Six on Saturday | It’s Raining Again

Well that was a weird week. Although the weather forecast was for light showers every day we had some sunshine, some mist, some thunderstorms and a lot of wind! The garden has benefited from the rain as it was very dry but it was so cold on Friday that I even lit the wood burner in the evening! But it has been a busy and productive week in the garden. The Cornish hedge wall end has been rebuilt (thanks to my son) who also built me several small benches to stand pots on around the garden. The new tiny bed that was created from beneath the overgrown compost heap now has plants in it, a huge weedy grass has been removed from underneath the corkscrew hazel tree and the Kilmarnock willow has had a trim allowing light underneath. Bark has been spread. And bulbs have been removed from pots.

But for this week we are going to have another look at the Woodland border to see how much it has changed since early spring.

1. Ferns. I have several ferns growing along this border, most of them from the cracks between the stones in the wall. At this time of year they look lush and green and very, very wild.

Below, the woodland border from the Elderberry ‘Sutherland Gold’

2. Alongside the ferns are hardy geraniums. All pink along here, but several different types. They do get a bit straggly after a while so I shall be chopping them back soon.

As you can see C. Nelly Moser is still going strong and even the Hosta isn’t too badly nibbled yet. The Fatsia Japonica is rather taking over as it is prone to do at this time of year, but I do like the huge glossy new leaves. And the scented pelargoniums like to hide in its shade.

3. A new plant in this border is Geum coccineum ‘Koi‘  a dwarf variety of Geum that produces compact bright orange-red flowers from late spring and through the summer. At the moment it is slightly hidden by a fern, but I hope it will bulk out a bit more. The colour is lovely against the greenery.
  4. Another new plant nearby is Houttuynia cordata ‘chameleon’, an attractive low-growing shrub, bearing a striking carpet of variegated red, cream and green leaves from late-spring. It is a good ground cover for moist soil and the leaves develop the brightest colours in full sun so I am not expecting mine to as this is planted in the shadiest corner.
  5. Sweet Woodruff (Galium odoratum, the sweetscented bedstraw) spreads along this border under the winter honeysuckle and at this time of the year is covered in tiny scented white flowers. I think in my first year here I mistook this plant for cleavers and probably pulled a lot of it out! Fortunately it bears me no grudges and is growing nicely now. It loves a shady spot where little else grows and I allow it to scramble wherever it likes, but if you are afraid of spreading plants then perhaps best to avoid it.
  6. Primula Japonica ‘Apple Blossom’ has featured before, but this one is a particularly lovely example as it has multiple stems. This candelabra primula has flowers of a charming shell pink with some deeper reds.

I have just done a list of all the plants growing along this border so I can create a plan to put on this blog site. It might take a while though as I get a little bit distracted during the tennis season.  But, as always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. Absolutely lovely woodland border. I have plans for a new woodland area and yours is an inspiration.

Oh, thank you for your lovely comment! I must admit I haven’t got much room left in this border now. Maybe some tete a tete in one or two places in the autumn!

2. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

You’ve been busy. The woodland border looks lovely. I’ve never risked hostas but they are tempting. I’ve found a fern at the back of the blue shed. Pondering whether to try and dig it up to add to the stealth fernery. Bought a Koi last year. It’s a pretty little plant.

Well, to be fair my son has been busy! I have made use of his strength to help me with the heavier jobs, still require him to remove some turf for me! The Koi is lovely amongst the ferns.

3. fredgardener says:

The geum Koi is a success here too, I love this color.
    Nice picture of the paved path at # 2 (fatsia and hosta …. great mix!)
    Is it the common fatsia ?

It is the common fatsia Fred, quite a monster one!

4. Elizabeth says:

We had planted(I should say I picked out and my husband planted) a shady corner with assorted plants. To my delight the ferns and bleeding hearts took over. Now the statue of Mary is knee deep in luscious ferns. Love your fern photo.

Ferns are lovely and my bleeding heart is still flowering away!

1. Elizabeth says:

Is it red or white? Ours is red.

Mine is red. I did once have a white one, but someone stole it from my front garden! (A long time ago in another house and a different place)

2. Elizabeth says:

A bleeding heart thief? What a coward.

5. It all looks very pretty Jude. It’s been cold here too, but it is winter so we have to expect some chilly days.

But it is our summer! I need some heat!

1. It’s going to be 20 here today – shall I send it over to you? 🙂

6. I planted some Sweet Woodruff several years ago. it is a lovely delicate looking plant but what a roamer!
    Beautiful pictures and I may have to hunt out that Geum. What a colour

The Geum is also nice because it is not so tall, a bonus in a windy garden 🙂

7. Su Leslie says:

It’s all looking lovely Jude. The geraniums are gorgeous 😀

Saw some growing wild on the Lizard yesterday – now they did look lovely in that setting.

1. Su Leslie says:

I can imagine 🙂

8. Tina Schell says:

Your garden continues to amaze Jude. I’d love to see the “big picture” with all of the growth showing, I’m sure it’s glorious!

I’ll try and get some wide angled shots Tina, I usually go for individual plants but I know people like to see more of the garden.

9. We were down in Cornwall this weekend and, apart from Friday, had good weather. Your photos are stunning, as always. I particularly like the Primula. I had one last year but can’t find it this year!

Our weather is ‘interesting’ 😀

10. pommepal says:

Couldn’t resist popping in to see how your garden grows Jude, and it is looking really lush and colourful. I love variegated leaves, wish I could grow those glorious hostas.

Ah, but you don’t get the S&S like I do PP. My hosta will be stripped by the end of the season despite my checking it daily for the molluscs. I shall come and look at the work you and Jack have been doing in your place – I caught a glimpse of it last night just before I shut down the computer.

1. pommepal says:

Happily our blue tongue lizard makes short work of the S&S. but he is not around at the moment, I think he may hibernate as it gets colder.