Six on Saturday | Where is Summer?

Approaching midsummer’s day and we have yet to experience anything like summer. Unlike many parts of the UK it hasn’t been too bad down here in the west country this week. Yes it has rained and yes the temperatures are well below what they should be for this time of the year, but we have had some sunshine and I have managed to dry my laundry outdoors! Seeds of new hellebores have been sown along with some lettuce and parsley, but I am afraid they might all be washed out! And one of my new clematis ‘Prince Charles‘ was damaged by the wind on Monday and Tuesday taking away 12ย  flower buds. That causes me to have a sad face. ๐Ÿ˜ž

This week I shall show you six things in (or around) the raised beds at the bottom of the garden. It’s a little wild at the moment!

1. Painted Sage.ย An annual sage, grown primarily not for its insignificant flower, but for the colourful bracts borne on upright stems in summer. These modified leaves are blue, pink or white. This is in the herb bed alongside some variegated sage.
  2. Tulbaghia violacea or ‘Society Garlic’ is one of the prettiest and best summer edible flowers, with a garlic flavour but no aftertaste. I bought these from Sarah Raven and they should have sweetly fragrant lilac-pink flowers, however mine look almost white. I am hoping for a lot more flowers, but I think it needs more sun.
  3. Euphorbia oblongata is a long flowering foliage plant with brilliant sulphur yellow flowers and bold, strong shapes. It is really a short-lived perennial and although I bought 5 seedlings last year they didn’t come into flower until this spring and are now taking over the entire bed! It is supposed to flower until December so I intend to remove a couple of them and pop them into containers to move elsewhere. As with any euphorbia take care when cutting this plant as the milky sap is poisonous and can irritate the skin. I have it growing alongside Eryngium and Echinops so I hope to see them all in flower together at some point this year.
  4. Salvia nemorosa ‘Caradonna’ (Balkan clary) is a lovely deep purple flowering perennial with tall spikes. I have planted this to accompany theย  plants in #3 and I hope that in future years it will bulk out a bit.
  5. Centranthus ruber or red valerian comes from the Mediterranean and was introduced to the UK in the 1600s and has now naturalised here. It tends to self-seed everywhere in pavings and walls where the deep tapering roots can cause damage. In fact in the Western Cape, South Africa it is considered to be an invasive species. The most typical colour is a brick red or purplish red, but can include deep crimson, pale pink, and lavender. Centranthus ruber ‘Albus’ (about 10% of individuals) has white blooms and I have that one flowering in the front courtyard. It is a good source of nectar from May to October for bees, butterflies and moths like the Hummingbird Hawk-moth.
  6. Common Daisy (Bellis perennis).ย  You may be wondering why I am including this one in my six as I am sure pretty much everyone will have this familiar wildflower growing in their garden and especially in the lawn as it favours short grass,. This humble plant can be seen flowering almost all year round and I am actually quite fond of it allowing plants to seed in the cracks of my paving and also in my very weedy lawn. Usually a daisy has composite flower heads – the yellow disc in the middle (‘disc florets’) and the surrounding white ‘ray florets’ (which look just like petals) but this one (on the left) growing next to my compost bin, appears to be a double flowering type caused by some form of mutation.
    BTW The name “daisy” is considered a corruption of “day’s eye”, because the whole head closes at night and opens in the morning.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. Pit says:

Looks like some places over there have been drenched lately, haven’t they? Here, our Texas summer isn’t here yet either, but we don’t mind. But here, things are different, of course. We’re perfectly happy to wait for the really hot weather.
    Have a great weekend,
    Pit

Yes there have been floods in some areas, but not here. We have very few rivers here, but of course the coast can get a beating in wild storms. Just damp and chilly which isn’t great for gardening or visiting beaches.

1. Pit says:

Keeping my fingers crossed for better weather.

Thought you were going to have a moan there for a minute. Not like you, Jude! Bought a lovely Curcuma plant on the market this morning ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ’•

When am I going to see some photos of your terraces and patios and plants?

You haven’t? Well, there’s not a great lot to look at at the minute and you know I’m not a gardener. We ordered pallets yesterday, for the deck up top, and when that’s done the bougainvillea and creeping vine will move upstairs, and we can add to the collection downstairs. You’ll see it all one day. Patience! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

3. I canโ€™t believe what a cool summer it has been so far! We havenโ€™t eaten dinner outside yet! I love centranthus. I love it when you get a mix of pink and red.

I know! Horrid isn’t it? Last year I spent hours sitting outside reading as it was too hot to garden! Still, the ground did need some water as it has been quite dry for Cornwall.

4. My favorite this week is hands down the painted sage!

I have just been to have another look at it and it is flowering now, the flowers are very tiny but I think they are quite pretty too ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Noelle says:

The Salvia nemorosa is also a favourite with me, and I too have a new plant in the garden. When it arrived I nipped out the growing shoot to help it bulk up, and now have rooted cuttings…working out where to put them. With the high rainfall and lack of sun, a bit of cutting back can allow other plants room….

I fell on to a white Salvia breaking it so have stuck the bits in a pot to see if they will root! The main plant appears to have recovered ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Chloris says:

It was 9 degrees on Monday, along with torrential rain. Still at least we don’t have to spend hours watering like last year. Nice six, I love your dear little double daisy.

Monday was rather lovely here! But it has been chilly. The daisy is rather sweet. And has been flowering for ages!

7. Pete Hillman says:

Your garden looks ever beautiful Jude! I love Red Valerian and how it really brightens a garden up.

The Valerian is OK but it can become a little invasive. I had to pull up some in the courtyard as it was right next to where I park the car and made opening the door difficult!

1. Pete Hillman says:

I have the same problem on my front driveway.

8. susurrus says:

I love your double daisy. The single version is such a pure, honest-to-goodness flower. Your picture has made me realise I wouldn’t recognise a common daisy from its leaves, which is mildly shocking.

Free flowers, what’s to dislike? If only dandelions were less invasive.

9. That Euphorbia is lovely and still looking so good. Mine have all passed their peak and need to be cut down now. The Salvias look great

I think the Euphorbia will be cut down shortly, those I leave in! I do have other plants that aren’t growing because of them!