Black-headed Gulls

Gulls are members of a large, widespread family of seabirds. Often known as seagulls (though no species is actually called a seagull, and many are found far from the sea), they sometimes get a bad reputation for stealing chips. But gulls are intelligent, adaptable and often beautiful birds.ย  [source: The Wildlife Trusts] It is also quite difficult to identify them correctly, especially as their plumage varies in winter and summer and whether they are breeding or young juveniles!

These, I think, are black-headed gulls in their winter plumage. They are attractive little birds, their head is mostly white, with dark smudges on the ears and above the eyes. The bill also develops a dark tip.

They also rarely stand still for a photograph as they are constantly looking for food. I must start taking my larger zoom lens with me, though that might mean a tripod too as it is heavier than my usual lenses. But then I might get better images!

1. bushboy says:

Images are fine Jude ๐Ÿ™‚ a closer photo would be good. Silver Gulls are the best at food snatching. So many youtube videos

2. Sandra says:

These images look pretty good to me!

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Pretty๐Ÿ™‚

3. Stealing chips and attacking bald heads! As a certain person close to me knows to his cost โ€ฆ

But not these ones! It’s usually the larger herring gulls who steal food

4. It looks like the first gull pictured is beginning to get it’s spring/plumage. It might be wishful thinking though!

Wishful thinking indeed! Bucketing it down today thanks to Brendan!

5. Colline says:

I like the ones you did manage to capture.

Thanks Colline, they are sweet little gulls.

6. Jane Lurie says:

Beautiful birds, Jude. Love your opening image.

Ah, thanks Jane, yes that one was kind enough to be still!

Last week, we had seagulls in the back garden for the first time. I had put bread out, and two swooped down and grabbed all they could. I was used to seeing them all the time in Central London, but I rarely see them here, except at the coast of course. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Elizabeth says:

Lovely images. I have always loved gulls despite their bad reputation among some people. My little sister always called them seagles, like eagles.

That’s sweet ๐Ÿ™‚

9. David M says:

People calling them seagulls is one of my pet peeves. They call them seagulls here in Ontario and we’re hundreds of miles from the nearest salt water.