Six on Saturday | Midsummer

The longest day (in the northern hemisphere) has been and gone and what a glorious day it was! I managed to mow the lawn at last and remove some of the sprawling hardy geraniums that were getting out of control. I didn’t feel in the least bit guilty at digging one clump up and composting it as it was only a filler from a cutting. Having served its purpose it was now time to go. Hardy geraniums seem to self-seed all over the place so I am constantly pulling bits out and the pink ones quickly become quite large and messy so need cutting back, but they are easy maintenance plants and add colour for months plus the S&S leave them alone which is a huge bonus!

1. Geranium himalayense ‘Derrick Cook’ is a compact form of Geranium himalayense. It has  pale pink  very large white, saucer shaped flowers that are delicately veined with purple eyelashes. This one likes partial shade and the foliage is supposed to colour up nicely in the autumn. As I only bought it this spring I can’t yet confirm that aspect.
  2. Geranium sanguineum ‘Elke’ is an extremely pretty, low-growing cranesbill, forming masses of small, dark pink flowers in contrast with deeply divided foliage. Another newbie this year this one actually likes full shade so she is in a container in the courtyard garden, growing nicely in a pot along with a fuchsia. Awful photos, She really is a lovely pink, but for some reason I could not capture this one properly.
  3. Geranium ‘Orion’ bears large deep blue flowers with white centres from June to September, in contrast with mid-green leaves. This one grows around the ‘bird bath’ my large flat stone in the middle of the gravel garden. I really need more blues and this one has only just come into flower.
  4. Geranium sanguineum (Unnamed) grow in my gravel garden and along the patio. Loving full sun they flower for months.
  5. Geranium x oxonianumI have a number of these in the woodland border and gravel garden, but I don’t know the varieties. They form large sprawling clumps of divided, veined, evergreen foliage, one with a lovely dark marking, from which open clusters of pink blooms appear in summer. It’s a robust perennial and flowers over a long period. Suitable for sun or shade. But be warned, in the sun they grow rampant!
  6. Geranium x magnificum has hairy green leaves that have a nice autumn colour. Masses and masses of large bluish purple flowers form when it starts to bloom, but sadly these don’t last for long, flowering in May and June. I have transplanted a couple of pieces to my new rose border in the ‘Wild Garden’ so I hope they take.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. Who knew there were so many geraniums? Not me! An absolute garden of delight. I love the sidebar.

The sidebar is no more, that is the one geranium I pulled out yesterday! There are a LOT of hardy geraniums, I am only beginning to discover them.

1. Just as well you memorialised it!

2. susurrus says:

My all time favourite is G. x magnificum – it seems to be one of the bees’ favourites too.

It is a beauty, but the flowers are fleeting.

3. Su Leslie says:

Your lovely geraniums always make me wish I had the patience (and talent) to paint watercolours of them.
    So glad your weather has picked up. 😀

I’d love to be able to do botanical drawings, sadly I don’t have the talent for that.

1. Su Leslie says:

I know people say drawing can be learned, but I think I’m prof that’s not really true. Or maybe I lack patience even more than talent 😂😂

4. I think my favourite thing about Geraniums is the veining – especially, with your Six, on ‘Derrick Cook’

Derrick is rather lovely. I must try and get a bit closer to him 🙂

5. March Picker says:

Oh, what would we do without these faithful geraniums?! Your collection is inspiring, Jude.

6. janesmudgeegarden says:

Your gallery is colour coordinated (intentional or a happy accident?) and all the Geraniums are quite delightful. It would be hard to choose a favourite. It’s interesting to see the intricacies in the flowers that closeup photography highlights.

I do have a love of what I call ‘bruised’ colours – pinks, purples, blues and a touch of yellow and orange to contrast. I must get the macro lens out again to catch those wonderful intricacies you mention: just been too windy lately!

7. Beautiful pictures of beautiful plants. They’re such happy flowers and (most of them) easily earn a place in the garden.

8. fredgardener says:

What beautiful geraniums ! My preference goes to the first and the second because I don’t have those, of course !

9. Nice selection. I’ve been ripping out handfuls of geraniums and forget-me-nots but needed doing. Still plenty of geraniums left but they were starting swamp other growth. Got a few clear spots for my dahlia seedlings to go in eventually.

10. BeckyB says:

If only it was hardy geraniums I had spreading through my garden, instead I have ground elder 😦

Not nice! Any news on making the move?

1. BeckyB says:

PS as you may have gathered by previous comment unfortunately not 😕