Six on Saturday | colour returns to the garden

Another damp week here in the south-west so not great for any gardening although every time I popped out to fill up the bird feeders I had a quick look around to see what was growing and also pull out some of the bittercress which seems to becoming rampant here. I also took part in the Big Garden Birdwatch on Monday, settling in the conservatory with mug of coffee, notebook, pencil and binoculars. Along came the usual crowd, the sparrows, chaffinches, goldfinches, a robin, a pied wagtail, blue tits and great tits and even a wren. And shortly after the hour had ended in came a blackbird, a dunnock, my collared doves and the Maggies!

1. Braving the mizzle on Thursday I decided to get outside and do some clearing up of the space next to my patio in which a number of damp loving plants have run riot. Iris pseudacorus, Arum lilies, wild water mint, Filipendula vulgaris and Japanese anemones all crammed together in a very small space. Brambles manage to grow there too and it is impossible for me to reach the rose at the back which badly needed pruning. It was not particularly cold outside, but it was wet and slippery on the algae and leaves and I was glad when the garden bin was full and I could stop! I pulled out a lot of thick rhizomes so this space will look quite bare in May.
  2.  Whilst I was out I had a look to see if the snowdrops planted under the Kilmarnock willow tree were doing anything and to my delight I found one open and several in bud. I am hopeful that they will spread under here. This is a terrible photo, but I couldn’t get any closer because of the crocuses coming through and I only had my phone on me, which although it  has an excellent camera I struggle to hold still.
  3. More Iris reticulata have opened, this time the ones I planted in the raised bed. These are pretty ‘Pixie’  which flowers early in spring when little else in the garden is in flower, bringing vibrant violet-blue hues to your borders and patio pots. I planted more ‘Alida’ in this bed too and one is open so far.
  4. In the woodland border and also the Cornish hedge in the ‘Wild Garden’ aka car park, I found several clumps of dwarf narcissi in bud and almost ready to open. The ones in the wall were taken from the pots I had last year and I have some new varieties in pots this year which are coming up. I love these jolly little flowers and they seem to do well here, better than the taller varieties which get wind damaged.
  5. Also in the raised beds I noticed several dwarf lupin plants growing quite strongly. These were free with an order I placed last year, I wouldn’t choose lupins as the S&S get to them and I am trying to eliminate plants that they love from my garden. Last year only one plant flowered but maybe they are stronger plants now and will do better this year. Time will tell.
  6. Now to the front courtyard where I have three pots of Skimmia Japonica. The two new ones I bought last autumn were under-planted with bright red cyclamen that are still flowering. These plants cost me only a few quid from Asda supermarket and have been well worth the price.

You will have noticed all the raindrops on these photos! The header photo is Iris reticulataHarmony’ another one replanted from last year’s pots. As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world and many more wonderful snowdrops!

Nice to see the emerging colours, Jude. There are lots of snowdrops around here, and it is dazzlingly sunny this morning. 🙂

Sun shining here too, but it’s also very windy!

Yes, wind whistling here too.

2. Pit says:

It really looks like spring is already in the offing for you. Not so here, even if we are way farther south.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Pit

3. Wow, your garden certainly is going full speed! I planted snowdrops for the first time and they are coming up! So excited! This is my favorite time of year, looking for growth coming up or back to life!

I planted my snowdrops in the green in March 2018 – last year leaves appeared, but no flowers -so it is exciting to see flowers this year!

4. It is hard gardening in saturated conditions, so I award you a medal. It is a virtual medal. Lovely to see everything getting on with it without too much meddling from us gardeners.

Dashing off out but just popped in to admire the iris and tell you we saw a beautiful Stonechat today. No photo 🙂 🙂

I like stonechats, I have a rather dodgy photo of one!

6. A full garden bin is very satisfying – but those gloves look rather soggy. Please get yourself a nice waterproof pair, so I don’t have to worry about your poor cold hands.

Ah, yes those gloves were somewhat soggy and muddy, I actually dislike wearing gloves at all but I knew it was a mucky job. Thanks for your concern ☺

7. I can sympathize with the bitter cress. I pulled up some of it today but will have to tackle it properly before it flowers. I have mixed feelings when it comes to lupins. They’re lovely but a bit needy. The header photo is great.

These lupins can fend for themselves, it’s a wonder I haven’t pulled them out! I chucked the dahlias as they drove me crazy last year with S&S and earwigs. Can’t be doing with plants that require so much mollycoddling! You’re right about the bittercress, I need to get in with a hoe and I think you can actually eat it. Not that I have tried!

8. It really looks like spring!

Early spring, February can be a cruel month, hoping it’s not as there as so many plants already coming into bud!

9. bushboy says:

I do enjoy the Saturday stroll around your garden Jude 🙂 I am so glad that other countries do a bird count and that you take part. The bird list was lovely to see

Nice to have you visit Brian, just about to have a glass of wine if you fancy joining me 🍷

1. bushboy says:

I would but it is 7:40 Sunday morning Jude. One day perhaps when we are both in the same time zone 🙂

It’s a deal 😄

10. We may be fed up with the rain but it looks beautiful on your snowdrops. The lovely, red cyclamen are perfect under planting.

The cyclamen have done well, I still have white ones flowering in the garden.