Six on Saturday | The Zen Patio

Come sit on the ‘Zen’ patio and enjoy a cold glass of Sauvignon Blanc with me this week and we’ll have a look at what’s flowering here at the moment. The patio is directly off the conservatory/orangery and has one shady side (next door’s barn + two Goat Willow trees) and one side facing south which is in full sun most of the day during the summer. This is where I place my Aeoniums and Jade Plant and Pelargoniums. It is also the side where the Butler’s sink is though that keeps getting shaded by the Japanese anemones that grow here. Down the side of the conservatory you can see two large clumps of Crocosmia which are just about to flower. On the shady north-side are pots of Violas, Impatiens, Regal Pelargoniums and scented-leaved pelargoniums and several Auricula.

The Sunny Side of the Patio

1. I bought several named Violas this year as I was impressed with some I bought from the supermarket. They should last a few years if I remember to cut them back in August and again in October. They are growing in individual pots and three of the five are doing well, the other two have been badly eaten by slugs.
  2. Some of the more exotic plants include Kangaroo Paw, Aeonium ‘Zwartkop’ and Phygelius x rectus ‘African Queen‘ (Cape Fuchsia) which has profuse clusters of fuchsia-like, salmon-orange flowers adorned with a yellow throat.
  3. I also have filled two of my blue glazed pots that had tulips in during the spring with Cosmos Apollo Mix. Pink, white and a deep pink along with scented pelargoniums.
  4. On the shady side you will find the Hosta (now rather chewed despite daily searches for snails) and the Fatsia Japonica as well as hardy geraniums in the raised wall. This is where the wooden wind chime is hung too, which creates a gentle sound.
  5. In the butler’s sink are mostly spring flowering plants, but this Lewesia has only recently stopped flowering. I didn’t know what colour it would be when I bought it from Secret Gardens, but it turned out to be white. I would have preferred one of the orange or pink ones, but it is still pretty.
  6. And this pretty blue Moroccan style lantern has been with me for a few years spending the summer months outside. As you can see the Sweet William are still flowering on!

It’s a colourful spot and quite a sun-trap, but you can always move into the shade if you need to. I like to spend time sitting out here reading a book when I am not busy dead-heading flowers or pulling up weeds or watering the pots. There are more pots, but as the Prop only allows us Six on Saturday I have had to restrain myself. Maybe we’ll have a look at six more another week.

It’s pretty labour intensive, your garden, Jude. Very pretty though. I like that first full size photo with the blue pot and violas are very bonny 😍💕

Not so much really. Just a bit of dead-heading and weeding at the moment 🙂

2. The kangaroo paw is doing well in that lovely sunny position. I would enjoy sitting out there on a summer’s afternoon but I’ll have a pear cider thanks. 🙂

OK I’ll buy the pear cider 🙂

1. Goodo! I’ll bring the cheese and crackers 😎

3. Looks like a lovely spot to rest. I planned in several seating spaces in the garden but never find I stay sat long before I spot something that needs sorting. The zen of weeding.

4. Lucid Gypsy says:

Ooh I love your blue lantern, it’s real treasure you lucky girl.

Found it in a barn shop in the Cotswolds and just had to have it for the patio in Ludlow.

1. Lucid Gypsy says:

Does it work better in Cornwall?

It was better in Ludlow as there were less plants to complete with! I need to find the right place for it here.

5. n20gardener says:

That’s a pretty pretty patio. A lovely place to sit. I bought some named violas this year but of course the slugs munched the flowers. Such a shame. I have nasturtiums in a sink which are okay but I don’t think I’ve found the perfect planting for it yet. I’m going to look up lewesia, I like the white. Enjoy yourself!

I started with succulents in the sink, but then added some alpines. I might go back to succulents next year but those that are hardy so I don’t have to faff about bringing them indoors.

6. I’m keen on the white Lewisia and have one in my trough. It looks great but as you say the bolder coloured ones are more eye-catching. Lovely selection of plants you have!

Thanks Katherine.

7. Thank you for the invitation to your Zen garden I had a lovely time looking at your plants. Lewisia is a favourite of mine but I can never get it to flower again after its first flush, so get through a number of plants – what is the secret to keep them going?

I only bought the Lewisia this spring so yet to see if it survives the winter!

8. bushboy says:

Fabulous as usual Jude 🙂

Thanks Brian – what’s your tipple?

1. bushboy says:

I enjoy wine mostly, whites more than reds as reds make my sinuses go haywire. And of course bubbles 🙂

Ooh, well in honour of your bday maybe we will open a bottle of prosecco 🍾

2. bushboy says:

Sounds like a good idea. I had some Sav Blanc 🙂

9. Cathy says:

That’s looking good, Jude, despite the efforts of slugs – and well done for making time to sit, even if only occasionally!

I am trying to avoid the plants the S&S love, but occasionally one slips in, like the violas. It is a nice private place to sit outside, well when the neighbours aren’t out BBQing!

1. Cathy says:

Hmm, barbeques have a lot to answer for (but perhaps better than hot tubs for neighbourly noise? Depends on the neighbours I suppose)

10. Lovely view from your patio. Is the Phygelius in the ground? I grew one a few years ago but it ran away under the fence into my non-gardening neighbours garden so I dug it out. It was a pale yellow flowered variety (Moondrops?).

No, mine is in a pot. There appears to be a yellow one called Moonraker. Looks rather lovely.