering a few bulbs before I moved.