Six on Saturday | Mid October Edition 2019

With the jet stream bringing wet weather over from the Atlantic this week has not been one for getting into the garden. Bulbs still remain unplanted, though I did manage to spend a dry afternoon planting some destined for the raised bed. Narcissi, tulips, iris reticulata and muscari will hopefully provide some lovely colour in spring.

Meanwhile here’s six things in the garden today:

1. Stepping stones have been bought and positioned on the new bed and four new white Cyclamen hederifolium  planted as well as 25 Crocus ‘Snow Bunting’ which has yellow-centred, white flowers with a faint purple flush on the outside of the petals and 25 Crocus sieberi ‘Tricolor’. Often referred to as ‘Snow Crocus‘ the chrysanthus varieties flower earlier than most and produces lilac petals with white around the base and a pretty yellow centre. The thing I love about bulbs is anticipating what they might be like when they come through. I still have bark to spread over this area and I might plant my Himalayan Honeysuckle (Leycesteria formosa ‘Golden Lanterns’) here too.
  2. Ajuga reptans Burgundy Glow – Bugle.  A superb plant for ground cover that suppresses weeds, it has attractive tri-colour foliage and spikes of blue flowers in spring. I planted several clumps along my woodland wall and it has now started to spread quite nicely. As is the case in this garden mine seems to flower at any time of the year, including now.
  3. Brunnera ‘Sea Heart’ seemed to disappear after flowering, but the leaves have come back, I suspect the S&S had something to do with the disappearance. This is happy in a shady border mixed with Heucheras and Tiarellas, but I had hoped it would have spread more by now. Maybe next year.
  4. In the front courtyard I have a trough of double flowering Begonias. Not the usual things I grow but the corms were free with another plant order. I grew them last year too and they seemed to be happy in the shady spot. They add some colour to this front area where I can only grow things in containers.
    Next year I might try some of the more specialised Begonias as although I love the leaf shape I am not very keen on the gaudy flowers.
  5. Now for some new acquisitions – I know – I said I was NOT going to BUY ANY MORE PLANTS THIS YEAR!  First were a couple of Skimmia japonica female plants that I have been looking for for years (so these don’t count) as I want to have some winter berries. I already have a male plant and the only ones I have seen have also been male, so these just HAD to be purchased. I’ll show photos of them later in the year. But popping into the garden centre to buy a couple of new containers for them I happened to come across a couple of plants at half price. I am a bit of a sucker for a bargain and somehow they jumped onto my trolley.
    Phlox paniculata ‘Twinkle Purple’. I have always wanted a Phlox as I love the scent. It is supposedly hardy and once it has stopped raining it will be planted in my Bee and Butterfly bed.
  6. Aster ‘Island’ series. I already have a large container with three different Asters that need to come out. But this little beauty with soft blue petals and yellow centres caught my eye and will replace those in the pot once I manage to extract them. They are a dwarf form which bloom for a very long period in summer and autumn.

I hope that there will be some dry weather heading my way soon so I can finish my bulb planting and various other tasks around the garden. I still have a lot of clearing and cleaning up to do too!

1. I like the new stepping stones. Very nice. I think I’ve been unfortunate with the phlox in our garden as I don’t think any of them are scented.

I made sure to sniff this one before it leapt into the trolley!

2. I hope you’re able to find some dry weather so you can finish up your planting, Jude. I love the asters!

Thanks Cathy! Yes, I’d really like a few dry days to finish off things in the garden. Those asters are such a pretty blue I could not resist them!

3. I like the stepping stones (and the plants of course 🙂 )

4. Your offer to send some rain must have been heard by the weather gods, because we finally got some – first since November last year. It was only 18mm but heavy enough to soak in, and will make the grass look greener. It also half filled the tank so Mr ET is happy.

5. pommepal says:

Always a joy to see what is in your garden Jude. The header photo looks so productive and love the blue painted boards around the raised garden. Hope you soon get better weather and winter is not too harsh this year. I’ve just come in for my morning cuppa after spending 2 productive hours planting and sowing. We’ve had 2 glorious days of rain, 50mm here and thankfully it poured over the devastating bush fire areas, finally putting them out and giving some relief to our poor drought stricken farmers and areas where the dams are almost dry. My phlox are just finishing their spring flowering burst of rainbow colours. They will soon be coming out and be replaced with petunias. Is your phlox a perennial?

Yes the phlox is a perennial plant and supposedly hardy. I’d like to get it planted while the soil is still warm. I imagine it dies down during the winter.

1. pommepal says:

Must look for a perennial one over here as they are so pretty and my annual ones have been flowering since about April

So yours flowers over winter? Prefers the cooler weather I suppose.

2. pommepal says:

Yes mid winter through to now, starting to drop now the weather is warming up

6. Su Leslie says:

Love your new stepping stones, and the asters are gorgeous. Hoping you digest some dry weather soon.

7. Su Leslie says:

**get** dry weather 😬

8. Cathy says:

Good to see what you are up to in your garden, Jude – wet weather is frustrating when there are lots of jobs to do. It is pouring here this morning so I am glad I had such a productive day yesrerday. My brunnera has certainly spread but I can’t remember if it took a while to settle in and do so

9. BeckyB says:

You’re as bad as my mother . . .not sure a week passes by without a visit to a garden centre. This year she has had to create 4 new beds for the plants she has acquired thanks to plants just jumping into the trolley!

That’s just how it happens 😅 nothing to do with us! Your mum and I would get on fine.

1. BeckyB says:

Far far too dangerous to allow you two to meet, the garden centre might run out of plants!!!

Haha… you could be right!

10. The new stepping stones look nice. I need to order a few more to finish my front garden path. Job for half term.
    Some nice foliage combinations going on there with the heuchera. I’ve still got a pile in need of going into pots but too wet out there today.