Life in the Countryside

Living in the countryside is not all romance and tranquillity despite the wonderful landscapes and incredible views, the fresh air and lack of pollution, the feeling of escaping the rat race. Here in the UK a rural location so often means a lack of amenities as village shops close down and local schools don’t have sufficient pupils to remain open, so they have to be bussed to a nearby town, public transport is non-existent or infrequent and in many picturesque areas local housing can be extremely expensive with many being second homes where city people visit, but don’t live.

West Gate on Trencrom Hill. August 2019. Click to enlarge image.

We are so often seduced by films and TV programmes into thinking a rural life is a better life, where you can grow your own food, enjoy lots of hobbies and get fit through country hikes and bike rides and it can be, but it can also be a hard life if you run a business and sometimes a lonely life. Broadband connections can be slow, mobile phone reception erratic and without a car you can become quite isolated.

Heather at dusk. Little Trevalgan nr St Ives. August 2019. Click to enlarge image.

I didn’t set out to live in quite as remote a location as I do, a tiny hamlet built up around a farm, but finding a house both the OH and I liked was difficult on our budget. We intended to be in or at least close to a town which is what we were both used to, but we fell in love with the views from this house and persuaded ourselves that it’s not really that far from a town or the beaches. And it isn’t, but to reach either requires having to drive.

Trevalgan Hill. August 2019. Click to enlarge image.

I’m enjoying living in the countryside for now as it is a complete change from suburban places I have previously lived in, and I love the views from my window of the local dairy herd grazing in the fields, new born calves and lambs; Alice, the engine house, a focal point in the lane that provides a sense of the history of the county; the sound of horses slowly trotting along the lane, seagulls, crows and mewing buzzards; the smell of fresh air (though not the permeating smell of cattle manure); watching the sea fret slowly creep in filling the hollows between the hills and the ever-changing colours of the windswept downs, but I realise that one day I shall probably have to move back to a town environment for the facilities it offers as we grow older.

Ruins of Wheal Alice engine house. August 2019. Click to enlarge image.

For now though I am more than content with my life in the country.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #64 | Countryside

1. What a beautiful hill. That’s so colorful and lovely..

Thank you. The light was quite incredible that evening.

2. Sadje says:

Sometimes the place chooses us, instead of us choosing it.

I think that’s very true. 😊

Yes, I think you have a very realistic attitude, Jude… enjoy the country life while you can!

Health and being able to drive are important factors into how long we can remain here. I shall make the most of it while we can. 😊

Good to hear, Jude

4. bushboy says:

Ah Jude, almost sounds like my country life. I don’t think I will move back into the urban life though πŸ™‚

Urban life has its advantages when you become elderly Brian 😜

1. bushboy says:

I am coping quite well at the moment Jude. The thought of neighbours “just there” hearing their lifes trials and tribulations is not for me. I hope not to get more dotty lol

I don’t think you can be classed as ‘elderly’ yet Brian, unless I am mistaken! And yes, I do agree with you about neighbours, they can be somewhat irritating with their noise (and I suppose we are too to them), here my neighbours aren’t too bad, but their yapping dogs are annoying!

2. bushboy says:

Depends on what you mean by elderly Jude

Good question! I suppose the ‘norm’ is when one reaches pension age and have access to those benefits that blood-sucking pensioners get 😨, so over 65, though I personally wouldn’t consider that to be ‘elderly’. Probably over 75, but it is all relative to how fit and healthy you are. And the older you get the less old you consider yourself to be πŸ˜‚

4. bushboy says:

I have the mind of a youngster, don’t see the elderly man in the mirror, enjoy life to the max, always doing something both mentally and physically to stay young. I enjoy being frivolous and having a laugh. Pensions here are now at 67 so a few years to go yet πŸ™‚

I was right then. You are most definitely NOT elderly! Nor do you have an old man’s attitude to life. I on the other hand am growing increasingly into a grumpy old woman 🀨

6. bushboy says:

If I had to move to town, I would sit on the front verandah and yell at the kids going past. We could join forces as the grumpy old folk giving kids hell πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

And that depressing moment when you have to tick the last box on the age criteria on a form πŸ˜•

8. bushboy says:

or do a lot of scrolling to get there πŸ˜€

5. It’s so beautiful Jude! Just enjoy it while you can.

I intend to Carol πŸ™‚

6. Ann Mackay says:

I understand what you mean here, having been brought up miles from anywhere in Caithness. (The far north of Scotland.) It had some great advantages as a safe place to let us kids do what we liked but it was also very lonely and isolated. I knew I couldn’t go back to something like that – I do need to have at least a few people around me and a community of some kind. But life has its different stages and you can enjoy what is right for now. πŸ™‚

I am enjoying this stage, I don’t expect to be here forever, and there are definite benefits from being in a larger community. Not these views though!

7. Su Leslie says:

The heather at dusk is breath-taking Jude. I can see how you could fall in love with your beautiful corner of the world, but I also understand how isolated and badly serviced rural areas are. Hopefully, you can stay put for a while to,come, and find a good new home when needed.

Yes, the golden light certainly enhanced the colours of the heathers. As usual I was there for a sunset that didn’t really take off! At least if we move closer to a town we will still have this beauty around us.

1. Su Leslie says:

True. And I guess you don’t want to move too soon (especially after all you’ve done in the garden), or leave it too long. πŸ˜•

I am enjoying the garden and also not having any houses in front of me, but I am a restless sort of person and five years seems to be the norm for me before looking elsewhere. Not sure it will be such a dramatic move next time although we have been thinking it is drier and hotter in the eastern side of the country which would benefit our arthritic issues.

Beetley is less ‘remote’ than where you live, but has all the same issues you highlight. We have those issues without the views and the sea, so at least you have those to make up for it. πŸ™‚

We are only 1.5 miles from Carbis Bay which has a few shops and regular buses, but it’s a fair walk along a lane without a footpath (a common problem), and steep hills so you wouldn’t want to be carrying shopping. A car is vital here; if I reach a point where I can’t drive then we have to move.

9. Your photos are always stunning and looks like the most beautiful place to live.
    I think it’s funny that you say the downside of living remote means you have to drive everywhere. That is the “norm” here in the U.S. I don’t know anyone who walks everywhere, and very few who ride a bike everywhere, unless you live in New York City where the public transportation is very good. We drive even when we could walk. We’re obviously a more lazy culture here, but cars are very much a necessity, with many families having 2 or more cars.
    I take the bus to work, which is considered an oddity since usually the poor who cannot afford a car, take the bus. But even then, I drive to the “park and ride”, when I have a bus stop at the end of my street, a mere 3 blocks away. It’s really no wonder that America has such an obesity problem.

I certainly found that out when I was visiting the USA Cindy! I walked from the hotel we were staying in on the outskirts of San Mateo (near San Fran airport) into the town itself, about a couple of miles, mostly along suburban streets and I didn’t see a single person walking! Even though it was a lovely sunny day. I guess when the oil prices are so cheap for you there is no incentive to use different forms of transport. I enjoyed using the trams and buses on my visits to your cities πŸ™‚

10. TCast says: