Six on Saturday | feelin’ the buzz

Not my garden, I hasten to make clear. But the wonderful sub-tropical paradise that is Trebah Garden, down on the Helford river in south-west Cornwall. I have visited twice during the last week, the second with my macro lens in the hope of finding some interesting flowers or beasties to capture up close. Life’s a little fraught at the moment and the reason for this post being so late today, but hopefully normal conditions will resume in a week or two.

So this week’s six are from last Monday amidst sunshine and showers of this lovely garden. (Although I am pleased to say that there have been a lot of bees visiting my own garden this week too.)

Honey bees that collect pollen on this Hydrangea aspera find their pollen sacs are blue instead of the usual yellow. August 2019. Click image to enlarge
A white-tailed bumble bee enjoys Rudbeckia fulgida ‘Goldsturm’. August 2019. Click image to enlarge
Hoverfly happily exploring Clerondendrum bungei with its fragrant wine-coloured flowers. August 2019. Click image to enlarge
Bumble bee on Lythrum virgatum ‘Dropmore Purple’. August 2019. Click image to enlarge.
Bee happy on Rudbeckia fulgida ‘Goldsturm’. August 2019. Click image to enlarge.
White-tailed bumblebee enjoying this fuchsia-like flower. Zauschneria californica ‘Dublin’ or Californian fuchsia / hummingbird trumpet. August 2019. Click image to enlarge.

As always, if you want a peek over other peopleโ€™s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA โ€˜The Propagatorโ€™ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. Gorgeous pics of our little hatd working friends. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Joanne Sisco says:

Your photos are so good – catching their wonderful little furry bodies. I particularly like the 2nd photo. That little guy looks the bee-equivalent of a cuddly teddy bear. I’ll resist any hugging though ๐Ÿ™‚

Funny you should say that, as I have actually stroked the back of a bumble bee – I kept away from the stinger bit of course! And it was very dozy…

1. Joanne Sisco says:

You’ve managed to pet a bumblebee?!! That’s awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

3. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

Great photos. I particularly like the hoverfly one. Our garden has been abuzz and aflutter with bees, hoverflies and butterflies these past few days.

The lovely sunshine and warmth certainly brings them out!

4. Lovely macros of the furry little creatures. I love Trebah too but haven’t been for a while. I think we need to go soon. We’ve been busy with family visits and are just beginning to recover. Hope things turn up for you this week . ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Sally. Ongoing so could be a while yet.

5. Zoomology says:

Oh, wow! What a stunning array of colours and species. ๐Ÿ˜€

-Emma

6. What lovely photos and close ups. So sweet!

7. Always nice to see a garden full of pollinators. I have Californian Fuchsia to and it is a pretty little plant.

It is a gorgeous plant! And hardy? Or do you need to take it indoors in winter?

8. Lignum Draco says:

Bee-utiful photos, Jude. Lovely details captured.

9. Am glad to see the bees visiting your garden and also hope things settle down for you soon as sounds like you’ve had a few things going on recently ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Rosemary, it will be nice to get back to my normal routine, but needs must and all that. I hear one of your offspring has been in the wars recently. Hope things improve for her.

1. Thanks Jude yes it’s been a bit of a stressful time here – just coming to the end of major renovations and been juggling a few things. Unfortunately our younger daughter in London has done her ACL in her knee playing netball. It’s a really bad injury as it effects the entire stability of the knee and may well need an op – she has to weigh up some options now re her treatment. Oh well these things do happen. Hope things settle down for you soon – it’s disruptive when one’s routine gets disturbed!