Christmas Day

Yes, I know that was over a week ago, but it was also the last day we saw the sun around here, until this morning. And even then it soon disappeared under a veil of cloud. It was also the last time I took a photo.ย Brian of Bushboy’s World fame is curious to know what is the last photo on your SD card so I had a look at my photo folder in December to see which was my last shot (I always move photos off my SD card immediately I get home). I didn’t take many shots that day, less than a dozen, and all were from the top of ‘my’ hill. We were heading up through the west gate when we came across this herd (can you call half a dozen animals a herd?) of cattle that have been set loose on the land to help manage it. We are always slightly nervous of cattle as there are a lot in the fields around us and they are not always friendly. But deciding that the NT wouldn’t put unruly beasts on the hill we made our way quietly by.

I thought the little white ones quite cute, almost like teddy bears, but why is it that they always poop on the trails?

If you’d like to share the last photo from your SD card with Brian, then please post your image and then head over to his to leave a comment and a link. He’d sure appreciate the distraction from all the horrible news over there in Australia.

(Oh and I have added this as a bonus square for Becky’s challenge which is running daily this month – I’m posting on Travel Words so pop over and take a look. If you have the January Blues this might be right up your street. )

Those cows do look cuddly, Jude. But I don’t trust cows!
    (Poured down here all night. Still drizzling now. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ )

I don’t trust them either, but it was walk by nonchalantly or have to turn back and we were practically at the top by then.

You need to move near to the coast Pete, Dina has sunshine! Perhaps Beetley has its own microclimate. Rain Forest!

I’m convinced we do have a microclimate. A very localised and extremely micro one! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Dina says:

Happy New Year to you in Cornwall, Jude. Seems like the weather has been sunnier in Norfolk. I know, cattle can turn out to be a very unfriendly encounter, good on you to continue and delight us with the cuddly looking little ones. They look absolutely adorable with the fluffy black ears and matching socks, nose and eyes.
    Like you, I always (try) to load and empty my sd-card as soon as I get home as well as recharge the batteries – no better way to be prepared for the unexpected. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Have a good weekend, love from all four of us. x

Thanks Dina, yes the socks are fabulous! You must have better weather than poor old Pete, it seems to be always raining in Beetley! Enjoy 2020 hope you have plenty of travels ahead.

3. BeckyB says:

oh you made me laugh as it took me two readings before I spotted the slight!!

Such a cute face, and a wonderful bonus square last shot. My mum though would be with you on your slightly nervous, she though wouldn’t manage the nonchalant walk past!

I’d have dragged her along. The OH wasn’t keen either, but I shielded him. I’m so brave!!

1. BeckyB says:

You are SuperWoman!

4. bushboy says:

Oh fabulous Jude ๐Ÿ™‚ I love those cattle. British Whites are also called Micky Mouse cattle because of their black noses and ears. Mostly cattle are fine I find just don’t get between a mother and calf or a bull when he wants to be “better acquainted” with a cow ๐Ÿ™‚

Micky Mouse cattle is a wonderful description! We have some very boisterous bullocks around here too, they get overexcited if you walk through their field and run up to you, I don’t want to get trodden on! And the farmer never puts any notices up when the bull(s) are in the fields which he should do. We just avoid fields with cattle. Safer!

1. bushboy says:

I saw a sign – Can you run across this field in 20 seconds? The Bull can do it in 21

Well at least you were warned!

5. Tish Farrell says:

Splendid catch-the-sun header, Jude. And what very wonderful cows. Have never seen anything like them.

They could be Miniature White Galloway. I liked Brian’s description: Micky Mouse cattle!!

6. susurrus says:

I agree, very cute. Are they as small as they look? It would have been good to have a slightly scared-looking human in there – just for perspective, of course, not so’s we can giggle at their faces.

They were small, (possibly Miniature White Galloway) or at least the white ones were, I should have got a photo of the OH, he was looking a little worried!

1. susurrus says:

That would have done the trick.

Cuddly cows! Who would have thought!

Did you read Brian’s comment that they are known as Mickey Mouse cattle because of their black socks and noses!

No, I didnโ€™t!!

8. Jackie says:

I had to go back and find the SLIGHT as well!
    So cute.

It was slightly hidden… ๐Ÿ˜

9. Su Leslie says:

Lovely header Jude. Iโ€™m not comfortable round cattle either, but Mickey, Minnie and co are very cute ๐Ÿ˜€

Fortunately they are quite small coos!

Sometimes, reading the comments, I forget the whole point of the exercise! Blame it on the wine ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ But it is very pretty when the sun does shine!

The comments are often the best part!