Changing Seasons – July 2019

Late again as July has been a somewhat strange month. During the first week my son was in hospital for a planned operation then home to recover, however he became quite ill so was taken back into hospital where he still is, and although he is making a good recovery now, there are still major issues to be resolved. So a lot of my time has been spent driving a 40 mile round-trip to and from the hospital every other day and just when I thought I’d get a chance to do the walk, the weather changed and we had a couple of days of very heavy rain and gale force winds. On the way back from the hospital yesterday evening I stopped to get a few photos to show what is growing here in July. Hydrangeas and Agapanthus are still the main event, but I did find a few plants that I have not featured previously and several that I’m afraid I do not recognise. If you can ID them then please let me know in the comments.

Edit: (Thanks to Tish and Chloris who have offered an ID. I am very grateful and you are very clever!)

(click on the collage to enlarge image)
George V Memorial Walk – July 31 2019
  • Row 1: Yucca blooms, Euonymus Fortunei ‘Emerald ‘n’ Gold’, Gladiolus, Pittosporum Tenuifolium ‘Tom Thumb’, Canna lily
  •  Row 2: Cordyline australis (and string of lights), Nigella  ‘Miss Jekyll Albaand Cornflowers, Teasels, Evening Primrose,  Crocosmia
  • Row 3: Lady’s Eardrops (Fuchsia loxensis), Phlox, Japanese Anemone, Abelia, Salvia ‘Amistad’
  • Row 4: Hebe / Veronica, Canna lily, Shasta daisies Leucanthemum x superbum ‘Shaggy’, Begonia (Begonia boliviensis), Unknown lily
  • Row 5: Dahlia, Variegated Pittosporum, Double Asters, Coleonema album, Lords and Ladies (Arum lily)

All these photos were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M10 using a 42mm – 150mm zoom lens.

The Changing Seasons | July

1. bushboy says:

Wonderful gallery of flowers as usual Jude. I am afraid I am of no use in naming the unknowns. As for “Shasta daisies Leucanthemum x superbum ‘Shaggy’” Gotta love a superbum 😀 😀

Hahaha, I read it as super bum too! When of course the accent is on the superb part! I want the yellow form.

1. bushboy says:

But it does say superbum I guessed you meant superb.

the Latin emphasis is on su (perbum) and yes it is superb 🙂

2. Very pretty collection, Jude. I hope your son’s health improves quickly.

Another operation this afternoon so we are crossing our fingers.

1. Mine are crossed for you too.

Well, nothing major happened, but discovered the problem so now the consultant has another plan! More pain next week!

2. Hopefully it will lead to an improved outcome. Sending love and healing thoughts.

That’s the aim. And thank you 🙂

3. Best wishes for a full recovery for your son.

4. pommepal says:

Sorry to hear about your son Jude. Hope he makes a complete recovery soon. Your gallery is a delight and I am always amazed at your knowledge of the names, well done. Can’t help with the unknowns though.

Thanks PP. He’s had a second op this afternoon so hopefully things have been sorted, we won’t know for a couple of weeks so touch wood! I do know quite a few of the plants in this garden, but they also grow a lot of Southern Hemisphere ones that I don’t know. Takes a lot of research sometimes!

1. pommepal says:

I have an “ap” that my son told me about, that identifies plants. You take a photo and then it matches it with images on its memory bank. I tried it with plants I know first and it was spot on. Amazing…

Hope the second op is a success for your son. It must be a worry for you.

Loading photos into Google produces many odd results! If I ever get a proper ‘smart’ phone I’ll have to look into the app!

2. pommepal says:

I use the app on the iPad but can only use it around home as I don’t have a smart phone

Ah, an Apple app. Won’t be getting that then 🙂

Great collection of shots as always, Jude. I really hope that your son gets sorted soon.

Thanks Pete. He is in good hands.

6. Tish Farrell says:

So sorry you’ve had such a very worrying month, Jude. Bestest wishes for better days for your son. Looking at your unknowns on row 3, was wondering if the red plant is another salvia. And the shrub an abelia??? Shots in dark.

I’ll look those up. The red one is quite short and the flowers similar to a fuchsia, but I know there are lots of Salvias.

I think the red one is a kind of fuchsia, but you are quite right on the abelia. A shrub I don’t know at all. Thanks for the help!

1. Tish Farrell says:

A fuchsia – yes that jogs the little grey cells.

Not the normal fuchsia, more like one of the NZ or Australia varieties. I think I have id it, but I could be wrong.

7. Joanne Sisco says:

So sorry to hear you’ve had such a troubling month, Jude. It doesn’t matter how old our children are, when their world is upside-down, so is ours. I do hope everything is ok and he is finally on the mend. August needs to be kinder to you.

Well another op today so fingers crossed it goes well, if so then he should be on the mend.

1. Joanne Sisco says:

Oh God, Jude. My thoughts are with you and your son.

8. Sending well-wishes to your son. It’s such a worry when our children are sick. Beautiful flower images. 😍

He seems to like spending the summer in hospital – this is the third in a row! I am really hoping that it is the last and all the pain he has been through is worth it.

Sad to hear of your son’s health, and sending best wishes for a speedy recovery. On a happier note, thanks for another lovely gallery….

It’s been a frustrating month!

Frustrating sounds like an understatement, Jude

10. Sandra says:

A challenging month seems more apt. Hope today’s op was a success and your son is on the road to recovery once more 🙂

I hope so Sandra. It has been a long haul.