Under the Tamarisk tree

I used to have Tamarisk trees in our garden in Cape Town. They are extremely good in coastal locations as their natural preference is for sun and sand, the salt in the air and in the moisture from the ground near the sea acts as a moisture regulator. It provides a built-in guard against transpiration. The pretty pink, feathery-flowered tree looks good and in Cornwall you often see them grown as hedges. This particular grove is on Pentire West headland, the flowers are only just beginning to appear but will flower for a couple of months and I love how this frames the stile on the coastal path.

1. Pete Hillman says:

That looks like such an inviting to spt, Jude. Beautiful

It is a wonderful walk Pete, becoming one of my favourites.

I wouldn’t have known what tree it was, but that’s a great ‘English’ photo, Jude. πŸ™‚

A great Cornish photo Pete πŸ˜‰

Ah, independence for Kernow!
        Raise high the black and white flag… πŸ™‚

πŸ˜‚ Well it certainly feels like we live in another country!

3. I love the lines in this photo, Jude. The uphill slope, the line of trees and the stile in the middle all draw me in and make me want to see more.

I had to turn around to get this shot, but I thought when I passed over the stile that there might be something worth photographing.

4. Tish Farrell says:

What a lovely bosky spot, Jude. And that inviting stile.

And isn’t bosky a lovely word?

1. Tish Farrell says:

Just the one – when you need such a word. I don’t think there’s a good alternative πŸ™‚

5. there used to be one growing in Covent Garden on a busy junction with Monmouth street but it was cut down for obscuring traffic – whilst I love urban trees the Tamarisk is evidently best suited to your kind of environment – looking so naturally lovely over that stile and I can imagine sheltering there in one of those brief summer rainbursts

Ah, yes, it would have been useful for us to shelter under on the way back, but we went a different route!

6. Sandra says:

We were there on Tuesday. Beautiful!

Were the poppies still blooming?

1. Sandra says:

They were. But on the wane. The corn marigolds on the other hand, were astounding. Hope to have a blog post up at the weekend πŸ™‚

That’s a tree I don’t know, Jude

I think I have only seen them in Cornwall in this country.

Well, you have the right conditions there…..

Truly windy today! Been glorious but oh so blustery! Plants battered to the ground! Tree branches in the roads!

Oh, goodness!

2. Sandra says:

We had a tamarisk tree in our previous garden in north Oxfordshire. Only other time I’ve seen one apart from here.

8. Pit says:

I didn’t know about Tamarisks. Thanks for the info.

We have quite a lot. Lovely wispy things πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

10. When I visited Big Bend National Park in west Texas a some years ago a stand of flowering trees attracted me to take photographs. Later I learned that the trees were tamarisks, of which the National Park Service writes: “One of the most common invasive species at Big Bend National Park is the saltcedar tree, also known as the tamarisk. The saltcedar, a species native to Asia, was introduced to the U.S. in the early 19th Century to serve as windbreaks, stabilize riverbanks, and prevent soil erosion. The tree is abundant in riparian environments of the western U.S. The introduction of the saltcedar had unforeseen effects. The tree is tolerant to high salinity. When it secretes salt, it deposits it into the soil, which effects surrounding vegetation. It pushes out native species, creating a loss in biodiversity and wetland habitats. The saltcedar also recovers more quickly after fire than native vegetation along river corridors. Additionally, the large amount of dead leaves and branches the tree leaves behind creates fuel for fires.”

Still, I understand how your memories from South Africa and the presence of tamarisks in Cornwall now have created a fondness for them in you.

And they really suit the climate and location here. They seemed to be a lot of wild flowers nearby too so maybe they enjoy the salty soil!