Six on Saturday | After the Storm

Storm Brendan came and went which meant another week stuck indoors. This morning however there is a soft watered-silk-blue winter sky and the sun is shining. I don’t get much sun in my garden during the winter months; the sun is too low and doesn’t come far enough to the west and there is also a big bl**dy barn next door casting its shadow. Still I’ll take what I can get, and here are six things I found today on Saturday.

1. Iris reticulata. I have bought several different ones this year as I liked those I bought last year. They bloom early and they are pretty resilient in the wind and rain. Several are a similar dark purple shade, but with different coloured markings on the falls.  ‘Pauline’  has dark aubergine uprights and deep purple falls with white centres, ‘J.S.Dijt/Dyt’ has attractive reddish purple flowers with delicate white and yellow markings and ‘George’ features deep violet-purple flowers,  with bright golden-yellow markings on the falls.
  2.  Iris ‘Alida’ is a pretty Dwarf Iris with exceptionally large, mid blue flowers, beautifully adorned with intricate butter-yellow and white markings on each fall. I had these last year and they are a beautiful summer sky blue so I had to buy more.
  3. All things green in the herb beds are starting to regrow. Allium ‘Cha Cha Chives‘ which I grow for their wacky flowers rather than for eating, several self-seeded foxgloves, a scabiosa (burgundy one I think), and still zillions of forget-me-not seedlings despite having weeded out zillions already! I think more thinning is going to be required.
  4. Along the woodland border which hasn’t seen any sun for months, finally one of my Helleborus niger, commonly called Christmas rose or black hellebore has buds and a flower. A lot later than many other SoSers have been posting. And it looks like something has been having a nibble…
  5. In the same area are a few old Primula cultivated plants that once were used as pot toppers for my first containers full of tulips back in 2017. I replanted them along the woodland border but to be honest I am not so keen on some of the colours and they do get badly mauled by the molluscs. However, this one I like even though it is a bit gaudy. It seems to be in flower most of the year and certainly adds a bright spot to a very green space.
  6. And last but not least is this Hebe (Veronica) shrub which is starting to produce flower buds. I am sure this one is a variegated green and gold variety, but the leaves seem more green at the moment. Maybe it needs some sunshine, which today it is finally getting! These evergreen shrubs do well in my garden. I’d quite like to add one of the ones with the stunning bronze or purple winter foliage. And yes. I have noticed that teeny snail over-wintering in the leaves.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world, though maybe not so many flowers at this time of the year.

Thanks Irene 🙂

1. Ready to see that here in PA

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Oh how wonderful to have some flowers. I spotted two snowdrops today in my own garden but you have colour too🙂

2. Angela says:

I’m ready to see that here in PA, too… but we will have a bit of a wait. I loved the “watered silk” reference. The first time I saw that phrase was when I read “Gone With the Wind” at about age 14. It’s a wonderful image.

3. Wow I am just in love with your Iris Alida!

I know! I fell in love with her last year, I think these are actually last year’s bulbs replanted. I need to look for the new pot. Such a gorgeous blue!

4. Dina says:

Hmmm… I need some help, my clever Bookfayries are flying around Ripley Castle and not here to help; what does PA mean? I sort of sense what it could be, maybe personal appearance…?
    I’m impressed with your captures and how well your flowers are doing. You are well into spring! January is definitely a month of winter for us and we are on our way further North for a winter break, this year also without snow by the look of it.

Hope you are both doing well.
    Hugs from Yorkshire. xx

I think PA refers to Pennsylvania where those two ladies live. I have been seeing the purple irises for a week or so now, but the blue ones surprised me! They are tucked away in the back of the garden so I can’t see them from the conservatory which is about as far as I have been into the garden in recent months! Enjoy the north! We’re hoping to holiday in Yorkshire this year, I need to get a move on and get booking a cottage or two!

5. Wow – your Iris are advanced compared to mine. That’s the balmy SW for you. Lovely selection Jude and I like them in those large bowls.

The purple ones have been open for a couple of weeks now, the blue one surprised me. I think last year these flowered in February.

6. Those iris reticulata are beautiful. I have tried only a couple of times with them, with little success – maybe something ate the bulbs. The helibore looks good in the sunshine.

I have several hellebore in this border, some supposed to be different colours but they are taking their time to produce any flowers!

7. fredgardener says:

As I said to Ali in another blog, the irises reticulata ‘Pauline’ are very nice. I also grow them but another colour : an electric blue colour (‘Cantab’) https://twitter.com/frdvil/status/1094881291600908288?s=20
    Yours, in dark purple …I do like that colour!
    My Twitter link dates from last year, this year they are not as ahead. Another week or 2.

Cantab looks similar to Harmony, I have some of those but they haven’t appeared yet.

Adore Iris and I do miss hellebores… but we have blossom in abundance. Soon be Spring, Jude 🙂 🙂

Yes, you have an early spring, maybe we have the better summer.?

That’s a big maybe 🙂 🙂

Your irises are looking healthy, Jude!

Surprisingly so Sue considering all the wet weather!

Incredible it seems, at times!