Changing Seasons – June 2019

I thought I wasn’t going to make it to this walk this month. It has been a very topsy turvy month weatherwise and not at all like June and the beginning of summer. Rain (though not as much as a lot of the UK), mist, fog, gale force winds and lots of cloud kept me at home. Finally the sun broke through today and I was able to go and see what is growing this month. Hydrangeas are coming into their own and Cornwall has lots of them in gardens and used as hedges along the roadside. There are several along the walk too as well as dozens of huge Agapanthus ranging from dark navy blue through to white. Last year these plants suffered badly from the rare snowfall we had, but they have come back better than ever.

(click on the collage to enlarge image)

George V Memorial Walk – June 30 2019
  • Row 1: Ceratostigma willmottianum (Chinese plumbago ),  Lychnis coronaria (rose campion), Astrantia, Nigella, White Agapanthus
  •  Row 2: Phormium flower (New Zealand flax), Fuchsia, Philadelphus (Mock Orange), Cerinthe major ‘Purpurascens’ (Honeywort), Cotinus Coggygria (Smoke Bush)
  • Row 3: Mesembryanthemum (Livingstone Daisy), Dk Blue Agapanthus, Poppy, Sempervivum flower, Shasta Daisy
  • Row 4: Aloe, Salvia ‘Hot Lips’, Solanum(Lycianthes) rantonnetii (Blue Potato Bush), Centaurea cyanus (Cornflowers), Hemerocallis (Daylily)
  • Row 5: Aloe, Hydrangea, Poached Egg plant (Limnanthes douglasii), Acanthus mollis (Bear’s Breeches), Buddleja davidii ‘Black Knight’

All these photos were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M10 using a 42mm – 150mm zoom lens.

The Changing Seasons | June

What a gallery! Hope July goes to plan, Jude 🙂 🙂

I have plenty of walks in mind to get him active! Just hope the weather improves! Been very foggy here even though the rest of the country has had a heatwave!

2. Sadje says:

Fantastic flowers and pictures

3. Joanne Sisco says:

Oh my – look at that hydrangea. I would swoon if mine actually looked like that.

The hydrangeas in Cornwall are pretty spectacular. Whole hedgerows of them!

4. I love agapanthus. They always make such a pretty display. We have blue ones lining our driveway.

Oh, that sounds glorious. They have long lines of them in this garden and they do look amazing. I bought some youngsters this year, one has produced a flower but the rest haven’t done much. We need some heat!

1. Ours have very long stems, up to a metre and huge blooms.

The ones on the walk are big ones too! I don’t think mine will be.

5. pommepal says:

A gorgeous gallery Jude, even though the weather has been so bad nature has still put on a magnificent show

6. Su Leslie says:

Lovely gallery Jude. Hope July offers better weather.

Me too! I’d like to get in a couple of beach walks before the crowds descend at the end of the month!

1. Su Leslie says:

Fingers crossed!!

7. bushboy says:

Bet you can’t guess which flower photo is my favourite?
    OK give in. It’s all of them

Lovely images as always, Jude. We got the heat on Saturday, and it seems to be staying fine, though not as hot.
    Ollie was shocked by the change in the weather, and has spent most of his walks in the river!

9. Murtagh's Meadow says:

I seem to be seeing Astrantia everywhere at the moment – do you know if they are a good pollinator flower?
    Beautiful gallery

I haven’t personally got any Astrantia, but I would like one in the shady border. Not sure about pollinators but the head is quite open like a pincushion so I would expect so.