Six on Saturday | Sunny Wall and Gravel Garden

A look at the sunniest part of the garden this week. When I moved in to this house the walled area was full of weeds (cinquefoil, silver-weed, achillea, forget-me-nots, hogweed, buttercups) and a Dianthus or “pinks.”  The Dianthus is still here and about to explode into flower so I’ll save that until it does. The weeds have mostly been removed over time though the creeping cinquefoil is almost impossible to eradicate from the cracks between the stones so I have to put up with it. I don’t mind too much as the flowers are quite pretty, but it does spread by runners so can be invasive . After three years I have finally achieved what I set out to do.  I think. Of course plants die over time so there may be replacements in the future, but for now I am satisfied. Even the colours are starting to complement each other!

1. Osteospermum. I love these daisies from South Africa. Of course not all are hardy and even those that are don’t always survive a cold winter as I found out last year when the ‘Beast from the East’ destroyed my ‘Tresco Purple‘ and a lovely orange one. Now I have four varieties – another purple, a white, a pink and a lilac shade. They are very happy in the sun and I have taken several cuttings of the purple one as it was badly broken by Storm Hannah. I must take cuttings of the others too in case they are more tender.
  2. Weigela – possibly ‘Wine and Roses‘ as it has beautiful pink trumpet shaped flowers and dark purple leaves. A small shrub I brought with me in a pot, now planted out in the garden in two places and slowly getting established, though this has been the best year for flowers yet.
  3. Erigeron karvinskianus – what can I say about this fabulous little daisy? It has been flowering ever since I planted it and spreading over the wall as I intended. I’d love it to self-seed so I can move bits to other parts of the garden. The white, pale pink and purple shades blend well with my Osteos and the magenta Aubrieta with the Forget-me-nots adding contrast.
  4. Whistling Jacks (Gladiolius communis byzantinus) grow wild in Cornwall and the  Isles of Scilly and are a delightful magenta colour. They don’t do too well in my garden because of the wind and I keep on saying that I must dig them up and find somewhere more sheltered for them, and then I forget until I see them again the next year. Mine seem much paler than others I see around, which are a deep magenta with purple streaks and an iridescent shimmer, but they suit my colour scheme. The true kind are magnificent in the George V garden and in full flower right now.
  5. Alliums. I planted Allium ‘Sensation’ a couple of years ago and only a few of the bulbs ever flowered. Last autumn I planted some mixed Allium ‘Superglobe’ (different shapes and colours) in the raised Bee and Butterfly bed and around the large granite rock in the gravel garden. I hadn’t realised just how big and ugly the leaves are. The flowers are lovely shapes and colours, but I think I am going to dig these up after flowering and maybe plant them into a large container for the future. They do fill in the space between the tulips and the summer perennials though.
  6. Campanula Portenschlagiana. You’ve seen this last year, but as big part of this wall it deserves to be seen again. It is a low-growing perennial which forms a dense, evergreen mat of foliage adorned with a mass of bell-shaped violet coloured blooms and spreads along and down the wall,  suppressing weeds as it does. I have purchased a few different Campanula this spring, but only one for this wall (white), the rest have gone onto the Cornish hedge. When they come to flower I’ll put them in a future SOS. Again they grow beautifully with the other low-growing plants along the wall.

It has been a windy week down here and a chilly wind too. Basil plants have arrived and been potted on. And I have had several very pretty Violas arrive and also potted on. They are named varieties and several are scented. I shall keep some on the patio, including an edible variety and the rest will go into the courtyard.  As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world

1. fredgardener says:

Nice choice of osteospermums. They don’t work well here …so I hesitated this morning to buy some at the plant fair … I’ll see if I change my mind soon or not because I love them!

Do you get a lot of frost then Fred?

1. fredgardener says:

Not a lot but often in April or even until mid-May (and so it’s cold and wet). Where I live there is wind that gives low but frequent nocturnal frosts

The wind can cause damage here – one of my trees and clematis suffered wind burn in the last storm.

You’re in your element here, Jude, surrounded by gardeners. 🙂 🙂 Me, I just like having a nose around.

Yes, a lovely bunch 🙂

3. Elizabeth says:

We finally have some warm weather today. We have little violets sprouting in our lawns. My husband dug up some white flowers called “Quaker Ladies” and planted them here and there hoping they reseed also. Loved seeing your profusion of beauty.

Yay for warm weather! It actually turned out quite nice here too and I got quite a bit done in the garden. Had to look up “Quaker Ladies” – they are very pretty.

1. Elizabeth says:

I wondered if they were native to here or from England.

4. March Picker says:

Jude, all very lovely. Your weigela has me eager for ours to bloom here.

5. What a gorgeous selection of plants, Jude! With all those osteospermum, it looks like high summer! I sympathise with your creeping cinquefoil issue, as I had one too when we moved to this house. I did get on top of it after a couple of years. It still appears, like you say, but it is controllable now.

The osteos are lovely. I was surprised when I first moved here to see them flowering on St Michael’s Mount in April – I previously associated them with the summer months. Mine flower all year pretty much.

6. Cathy says:

What tool do you use for your ‘mosaics’ Jude? The one with the alliums looks really effective. I know what you mean about allium foliage – but did I read somewhere that you can trim the foliage off and it didn’t affect the blooms? Must google it – but perhaps it was just my imagination! Your garden must be really bright with all those osteospermum

I used Pixlr for the mosaic but they are changing the platform and I don’t know if this is available in the new one. I do like the way you can create different looks with the layouts. The osteos seem to flower all year round so my garden always has a little colour.

1. Cathy says:

Is Pixlr free to use?

Yes. Pixlr.com but they are stopping using flash so I don’t know if the collage feature will work much longer. I allow flash to work on the site (I use Chrome) and then reload the page and it still works.

2. Cathy says:

I have used PicMonkey for basic grids but have to tweak it as it is no longer free

7. Love the abundance of your garden.

I love the month of May!

8. Chloris says:

Osteospermums do so well in Cornwall, yours are fabulous. I love all your alliums.

I’m not sure about the alliums in my beds, they look a bit like soldiers dotted about, but I do love the different textures and colours of the flowers. Maybe they’d look better in a container?

9. Beautiful pictures Jude. I thought Osteospermums would do better than they do in my garden. You’re look great

They do seem to like it here, but I’m not sure the paler ones are that hardy. Time to take some cuttings I think.

10. A joy to visit your garden, Jude – so much wonderful color! I’ve never heard the name “Whistling Jacks” for the glads – seems a perfect fit. I try to plant my large alliums behind smaller shrubs to hide the foliage, which works, but then they seed themselves back into the foreground.