Six on Saturday | Light Bulb Moment

Looking through my window right now does not entice me outside into the garden. No sooner had we got rid of storm Ciara and the aftermath when Dennis made his way over the Atlantic. It’s alright naming these storms, but people now seem to think these are the only storms we are experiencing as only the important ones get named. Let me tell you that there are many other ‘minor’ storms which batter our little island!

Last autumn I bought some new crocus bulbs: Crocus Chrysanthus ‘Blue Pearl’ and ‘Cream Beauty’ and Crocus ‘Orange Monarch’  were brought inside last weekend and that is where they are now, sadly there has been little in the way of sunshine to coax them to open.

Under the tree you will find a common large purple and yellow crocus vernus and  Crocus Jeanne d’Arc  that I planted in 2018, and two more new ones Crocus Sieberi tricolor and Snowbunting were planted last autumn. But I’m afraid you are going to have to wait for a photo of those as they were only just appearing mid week and there is no way I can get a photo of them. After all the rain and wind I wonder if I will get a photo of any of these this year.

So here’s a poem for you instead about the lovely crocus:

And all the woods are alive with the murmur and sound of Spring,
And the rose-bud breaks into pink on the climbing briar,
And the crocus-bed is a quivering moon of fire
Girdled round with the belt of an amethyst ring.

~ from:  Magdalen Walks by Oscar Wilde

Crocuses at Lanhydrock – March 2019

The crocus is often referred to as the light bulb flower because it looks like a bright light bulb until the petals unfurl into the cup shaped flower. And it is one of the earliest flowers to emerge in late winter bringing colour and cheerfulness to the garden.

1. Katharine says:

What a fabulous selection of crocuses and a lovely picture from Llanhydrock.

I hope the weather improves soon so we can go back to Lanhydrock whilst the spring flowers are in bloom.

2. 💕💖Love the Crocuses. Was speaking to my mate in Penzance and he said it had been non stop down there.

Your mate is not wrong!

3. Jo Shafer says:

Mine have just begun popping up this week, first a couple of egg-yolk yellows, then the first purple. Purple and gold — just in time to announce Mardi Gras or, as we say at our house, Shrove Tuesday in a couple of weeks.

I really hope the weather has improved by then!

Thanks Pete, good job they don’t ship to England!

Ah, I didn’t know that.

4. pommepal says:

“quivering moon of fire” and “murmur of spring” So beautifully captures the heart and soul of these dainty flowers. Oh dear sorry to here your weather keeps on keeping on… We are back to clear blue skies and HEAT again. But wonder what Mother nature has for us next

The continuous rain and wind is really getting to me right now. The water in the conservatory isn’t helping either. I am just so fed up of all this rain…

1. pommepal says:

I can understand you getting cabin fever and being fed up with it. We had just over 2 weeks of continuous rain and that seemed to be forever. So I would hate to be stuck inside for months. Hope you have a decent spring, and it arrives soon

5. Those pictures helped lift the gloom of today. The blues and that firey orange variety are beauties.

I really wish we could have some sunny days so these flowers can open properly, so far most are dying without even opening which is so sad.

6. Su Leslie says:

These are lovely Jude. Hope the latest storm has passed, and you get some sunshine.

Sunshine this afternoon then hail! A month’s rain in 2 days!

Oh dear! I didn’t have time for this yesterday. How very depressing for you. The orange one looks fabulous! Soon! Fingers, eyes and toes crossed 🙂 🙂

Thanks Jo. Poor crocuses were lying flat on the ground this afternoon 😕

My chin is on the floor in sympathy! 😦 😦

8. They’re so pretty. Do you remember a conversation we had about all my Michaelmas daisies? After so long with no rain, they are all looking quite dead but I’m hoping after our deluge last week they might come back to life. At this stage only one is growing.

I must try and get mine out of their pot before they start growing again. I hope yours survive.

1. I’m not hopeful, they’re not looking good.

9. cavershamjj says:

Lovely crocuses, we obviously have excellent taste!