Six on Saturday | Storm Jorge

And still the storms continue. I think I said this last week…

I’m not a person who gets the blues very often and I soon shake them off, but this interminable weather is really starting to affect my mood. Not being able to visit a Cornish garden in spring is torture, and I can’t even get out into my own garden to help lift my spirits. And my house has developed another leak, which in context with those poor souls in Shropshire who have been badly flooded is a very minor irritation. Having lived previously in both Shrewsbury and Ludlow I know how fast those rivers can fill up when it rains in the Welsh hills.

Fortunately on Thursday we had a respite and the sun shone, the sky was blue and the sea sparkled. And I had a wander around my patch to check all was well. As well as it could be after the rain and wind.

More crocuses, this time outside where some of them put on a brave face and opened up to the sun. The only one I can name is the white one which is Jeanne d’Arc.

The green Hellebore which hides its pretty face is continuing to bloom. I’m not sure what those black dotty things are, pattern?  Or bugs…? I shall have to investigate.

In one of the raised beds I noticed that the Forget-me-nots are beginning to flower, this patch is in the sunniest spot of the garden in winter, it is nice to notice that when the sun does shine more and more of the gravel garden is gaining the benefit. Alas all my sempervivums appear to have rotted away. Can’t blame them and I should have potted them up and brought them indoors, but they are supposed to be hardy! I guess even the hardiest of plants can’t put up with all this wet. Allium leaves are appearing (these are from last year so I don’t know quite how many will return) and hidden amongst them I found a little Iberis sempervirens Nevina which I planted out in the autumn, bravely flowering already though I need to think about a better location.

I have a few pots of Hyacinths, mostly old bulbs which seem to produce less flowers over the years and resemble a bluebell flower, I remove them from their pots once the leaves have died down and then replant them in the autumn along with other old bulbs. I notice that one pot has a very healthy parsley plant growing in it, why does parsley self-seed so easily and yet when I purposely plant it in a pot it fails to germinate? I bought a new Hyacinth for this year ‘Woodstock’ which is a pretty dark purple colour. The pot has been outdoors all winter, but as the bulbs have started to flower I have brought it inside the conservatory for the weekend so it doesn’t get damaged by the storm.

Whilst outside I noticed that my Gertrude Jekyll rose is putting out shoots. I am trying to convince it to grow as a climber so I can cover a fence at the back of the garden.

Finally Narcissus ‘Rip van Winkle’ has begun flowering. This double golden-yellow dwarf flower is often flushed with green and forms a lovely clump, though here it usually has its head hanging down as it is buffeted in the wind. I have a few clumps dotted around the garden, but this one in the shady woodland border is always the first to flower.  I have just noticed that it has white tips.

Unusual to get five Saturdays in February and this date won’t come around for another four years. I wonder what the weather is going to be like by then? Maybe we’ll all be creating bog gardens! As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world.

1. Looking good. I’ve got the same white crocuses coming up. Seeing lots of shoots on the roses. I’m hopeful of a good display on the climbers this year. They were just establishing last year.

2. Flowering forget me nots in February? Blooming heck (forgive the pun). Hopefully your lovely crocuses will lift your spirits.

Crocuses pretty much over now I fear. A shame because when they are all out they look lovely. Still I’m sure something will appear to take their place other than the FMNs.

3. I’m trying really hard not to moan about the weather, but it’s hard.. There’s plenty of life emerging in your garden, looks lovely. The daffodil is gorgeous!

It’s impossible not to moan as the weather prevents us from doing very much at all! Well at least me. I hate the wind as much as the wet.

1. It’s very trying – I play golf and all the courses near us are waterlogged and closed. Fingers crossed for sun in March!

4. cavershamjj says:

Those daffs are bonkers! I am expecting big things from gertrude this year.

5. Su Leslie says:

I’m so sorry to hear about another leak. I’ve been there, and it is miserable.
    Your garden is looking so good and hopefully the storms will end soon and you can get out and about again.

Be nice to get some weeding done! And I have some Hellebore seedlings that need repotting, but my potting table is outside!

1. Su Leslie says:

Fingers crossed 🤞

6. The garden is looking lovely despite the weather.

Aw, thank you. It is all starting to get going, but I really want to spend some time out there doing some weeding and tidying up. I just looked at my post about the rain in October! So we have had five months of rain without much respite. That is much too long.

7. janesmudgeegarden says:

Well, you might have had a lot of rain, but your garden looks fabulous in the main photo. I’m sorry to hear about ongoing leaky problems, what a nuisance.
    That narcissus is pretty wild, like a mop of untidy hair. Definitely one to keep a lookout for. I enthusiastically planted some sempervivens and they did well for a while and then got some kind of mealie bug which seemed to be untreatable. Very disappointing.
    I hope you get some brilliant sunny weather soon.

Brilliant sunny weather would be amazing Jane! I love your description of the daffs! I shall see if I can get a better photo when more of them are in flower. The leaks are a right pain, but in comparison to people who have had their houses flooded it is a minor problem and hopefully one which can eventually be sorted. I must admit my faith in tradesmen is not great.

8. Ann Mackay says:

‘Woodstock’ is a gorgeous colour – love how it graduates from darker and blue-er at one end of the flower to pinker at the other. Hope your weather improves soon – really want spring here too!

Meteorological spring has begun (seeing it is after midnight) but no sign of this wind and rain relenting. I’m not really a hyacinth fan but the colour of Woodstock caught my eye and bulbs are so cheap.

1. Ann Mackay says:

It’s quite difficult to be patient at this stage and wait for the warmth of spring to arrive. I reckon all of us gardeners are champing at the bit, wanting to enjoy our gardens again!

9. Yep, I’m tired of this weather too. Can we put in an official complaint with someone? I’m also trying to grow Gerty as a climber. It’s her second year and she’s looking a bit spindly at the moment but yours has lots of shoots. Those crocus look very cheerful.

If only there was someone to complain to! I thought perhaps it was bad for us as we live in the south west which is notorious for its mild damp climate, but it seems most of the UK has suffered this year.

10. Joanne Sisco says:

It may be soggy and wet in your corner, but all that fresh new colour looks wonderful.