Changing Seasons – May 2019

on

I almost ran out of time for this month’s gallery. I took some photos mid month whilst waiting for my car to be fixed – the alternator broke en route to a garden, fortunately we hadn’t got very far and our local garage kindly fitted me in the same day. When you are as reliant on your car as we are that was a huge relief. But I did manage to get back this morning after my visit to the Physiotherapy department at the hospital in Hayle to see what else is flowering in May.

So much to choose from this month, I hope you enjoy the selection. (The header image this month is of a shadier part of the garden, where fuchsias and hydrangeas grow, a lovely area to linger in when it is hot.)

(click on the collage to enlarge image)

George V Memorial Walk – May 14 & 30 2019
  • Row 1: Annual Poppies, Cistus x Corbariensis (hybridus) (Rock rose), Marguerite Daisy Pink , Blue Hardy Geranium, Yellow Rose
  •  Row 2: Pink Cosmos, Blue bearded Iris, Phlomis italica ‘Pink Glory’ (Italian Jerusalem Sage), Gazania, Peony
  • Row 3: Californian Poppies ( Eschscholzia californica ), Pink Bottlebrush (Callistemon), Poached Egg plant (Limnanthes douglasii), Salvia, Sweet Alyssum
  • Row 4: White bearded Iris , New leaves of a spruce tree, Red Hot Poker (Kniphofia ), Iris pseudacorusNigella damascena ‘Gertrude Jekyll‘ ( love-in-a-mist )
  • Row 5: Gladiolus communis subsp. byzantinus (Whistling Jacks in Cornwall), Daylily (hemerocallis ), Lavatera arborea (tree mallow), Buddleja globosa (Chilean orange ball tree), white Cosmos

All these photos were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M10 using a 42mm – 150mm zoom lens.

The Changing Seasons | May

1. This is a lovely gallery of blooms, Jude. I would love to see a Chilean ball tree. It looks fantastic.

It is rather pretty. I wouldn’t object to one!

The one in this garden is about 2m I suppose – just a bit taller than me.

2. That sounds perfect. It would be a striking addition to any garden.

2. bushboy says:

Absolutely wonderful as usual Jude. Fab photos 🙂

Thanks Brian 🙂

3. I love the name ‘Whistling Jacks’ for Gladiolus communis!

4. That’s a striking Lavetera I thought it was a geranium until I enlarged it. Talk about all happening at once what an amazing collection you have.

It is an amazing garden/walk with lots of exotic plants from the southern hemisphere. I wish I could grow them in my garden, but a) it is not very big and b) it is not very sheltered 🙂

5. Su Leslie says:

I’m drinking in all this beauty and colour Jude. It was gloriously sunny here while I was lying in bed cursing the light, and now I’m back on my feet we’re “enjoying” an Antarctic blast with bonus rain. Perfect for the long weekend.
    I’m glad your car was a quick fix btw — living in NZ I totally get car-reliance.

Nothing worse than feeling ill when the sun is shining!

6. pommepal says:

Beautiful selection of summer blooms in all their glory. I can feel the sun. Thank goodness your car was fixed promptly. I’m trailing behind with my changing seasons post and there are lots of changes this month too.

The car has cost me a small fortune this month! I hope that’s that for this year. Still at 11 years old I have done well with her, but maybe this is a sign that I need to start thinking of a replacement.

1. pommepal says:

Cars can be a worry as they get older. Bit like us….☹️

7. pommepal says:

BTW happy birthday to OH hope you are having a lovely day

We did, thanks PP. Great lunch, walk in a quiet garden and Prosecco in the evening at home.

8. Such lovely photos of such lovely flowers. And thank you for writing what each flower is. Are there still California poppies in bloom where you are? I learned about them earlier this year after seeing pictures of the Superbloom and have been a little obsessed with them. I also really like your photo of the Chilean orange ball tree. It is so cute!

Yes, Californian poppies are in flower still. Thanks for your lovely comment, it is much appreciated.

9. What a glorious display, beautifully honoured by you and Olympus!

I love my Olly 🙂