Six on Saturday | November storms

There is no way I am going out into my garden today. Winds of 70 – 80mph have been ripping through my garden since three am and still at it. Accompanied by lashings of rain that I am sad to say has found its way into the newly decorated conservatory. Very sad face.

But just to show that there is still a lot of colour here in Cornwall I managed to get some photos of the flowers and plants around Penlee Park in Penzance on Thursday, accompanied by typical Cornish mizzle I may add. But sometimes raindrops enhance a plant. And I used my new phone too as that is supposed to be waterproof, unlike my camera.

1. One thing that I look for once the flowers diminish are the textures of plants. Luckily this far west we get very few frosts and so tropical looking plants survive outdoors all year round.
  2. Another thing to look for is colour. England on the whole doesn’t do those bright brash colours, leaves generally turn yellow and then brown and drop off, unless you have maples or exotic American trees. But there are surprises like this shrub.
  3. Some flowers are still giving their all such as these colourful Begonias outside the Penlee Gallery and Orangery Café where you can get a very decent cup of coffee and cake and free WiFi. They even do breakfast and lunch too. And you can always go into the gallery for some culture.
  4. In the Memorial Garden I was surprised to find Azaleas already in bud and even flower! Though I had already been surprised by finding white Camellias in flower in the Morab Garden nearby.
  5. A clump of the white Japanese Anemone shone out in the grey gloom, looking pristine. My pink ones faded long ago.
  6. And the lovely dark red Sedum dies off beautifully.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world. There might be a few soggy gardens this week!

1. We were in Penlee Park a couple of weeks ago, it was pouring with rain then! Lovely place, lots of wonderful plants. And the cheese scones in the cafe are amazing 🙂

Been pouring with rain for weeks now it seems! That café does good coffee too. And the orange & polenta cake is very nice. Haven’t tried the cheese scones but will do!

Sad to hear about your conservatory, Jude….but great to seethe plants you saw at Penlee etc

I am in despair over the conservatory Sue. I don’t know what to do next! Obviously I need a different builder to look at it. If only we could identify where the ingress is coming in from!

Nightmare…..

3. Lucid Gypsy says:

So much to see in autumn if you seek it out isn’t there? Not much in my garden I must say, time ran out on me in September and I still have bulbs to plant.
    Are you pleased with your phone photos?

I am not so good at keeping the phone still when taking photos, also it was raining when these were taken so some look blurred to me. It has a good camera, but maybe not a good operator!

1. Lucid Gypsy says:

You’ll get used to it, it may never replace our cameras but they’re usually in our bags.

4. Lucid Gypsy says:

Oh poo,I hope the conservatory is quick to fix.

Been like this for over a year Gilly, nothing seems to work. I thought it was fixed as it has been fine recently and actually was dry at 6 am this morning, but not at 11 am!! I need a really good builder to sort this out.

1. Lucid Gypsy says:

What a pain and expense. Our rain has eased slowly since about 9, the wind too, but there’s more to come later.

If I had known that replacing the roof wasn’t going to solve the problem I would have had the conservatory removed and a proper extension built.

2. Lucid Gypsy says:

I hope you can find the right people to fix it!

That’s the problem 😕

5. I hope the rain and wind doesn’t cause too much damage. I’ve just had drizzle all day but had to go out as took delivery of wood for the log burner for winter so had to get it piled. Lots of colour still going on in Penzance. I’m down to dahlias and a few hydrangeas. They’ll be a little gap until the hellebores get going.

I feel your pain, Jude. The shed has still not dried out, and we had that wind and rain here all day too.
    I got a good dousing on Ollie’s walk, and tree branches were falling in the wooded areas.
    At least your photos have brought some colour to a dark wet evening. 🙂

I have never known winds like these Pete and we get a lot of wild weather here. I hope this isn’t an indication of what’s to come.

7. Chloris says:

Sorry to hear about the conservatory, how frustrating. Lots of November colour in your Penzance photos. The red banana is not hardy here, does it survive outside in Cornwall?

They may wrap up the banana. I will have to see next time I go to Penzance.

8. fredgardener says:

That park looks gorgeous ! The first montage photo is very nice.
    Do you know what kind of shrub is #2? It looks like a lot of leaves turning red in autumn without knowing exactly which plant it is.

9. Hope all the bad weather doesn’t spoil anything in your garden.

Despite the trees looking as though they were about to take flight the only damage was one pot plant that fell over and a bird feeder that I forgot to bring indoors. I am surprised that we still have a roof on!

10. Jim Stephens says:

The number two shrub is extraordinary. The leaf looks like Tasmannia but I’ve never seen it colour like that. I need a pretext to pop down to Penzance.

That was in the Penlee Memorial garden. Do you have any idea what the round leaved shrub is in the #1 gallery?