Six on Saturday | Blustery Saturday

And still the storms continue.

But in a brief hour of sunlight I nipped out into the garden to examine the damage. A cold and blustery wind did not make taking photographs easy, but needs must.

First some more shots of the lovely Crocus Chrysanthus ‘Blue Pearl’ and ‘Cream Beauty’ and Crocus ‘Orange Monarch’  which still remain in the conservatory. At last the sunlight enabled them to open. For a short time.

Out along the woodland border the colours increase with more Hellebores joining the party. Now I have white, pink and a greenish one. A shame they hang their heads down when they have such lovely faces. But I am pleased to see so many buds on my Hellebore niger.

I took the opportunity of the sunlight to get some lovely backlit photos of the  ‘Tête-à-tête‘ which is one of the most popular dwarf daffodil. I have a few clumps in the shady borders and some in containers too: it is so cheerful to see them around the garden at this time of year. The pretty green bowl that held the purple irises a month ago is now full of daffodils. I have no idea what is in this pot as I just planted all the leftover bulbs from last spring. I think there might even be tulips.

Making its debut on the SoS posts is my driftwood ‘sculpture’. Until now it has been lying unseen beneath my dwarf Hebe, but this winter I decided to move it to the gravel garden and stood it on end. From certain perspectives it almost looks like some kind of dwarf giraffe or maybe a camel.

Under the Willow tree the crocuses continue to open and get flattened. It is sad to see them lying on the ground as they flower for such a short while. You can just about make out Crocus Sieberi tricolor and Snowbunting bravely making an appearance. The ubiquitous Forget-me-nots are getting ready to take over now.

Meanwhile on the patio the pots of tulips are doing OK despite the continuous battering they are experiencing this year.

1. n20gardener says:

Lovely, lovely photos. Quite cheered me up! The rain and wind are getting me down but those clouds of crocuses look wonderful and the tete a tete are glorious. 🙂

I never used to bother with daffs, as I always favoured tulips, but here where it is so windy the tulips don’t do so well and these little daffs do, plus they flower for ages and come back each year! When the rest of them open I’ll do a daff special six 🙂

1. n20gardener says:

I’ll look forward to that.

2. Definitely a giraffe! Your photos are lovely this week (not that they aren’t always), they have a warm glow about them.

It’s amazing how a little bit of sunshine can alter the photos!

Love that Monarch Crocus, Jude! And you’ve brought a splash of colour to my day!

The Monarch is a lovely colour, but a very small flower. I shall keep this one in the pot. A shame it wasn’t able to open as it should have.

Another time…

4. Noelle says:

You manage to bring us sunshine with those gorgeous back lit narcissi..

Little lamps of gold!

I love the driftwood. It can be almost anything, to anyone’s imagination.
    We have those winds blowing still. They have been disturbing my sleep for over two weeks now, and when it rains, they drive the rain down onto the house like bullets. But your photos remind me that Spring will soon be here. 🙂

I am so over wind and rain Pete. Even the OH is getting fed up and it doesn’t normally bother him.

Now you know why I write so many moans about it on my blog. x

6. Oh, those sunny yellows have perked me up! Blustery here too, this weather has most definitely outstayed it’s welcome.

You’re not kidding! More daffs on their way through and different ones to these, can’t wait to see what they are like.

7. Your garden always looks so happy! Yes. I like the giraffe too, he just adds something fun! I have decided from looking at your garden I need more pots and more plants……….

I wanted to get rid of pots, but actually for spring bulbs they are perfect as I can move them around when they begin to flower. Also the borders and beds are full!

1. I’ll definitely have to work on pots for Spring flowers!

8. I love seeing so much spring color, Jude. I have a handful of snowdrops blooming and some hellebores about to, but it is still frigid and frosty here. Thank you for the visual feast!

I noticed half a dozen snowdrops open under the tree, first time flowering and I am happy they haven’t rotted away! Hope they bulk out.

You know, they’re plants that do well in an English garden and they seem to be surviving well. They’re beautiful, Jude, despite all the weather can throw at them. Repaying the love 🤗💕

10. susurrus says:

Your garden is looking great. The sunny crocus shots gave me a warm feeling (it didn’t work for my toes, sadly). You’ve got a wonderful pot of winter irises and the sunshine is setting them off beautifully too.

When the sun shines the crocuses look delightful, sadly that hasn’t been the case for most of the week.

1. susurrus says:

It has looked so lovely outside earlier that I was very tempted to go for a walk, but there was a 40mph wind, so I’ve still to venture out.

A very cold wind too!