Changing Seasons – December 2019

This is the last month in my year of photographing the George V Memorial Garden in Hayle which lies alongside the Copperhouse tidal pool, a reminder of Hayle’s heyday during the Industrial Revolution and now home to a rich variety of birdlife. This flat trail, about three quarters of a mile long, goes through former GWR land which was landscaped and planted as part of Hayle’s Millennium Project and won gold in the South West in Bloom competition. Throughout the year I have tried to photograph as many different plants as I can and identify them, though that has not always been successful. What I have discovered is the number of shrubs that are native to New Zealand. (Australian and South African plants are also planted in this sub-tropical garden, though some of these were lost in the unexpected snowfall of March 2018).Β

For this month I am featuring the Wednesday Wanderers Wall of Plants. The Wednesday Wanderers is a free creative walking, nature and ceramics project for people living with dementia. They meet weekly with carers and volunteers, walk in the Cornish landscape and use nature as inspiration for ceramic work made at Leach Pottery. The King George walk is one of their favourite locations and members were inspired to create something for Hayle in Bloom.Β

They researched Hayle’s history for the terracotta tile panel and made clay planters decorating them with natural materials such as seed heads, leaves and shells.

The project is run by a collaboration between Leach Pottery and the Sensory Trust.

George V Memorial Walk – December 31 2019

And here is a final look at the entire year: Click to scroll through the gallery

If you would like to see each month in more detail then please click onΒ  TheChangingSeasons tag below. I would like to thank everyone who has joined me in this project this year and I hope you have enjoyed the garden as much as I have. Happy New Year!

And I would like to take this opportunity to thank the lovely Su Leslie for hosting this challenge throughout the year. It is a lovely way to record the passing of the seasons.

The Changing Seasons | December

1. BeckyB says:

What a glorious capture of the seasons, and I just love the cacti planters, or should it be cactus planters? Plural confusion here in Hampshire!!

It is certainly a floriferous little garden and I still haven’t identified all it contains. At least now I can walk there without the need to take photos, though I suspect it won’t stop me πŸ˜…

1. BeckyB says:

hee hee, will never stop you. I am just back from the Hawk Conservancy, I must have thousands of photos of the birds but taken enough 100plus today!!

What are we like! I keep saying I MUST cull my photos, but the job just gets harder as I keep taking more photos (often of the same thing). I really need to stop taking any photos for a year and use the time to organise and delete, delete, delete…

2. BeckyB says:

But we always think this shot is extra special!

But not dozens of photos of rather dull and ordinary leaves…

4. BeckyB says:

Lol! Can’t believe you take anything that is dull x

What a wonderful project, the sensory garden, Jude! And those clay planters are beautiful. I wouldn’t mind one myself- or someone to lead me by the hand through it when dementia grabs me. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Thanks, sweetheart, for some lovely shares this year. It’s a pleasure sharing my world with you.

Aren’t they fabulous? I really should look into seeing if the pottery studio run courses.

Ooh, GOOD idea πŸ€—πŸ’•

I know. I am full of them! There is a camera club not too far away, but it only meets between September and Easter in the evening and I hate driving at night. Plus I am really not a club person, but unless I do something I will never meet anybody!

I can see you as a Potter πŸ€“πŸ’•. Funny no camera club in summer. Obviously too sunny πŸ“ΈπŸŒžπŸ’ž

I’d love to potter. I think I’d make some fab pots 😍

What a great project, and a S you say a lovely floriferous place! Happy New Year, Jude 😊😊

😊😊

4. pommepal says:

A great and visual reminder of your year in a floral tribute. I love those planters they almost look to be made of leather. Here’s hoping your have n early spring and your winter is not too harsh. Best wishes for 2020 and happy and fruitful gardening

Those planters are fabulous, they really should make some for sale. I’d certainly buy them!

1. pommepal says:

So would I, they would make great presents

5. What a beautiful Wall of Plants. It’s a fabulous project to help people with dementia in their creative expression, and it’s beautiful as well. What a gallery capturing all the changing seasons. Wonderful roundup, Jude.

Thank you Cathy. As you know, flowers are my passion and it has been wonderful to record the plants in this garden throughout the year. Now to think about what to record as we go into the new decade!

1. It’s so great to have a passion, Jude. And it’s so nice for you to have an outlet to share that passion. πŸ™‚

6. Joanne Sisco says:

I love those wall planters. There was some thoughtful attention that went into their nature designs.
    What a beautiful place to take regular walks!

I love those planters! The seeds and the shell patterns are gorgeous. They really should make more and sell them.

7. Wednesday Wanderers sounds like an excellent project – and with beautiful, tangible results.

Dementia is such a horrid disease. My father had it and it was awful to watch him decline and not know who I was most of the time. Something like this would have been so nice for him.

8. Jude, you did an excellent recording of the the changing seasons here – am struck with the immense flora throughout the months in your collages and this clay planter finale is a real joy to see. Are you going to continue with this in 2020 in a different place? Either way I wish you a happy and healthy 2020
    p.s. I look forward to seeing some of those NZ plants for real very soon – thanks for the follow!

Thanks Laura, it is a lovely garden for a stroll and I will certainly continue to do so, though maybe not take so many photos! Not decided yet what or if I continue the seasons challenge, but I have a month to decide. Happy New Year to you and I can’t wait to see what you get up to in NZ! My son and his family are over there at the moment visiting his mother-in-law. Lucky them!

9. Su Leslie says:

This has been a really lovely project Jude; and really was a perfect way to show the “changing seasons”.
    I am so impressed by the tiles and planters; particularly in the context of their making. Dementia is a condition close to my heart, and I love knowing that at least some people who live with it are encouraged to enjoy nature and their creativity.
    A pottery course sounds like an excellent winter activity for a gardener — all those lovely planters you could make. I know what you mean about not being a club person; I’m the same, but am increasingly conscious of how small my world is in danger of becoming.
    Thanks again for being part of the Changing Seasons. Wherever your blogging takes you this year, I’m looking forward to seeing your photos and reading your posts.
    Happy New Year Jude.

Thanks Su. I have never been a joiner and have moved so many times that I haven’t kept up with old friends. I reckon I am pretty much a recluse if it wasn’t for the OH!

1. Su Leslie says:

That sounds familiar. I really like my own company, but I think I do need to get out more.