Six on Saturday | Jewel Garden…

Monty Don has a ‘Jewel Garden’ (lucky him) where rich and vibrant flowering plants and shrubs are grown. Late summer and early autumn is the season for a blast of vibrancy in the garden and I have been working at this over the last year to increase flowering times and add colour. Last week we saw the lovely golden yellow Rudbeckia take centre stage. This week we’ll check out more of these autumn gems.

1. Cosmos. Still flowering on in the containers, though coming to an end now. Anyway, I need to turf them out soon to plant my tulip bulbs when they arrive.
  2. Lobelia ‘ Hadspen Purple‘,  Lobelia cardinalis ‘Queen Victoria’ and the ‘Asda’ special are still making a splash of colour in the bee and butterfly bed.
  3. Helenium ‘Ruby Tuesday’ and ‘Moerheim Beauty’. Both still young plants. I hope they bulk out a bit over time.
  4. Tropaeolum majus ‘Black Velvet’ (Nasturtium) a lovely rich red, almost-black nasturtium. And the ubiquitous Orange self-seeded ones. These spread around in the raised bed area, in cracks in the paving and in between the slate flooring! But they are easily pulled out.
  5. Penstemon ‘Garnet’ continues to delight.
  6. Cosmos atrosanguineus ‘Chocolate’ is a gorgeous dark, Bourneville coloured cosmos with a chocolate / vanilla fragrance.  And yes, my photo does make it appear much redder. This winter I am wondering whether or not dig it up and put it in a pot and bring inside as it took such a long time to re-appear this year I thought it was dead. And it was quite thickly mulched. Or use fleece? Any suggestions?

I was amused to see this sign in the Trelissick plant area: I think all gardeners will appreciate the sentiment 😀

1. Su Leslie says:

I especially love this week’s colour palette Jude. I’d never heard of chocolate cosmos until yesterday, when it was mentioned — by Monty Don — on a TV show I was watching. Netflix here has several series presented by him which I’ve very recently discovered. Before then, I doubt I’d have known who he is.

Ah, Monty is a legend here. I love his garden!

1. Su Leslie says:

I haven’t seen his garden in any of the programmes here 🙁.
        I’m enjoying a series about gardens in France and another where he goes around the UK helping people transform little spaces. I’m beginning to get the “legend” status in how the various people he’s visiting talk about him.

The French tour was lovely and so is his Japanese one if you can get that. Some people dislike him, I guess he is a bit ‘posh’ but I like him and I love his garden! His website has lots of photos: https://montydon.com/tips-and-advice/

2. Su Leslie says:

Thanks for the link Jude. I think what makes him a good TV presenter — apart from his obvious depth of knowledge and passion for gardens — is that he comes across as genuinely being interested in people and wanting to help them.

I do like that blue pot. It would be quite at home here. I like Monty too. He’s not had an easy ride! 🙂 🙂

The blue pots were a treat to myself last year. This year I have gone terracotta!

A bit stiff? 🤣💐💕

3. I suspect lucky Monty has a team of helpers in his beautiful gardens. I must remind Mr ET to plant some cosmos. They always make such a pretty display.

I suspect you are right. He always finds it easy to dig a hole for planting! And yes, the cosmos are well worth it. Mine have been lovely this year and flower for ages.

4. janesmudgeegarden says:

I lusted after Heleniums last northern Autumn and here they are to tempt me again! I haven’t seen them in nurseries here. The quote about experiments is so perfect: I must remember to apply it to my garden sometimes.
    Beautiful jewel colours Jude, aptly named.

Thanks Jane. It wouldn’t do for us all to have access to the same plants. I like seeing different ones around the world.

5. Cathy says:

Oh what bright beauties, Jude!

Summer clinging on here!

6. A real treat of colour as I return to desiccated spring. It’s looking grim here. A lagoon I’ve never seen without water is dry. I love the glimpses of your garden which has grown with your love.

Australia does appear to be suffering from drought conditions and excessive heat. Good to be home?

1. Wonderful to be home! A shower I can bend over in. A bath I don’t have to use. Pegs for the washing. A dog. But no twins and daughter and son-in-law. How does it all weigh up? I can’t go back for 6 months – used up all my Schengen time.

You are lucky to be able to spend so much time with them. Did you have this time with your Aussie born grandchildren? My youngest granddaughter started school this week too. They grow up so quickly.

2. How did youngest granddaughter take to school? Don’t they grow quickly? And yes, I’m very lucky to spend so much time with them, albeit in slabs. Not so much with Aussie grandchildren – I was working then – a sore point with them, although they seem to have got over commenting snidely on “those Polish grandchildren”. They’ve both visited Poland and built joint snowmen.

She apparently loved it! Mum not so happy though, but she managed to hold back the tears until after she’d left the school.

7. Ann Mackay says:

Love the helenium ‘Ruby Tuesday’ – another for the ‘to buy’ list. 🙂 Penstemon ‘Garnet’ is great – it’s in flower here right up until it gets coated in frost and comes through winter easily.

I hope mine does! I lost one last winter which was very wet and it is the wet that seems to kill my plants off. ‘Ruby Tuesday’ on the other hand came back alright.

1. Ann Mackay says:

Here in Suffolk it’s usually pretty dry, so winter wet isn’t a problem. Drought is, though!

I think drought might be easier to cope with than the constant wet. But then you do get the colder temperatures too.

8. Tina Schell says:

LOL loved the sign Jude. Of course the writer hasn’t seen MY garden 😊. Beautiful flowers well-captured as always

9. I particularly love your Cardinalis ‘Queen Victoria’ – what a stunning, rich colour. Is the chocolate cosmos more chocolate coloured in real life?

The cosmos is a reddish brown colour – maroon? it is lovely, but I must fleece it up this winter I think or pot it up and bring it inside.

10. Lignum Draco says:

That sign appeals to me. No matter how many failed experiments there are, the one successful one will always make you feel better.

I have failed experimented with a few plants since moving here!