Six on Saturday | MiddleMarch

I so want to begin one of these posts without mentioning the weather, but not this week. I think the rest of the country may not have been too bad and indeed it has been sunny at times here in the south-west, but the wind has not stopped for a minute and rather a cold one too at times. Hail and rain have been frequent visitors too. So all in all another difficult week for getting outside and taking photographs!

But life continues and more flowers have appeared:

(1) In one of my raised beds I planted a lot of spring bulbs in the autumn, a mix of low growing bulbs like Muscari, Crocus, Iris reticulata and Chionodoxa as well as some narcissi and tulips and alliums. We saw the irises appear in January, now it is the turn of the Muscari – there should be white and blue ones, but so far I have only noticed the blue ones.

(2) Chionodoxa Luciliae are flowering now, white ones in the raised bed and blue ones in the woodland border, though I have noticed one or two there look like a pale pink and lilac. They are also known as ‘glory-of-the-snow’. They are supposed to be grown in a sunny spot, but these in the woodland border are in light shade under the Goat Willow trees. They have come back for several years now so must be happy enough.

(3) Back in the raised bed is a lovely Euphorbia martinii or Martin’s spurge, which is a hybrid between two species of flowering plant, E. amygdaloides × E. characias . I really like the red eyes in this plant and hope it will bulk up as it is only a little one. I bought a larger Euphorbia amygdaloides Purpurea which has lovely deep purple foliage and acid-yellow flowers last year and had it in a pot, but unfortunately it died. Maybe they are not suited to pots.

(4) Next we have the wonderful Wood Forget-me-nots / Myosotis sylvatica a biennial plant which self-seed all over this garden. They really are a charming flower to see in spring and as you can see come not only in the lovely classic blue they are famous for, but the flowers can be purple and pink!

(5) In fifth place is my pretty white Ipheion uniflorum which is related to the onion family. It is known by the common name springstar, or spring starflower. I have had this for a few years too and in the same pot, but I must remove the bulbs this year and find a bigger pot for them in the autumn. I keep saying I want some pink and blue ones so hopefully this year I’ll order them before they sell out! A lovely bulb with sweet-scented star-shaped flowers which last for ages.

(6) And finally a plant that has been inside all winter – a very young Agave – Agave Americana Variegata. It is slow-growing and some of the lower leaves have rotted off, despite not being watered since September. I suspect it is going to be a long time before it is big enough to flower!

I hope everyone is keeping safe in these uncertain times.  At least our gardens are an escape from all the bad news. As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

1. margaret21 says:

I’ve a feeling that ‘gardening leave’ will become increasingly common. You’ll be making good use of it if these photos are anything to go by.

2. bushboy says:

I should post a photo of my Agave Americana Variegata, well it is more like a hundred now and would be about one meter in diameter and with all the pups takes over a fair chunk of the garden bed. I would love to have lots of flowers like yours Jude but the animals eat lots of my plants unless I fence them off. I don’t like to have a fenced garden I like to have my garden flow

Love the Chionodoxa Luciliae, Jude! Keep well and keep gardening for your sanity in these times

4. It has been best in the SW, I can vouch for that, but you have managed to get some great photos nonetheless! All lovely. 🙂

5. My comment made no sense. I am sure you managed to translate from gobbydegook to Cornish. 😉

Haha… yes, totally understood! I did manage a couple of hours outside this afternoon to do some weeding and cutting back of various shrubs and perennials. Got to take every minute we get at the moment.

6. I like the (almost all) blue theme there. Yesterday, we actually had quite good weather and got out for a walk. Unfortunately, all the rain has made some of the paths into small streams and the actual streams are flowing above the level of their stepping stones. I had very wet cold feet and you could probably have heard my swearing in Cornwall if you were listening hard enough.

7. Jo Shafer says:

Mid-March misery arrived yesterday with the sleet, turning to light snow during the night so that the neighborhood appears dusted with powder sugar. Good enough to eat? Nah. Certainly chilly enough to force my crocuses and early violets back into hiding. And so we all during this coronavirus pandemic. At least we have each other to console with stories and pictures of our gardens to keep up our spirits.

Yes indeed, blogging is a great way to keep social distance! And we have a wonderful warm community here thanks to our Master the Prop 😁 Hope your weather bucks up soon! We are supposedly in for a drier week. I shall not hold my breath though.

8. Lora Hughes says:

That euphorbia’s quite startling, in that it looks wide awake. The red flecks certainly make it. Love how well all your spring flowers are doing.

I am sure I have lost some perennials Lora, but they may just still be sleeping, I have one expensive (Sarah Raven) clematis that hasn’t put on any growth yet too. I shall be putting in a complaint if it doesn’t do something soon.

9. fredgardener says:

My Ipheion have not shown their flower spikes ! What happened to yours… potted in the greenhouse?
    Lovely Chionodoxa ( I prefer blue ones….)

The Ipheion has been outdoors all year round Fred and this is the third year in the same pot! It has had leaves for months then suddenly this week up popped a few flowers. I planted white Chionodoxa as part of my aim for a white bed (well blue and white) but must admit the blue ones are prettier, though the white ones have bigger flowers.

1. fredgardener says:

My ipheon stayed outside all winter ( potted like yours) and showed their leaves around February. Maybe the flowers soon …

They’ll suddenly pop up and surprise you!

10. Colline says:

A beautiful collection of flowers.

Thanks Colline!