Six on Saturday | Shades of Purple

What a week! First rain then wind! I have hardly been out into the garden this week. In fact I have hardly been outside at all. There was some sunshine but it didn’t last long and it was far too windy for photographs so I am going to show some purples captured recently at some of the lovely gardens in Cornwall.

Anti-Clockwise from top left
  1. Scaevola aemula, the fairy fan-flower or common fan-flower (this might find itself in a patio pot next summer)
  2. Statice ‘Market Growers Blue’ – a lovely everlasting flower
  3. Double Aster
  4. Heliotrope (Heliotropium arborescens) or Cherry Pie (another one for next year)
  5. Buddleia
  6. Linaria ‘Fairy Bouquet’ (so very pretty)

With the days shortening quickly we have to make the most of every hour of daylight. Although I used to like the autumn months almost as much as spring I have found in recent years that it has become wetter and windier, or maybe that’s because I moved to Cornwall.

It’s the same here, Jude. September/October used to be bright and crisp, with lovely sunshine, low in the sky. Over the last few years they have just become wet and dull. And it was only 8 degrees here yesterday. 😦
    Best wishes, Pete.

I hate the wet…

2. HeyJude! We have a common theme this week! I think purple is the precursor to orange as ‘the’ autumn colour here.

Orange and purple are two of my favourite colours and they look so good together too!

3. Nice to see a burst of colour on such a grey day. I must try growing statis as it’s good as a dried flower.

4. purple -the colour of half mourning as we leave summer behind and are deluged so often that indoors is the only option – I love your six, especially the Asters which is on my wishlist now. I also stick Statice stems amongst fading potted plants as a brightening filler

The Asters come in different colours and are gorgeous, I see them in the George V walk and they have been flowering there for ages.

5. Nice mix of purple. I quite like the Autumn months. The annuals are dying back and revealing plants behind that have been covered. The tiny Sambucus I planted at the start of the year has been revealed and is well on its way to being a good shrub.

6. Su Leslie says:

Love these vibrant colours and textures. Very cold and grey here today; even the wisteria is looking a bit limp.

Grey here today also, but warm. I was going to do some bulb planting but then the cloud came is together with the rain. I do hope this isn’t going to be our weather for the next four months!

1. Su Leslie says:

So do I 🙁

7. Elizabeth says:

Very soon my large aster plant should break out with its brilliant purple flowers. It was a free plant years ago and I really doubted it would thrive. Silly me. It’s done wonderfully.

8. Beautiful shades of mauve and purple, Jude. My mom’s favourite colours. Love statice but haven’t seen it here.

I love purple too.

Goodness, you Brits do moan! You moved there because you loved it. Life isn’t perfect. Didn’t you know that? (sorry- the wine talking and it’s been a full-on day)

Easy to say when you are blessed with blue skies most of the time 😆

Yep! I know 🙂

10. Tina Schell says:

Beautiful Jude, so lush! Our purple sweet grass is just starting to come in and is one of my favorite things of autumn. It’s been crazy windy here too-weird!

I hope to see your sweet grass. The trouble with wind is that it makes photographing nature so difficult!