Six on Saturday | Early Bulbs

This week was described as a ‘quiet’ week by the weathermen. Calm days with some sunshine though some mist and frost in places and some gentle sunsets. I continued my daily pottering though limited to cutting down some of the old growth on the perennials and ferns and turfing out more Bittercress from the borders and beds. This weekend will be a turn for the worse again as another storm heads our way over the Atlantic.  “… a very strong to near gale force and gusty southwest wind will develop on Sunday along with heavy rain, as Storm Ciara tracks to the north of the country.” So back to cosying up by the woodburner and reading a book.

This week let’s have a look at all the early spring bulbs that are emerging from beneath the ground and in the many pots I planted last September. I don’t think you can ever have enough pots of spring bulbs. They are so easy to do and you can move them where you like when they start to emerge.

1. My spring bed is beginning to look colourful as the crocuses make their way up through the leaf litter and more snowdrops emerge. I have some new crocus bulbs Crocus Chrysanthus ‘Blue Pearl’ and ‘Cream Beauty’ and Crocus ‘Orange Monarch’ ( planted in shallow pans so I can move them around), but for now they remain here as this is the only bit of the garden that receives any sunshine. I may bring these pots inside at the weekend so the flowers don’t get blasted.
  2. My yellow Iris reticulata ‘Danfordiae have begun to open somewhat reluctantly. They appear to have green markings, but not one of the flowers has opened sufficiently for me to see this properly. I think they might like some sun. They have a sweet scent apparently so I need to stick my nose in a bit closer as I haven’t noticed any.
  3. More Iris reticulata ‘J S Dijt/Dyt’ ‘ are flowering in pots around my little bit of driftwood. This year’s new dwarf narcissi are only just beginning to open, but more of them in a future SOS post.
  4. Tulips are on the move. I bought new types this year to trial different colours. So it is all a bit of an experiment. No flowers yet – I don’t expect them until late April – but I liked the way the sun was catching the leaves in this tall pot.
  5. Last week’s dwarf narcissi in the woodland border were just showing signs of colour. This week has seen the flowers open. I think these are Tête-à-tête.
  6. Can you have too many photos of the irises? I think not. Here are last week’s Pixie along with Harmony in the raised bed. Along with some of the lovely low winter sunlight.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world and probably lots of spring bulbs from the Northerners!

1. Su Leslie says:

I’m getting great vicarious pleasure from your garden Jude. It is so hot and dry here very little is flowering.

I could really use hot and dry! Tried leaving a comment on your hydrangea post but it went into spam. Not sure why this has started happening this evening! I couldn’t see comments on the bee post. Can you check your spam folder and please release me?

1. Su Leslie says:

Released! Thanks for letting me know. I’ve just noticed that the bee sculpture post doesn’t have a comments button. Not something I’ve deliberately done, so I’m hoping that WP isn’t going to start giving me more grief.

It’s been happening to a few people including me. They are obviously making changes, but don’t test thoroughly the impact.

2. Su Leslie says:

Again!
          I’ve managed to turn comments and ping-backs on again for that post, but I have no idea why it was turned off. I guess I’ll have to monitor future posts :-/

2. A really refined selection of potted bulbs. Lovely.

They give me a lot of joy for not much effort.

3. You are WAY ahead of us! Beautiful.

One good thing about Cornwall is that spring begins early.

4. Joanne Sisco says:

I’ve always been so jealous of your spring flowers in February. For the first time, I’ve had a chance to experience it since I’m currently in Dublin. It’s been such a treat to see flowers on some trees and colourful little heads starting to open up.

… but now we are smack in the middle of Storm Ciara. It’s a bit wild out there and not likely to improve for another 24 hours.

Whatever we do tomorrow, it is bound to be indoors ☔️ 🌧
    Hope you stay warm and dry this weekend!

Yes, pretty windy here now. Enjoy the craic in Dublin 😁

1. Joanne Sisco says:

You know of course I had to look up ‘craic’ 😆 Let’s hope the craic is all good!

Heehee… tried the Guinness yet?

2. Joanne Sisco says:

No. I haven’t. I’ve had it at home and didn’t care for the heaviness of it. I have been told though that the Guinness here is not the same. Sooner or later I will have to at least try it.

Whiskey, on the other hand, is on my agenda for today 😉

Guinness on tap there is good. It is very different to what you get elsewhere. And Irish coffee of course, I’m not a whisky drinker but I do like a Jameson’s in my Irish coffee.

4. Joanne Sisco says:

It’s settled then! Today my mission is to sample the Guinness on tap! 😆

5. Colline says:

Those flowers look beautiful. I always enjoy seeing the promise of spring

6. pommepal says:

Love to see these beautiful spring flowers. It must bring joy to your heart as, hopefully, this is a sign of spring and better weather around the corner

We’ll see how many survive tomorrow’s expected storm!

1. pommepal says:

Storms here too, the worst is NSW, Byron Bay flooded. We had 266mm this week and it is still raining. Getting a bit fed up of it now. But it has done a lot of good.

7. It must be heartening to see all the spring blooms appearing. We are finally getting rain, in bucket loads – 120mm so far since it started. Other places have received much more and now there are floods. But the good news is that some fires have been extinguished by the rain. Our grass is green and the weeds have gone beserk! Hopefully my rose garden will look better soon.

Well that’s good. I think. Not floods though, they are awful. We are battening down the hatches for tomorrow’s storm heading our way. Supposed to be a bad one, but it doesn’t seem any worse than others we get here in the west, I think it is because it will affect the south-east and London that makes the journos get twitchy!

1. Typical! If it doesn’t happen in Sydney, it’s not important here. I hope you all stay safe and dry.

8. Suzanne says:

Spring bulbs just beautiful. Jude, us who live down the bottom are enjoying all your lovely blooms. As Su mentioned above, we North Is dwellers have had a hot, dry summer. Hopefully, the rain doesn’t all come at once!

I’m glad you have enjoyed a decent summer. My son and family were over in NZ before Christmas and it wasn’t particularly warm or dry then! He was pleased to get back to Brisbane! Now they are experiencing some stormy weather. Seems Australia has experienced extreme weather this last year, you have to wonder where it will end. Some places will become uninhabitable if temperatures continue to rise.

1. Suzanne says:

Where was your son staying? Perhaps not the sunny Bay of plenty? Extreme weather is horrendous to plan for. Brisbane is lovely to visit though I wouldn’t like to live there.

His mother-in-law lives in Raglan on the west coast of the North Is.

2. Suzanne says:

Not too far away from Tauranga. January is the start of summer 😎

Practically opposite to you I believe?

4. Suzanne says:

No, more like about an hours drive by road 🙂

What I actually meant was opposite side of the coasts with Hamilton in the middle. And hills 😁

6. Suzanne says:

Spot on, Jude. Good place to go surfing 😎

Yes, lovely beaches around there. Not that I surf 😉

9. Lovely photo’s Jude. Both those iris Reticulas are new ones to me and I will add to the list for next year.

‘Eyecatcher’ is a beauty too. I must buy some of those in the autumn.
      White petals are heavily patterned with rich blue and a yellow stripe with dark blue freckles.

10. Oh I do like that Iris danfordiae. It’s such a sunny yellow and a delicate shape. One for my list for sure…

It is very small. I am not impressed with it other than the colour. Maybe the flowers will be bigger next year. And more of them. I planted 25 bulbs in this pot and they haven’t all appeared.