Six on Saturday | Early Bulbs

This week was described as a ‘quiet’ week by the weathermen. Calm days with some sunshine though some mist and frost in places and some gentle sunsets. I continued my daily pottering though limited to cutting down some of the old growth on the perennials and ferns and turfing out more Bittercress from the borders and beds. This weekend will be a turn for the worse again as another storm heads our way over the Atlantic.Β  “… a very strong to near gale force and gusty southwest wind will develop on Sunday along with heavy rain, as Storm Ciara tracks to the north of the country.” So back to cosying up by the woodburner and reading a book.

This week let’s have a look at all the early spring bulbs that are emerging from beneath the ground and in the many pots I planted last September. I don’t think you can ever have enough pots of spring bulbs. They are so easy to do and you can move them where you like when they start to emerge.

1. My spring bed is beginning to look colourful as the crocuses make their way up through the leaf litter and more snowdrops emerge. I have some new crocus bulbs Crocus Chrysanthus ‘Blue Pearl’ and ‘Cream Beauty’ and Crocus ‘Orange Monarch’ ( planted in shallow pans so I can move them around), but for now they remain here as this is the only bit of the garden that receives any sunshine. I may bring these pots inside at the weekend so the flowers don’t get blasted.
  2. My yellow Iris reticulata ‘Danfordiae have begun to open somewhat reluctantly. They appear to have green markings, but not one of the flowers has opened sufficiently for me to see this properly. I think they might like some sun. They have a sweet scent apparently so I need to stick my nose in a bit closer as I haven’t noticed any.
  3. More Iris reticulata ‘J S Dijt/Dyt’ ‘ are flowering in pots around my little bit of driftwood. This year’s new dwarf narcissi are only just beginning to open, but more of them in a future SOS post.
  4. Tulips are on the move. I bought new types this year to trial different colours. So it is all a bit of an experiment. No flowers yet – I don’t expect them until late April – but I liked the way the sun was catching the leaves in this tall pot.
  5. Last week’s dwarf narcissi in the woodland border were just showing signs of colour. This week has seen the flowers open. I think these are February Gold.Β  They are also the first to flower in the garden and always in February.
  6. Can you have too many photos of the irises? I think not. Here are last week’s Pixie along with Harmony in the raised bed. Along with some of the lovely low winter sunlight.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world and probably lots of spring bulbs from the Northerners!

Crocuses and daffodils are out everywhere around here, side by side with the snowdrops. I hope storm Ciara doesn’t wipe them all out tonight! πŸ™‚

It sounds like it could be nasty!

Pete, please check your spam folder, I appear to have upset WP again and my comments are disappearing… a bit like some of your characters!

There was just that one from you, Jude. I check my Spam folder several times a day. πŸ™‚

I don’t understand why this started as I was commenting fine until the early evening.

It has happened to me so often in the past. Those WP glitches are so annoying, and make me mad!
          (Could it be that someone spammed a comment by accident? If so, it wasn’t me!)
          Get on to WP help. It is still daytime in the west of America.

I sent a email via the help, but haven’t heard back from anyone yet. I’m not quite sure how they get back in touch.

2. Stunning selections. Looking at everyone’s pots this week I think I need to cram my pots with more irises. I think I’ve spread mine a bit thin.

I plant 25 into quite small pots.

1. Yes, think I need to double up my amounts for a bit more impact.

3. Susan K. Hagen says:

This is a lovely post. Very nicely designed.

Thanks Susan, glad you have enjoyed it πŸ™‚

4. fredgardener says:

What a nice colorful montage the first photo. I think I will have to add more pots with lots of iris around the house, it’s superb!

Thanks Fred, I enjoyed creating the crocus collage. BTW I have left a comment on your post, but it disappeared. Can you check your spam folder? No idea why this is happening.

1. fredgardener says:

I didn’t know there was a spam folder on WP .. I didn’t find it on my iPhone but now found on my Mac. Ok, you are no longer spam! 😁

5. Oh my how colorful your garden is! I love seeing all of the bulbs popping up or having already popped up! Tete-a-Tetes are my favorites, I have 200 planted throughout our gardens!

I think I planted 150 new rockery daffodils this year in pots and there are several clumps in the garden. I like them and they resist the wind better than the taller daffs.

6. Leya says:

Oh what joy! Brightening up my day, Jude! Here some tiny green are coming up, but nothing with flowers or colour. You must have a wonderful garden.

My garden is very small A-C, but I love spring bulbs so plant loads in pots in the autumn. It is so nice to have some colour again!

1. Leya says:

I think I will borrow your idea – for next autumn! And colour is so needed.

Do it! Small bulbs are cheap and so quick to do in shallow pots, and cram as many in as you can, almost touching.

2. Leya says:

I understand that is what does it – the cramming! They create small oceans of beauty…thank you again for the push!

7. Beautiful colours! As they say, you reap what you sow…..in my case I didn’t sow (or rather ..plant) any bulbs last autumn, so I don’t have the colour you have! Lovely Six-on-Saturday.

Thank you GG. I bought several new fairly cheap shallow pots in the autumn to plant bulbs into, they are so easy and like you say, now I can reap the rewards. So many lovely varieties too for not much money.

8. Where are you? I want to come visit πŸ™‚

Haha… a long way from you sadly! Nice too see you, I hope all is well over there.

1. Working on it πŸ™‚

Small beauties, Jude πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Sounds like you could have read a lot of books this winter. Any recommends?

I read a lot of scandi noir and crime novels! BTW I think I am going into SPAM folders – the last few comments I have made today have disappeared including one on your post. Don’t know why, they were working earlier today.

Did you comment on Capital too? I saw your Gravatar so knew you’d been but sometimes don’t know if you’re busy and will comment later. Off to check Spam now πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Don’t think I commented on that post. I did my back in again yesterday and could hardly move. This is becoming so annoying…

How did you do that? Pottering in the garden? 😦

In the usual way, doing nothing in particular – I just reached forward to take a photo, and SNAP! Not just the camera! Seeing the chiropractor on Tuesday so maybe he’ll have some idea why.

With the new camera- or shouldn’t I ask? πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

No with the phone. The camera arrived this afternoon, but I have been charged twice for it so having issues getting the money refunded! What a nightmare!

AAAArgh! 😦 😦 This getting old caper’s no fun!

Yes, your blossom comment is in Spam. Grrr 😦 😦

I have no idea why this starts to happen. I am logged in. Maybe I will log out and log back in again. If it keeps happening I shall have to contact the Happiness Engineers. Oh joy!

A couple of people (Poppytump included) have said I stopped appearing in their Reader. Lucky them, hey? πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I have had that happen to me and had to seek people out. Not you though, you still pop up! I think sometimes it is to do with the time a post is published too.

10. You’re quite right, you can never have too many pictures of irises. I’m going to look up that yellow variety. Your spring bed looks lovely and cheering.

I’m a bit disappointed with the yellow one, they are very small and not opening fully before dying. Maybe they need full sun. They do have a sweetish scent though. The spring bed is cheerful, a shame I can’t see it from the house though!