Fairy Flowers

Our native type (Hyacinthoides non-scripta, otherwise named common bluebells, English bluebells, British bluebells, wood bells, fairy flowers and wild hyacinth) appears in ancient woodlands and along woodland edges in April and May. The sweetly scented flowers only droop from one side of the stem and have narrow leaves unlike the Spanish invaders which are paler and unscented. This year the lanes are lit up in the ditches and on the Cornish hedges. Maybe the extreme cold weather last year followed by the baking heat of the summer has something to do with it, but the bluebells are magnificent. We are considering driving to a wood or garden, but first thought we’d have a wander around ‘our’ hill as we know bluebells live up there. We were in for a very pleasant surprise.

St Ives Bay and Godrevy Lighthouse

First the obligatory photo of the coastline looking north to Godrevy and Portreath. The sea a soft turquoise in the evening light.

Instead of taking the first stile and the steep, but short route up the hill, we continued along the lane as far as the woodland edge before  entering onto the horse trail through the gate. The air was still. The sky a pure cornflower blue and it was pleasantly warm.

We had a peek into the wood, but although we could see some of the blue stuff in patches of sunlight, we decided to head up the hill following the horse track. It was a slow journey as I was forever stopping to look at the flowers, the rocks, the trees, the views.

Once on the top we slowly circled around making the most of the 360° views. St Michael’s Mount and Mount’s Bay to the south, Hayle to the north, Wheal Alice below and the farmland between the hill and the sea. We struggled to try and identify where the A30 runs in all of this greenery as the road and the houses along the route seem to completely disappear.

St Michael's Mount

Hayle Estuary

Wheal Alice and Towednack Hill (chimney stacks)

Leaving by the west gate we found ourselves in a wonderful little dell carpeted with violet-blue flowers. The air was heavy with the delicate perfume and the light was now changing into the golden hour pre-sunset, both redder and softer. The complete silence that we had been experiencing until now was replaced by the conversation between a pair of crows on the rocks and the songbirds in the trees doing the reverse of the dawn chorus.

Bluebell dell

The trees and the fields seemed greener and the bluebells more purple as we wound our way northwards along the track strewn with granite boulders and rocks and edged with bluebells, being careful not to tread on any bulbs.

As the sun slowly slid behind Trink Hill we made our way home wondering how on earth so many bluebells had made their home on the hill, but very grateful that they had.

Jo’s Monday Walk

Glorious! Thank you so much for taking me along. I enjoyed every step 🙂 🙂

I thought you would 🙂

2. That is just so beautiful! How wonderful to have all that on your doorstep.

Yes, we feel very privileged.

3. Fabulous! Our lanes are so blue and beautiful this Spring – I keep wanting to stop the car and take photos! Your lanes and views are very lovely. 🙂

The lanes are lovely and colourful though the cow parsley around here is no where near as spectacular as it was last year.

Wonderful views, Jude. Something rather lacking here.
    I did see some bluebells on Mousehold Heath yesterday, but not the expected carpets of them. It may have been too dry recently, I suspect.
    Best wishes, Pete.

Our nearby woodland doesn’t have many either, it is quite a sterile woodland for some reason.

5. Sandra says:

Beautiful. I agree that the bluebells are especially glorious this year. I’m hoping to take a bluebell walk in the next day or two. For now though, I’ll enjoy yours 🙂

May is such a giving month where flowers are concerned.

6. Joanne Sisco says:

This is a walk that would have made my heart sing!! I especially love the photo near the end with its ‘carpet’ of flowers and the one following with the rocky path speckled with flowers. This would make any walk worth the effort!!

We were wandering around the hill for a couple of hours! And it is not that big.

7. The walk through the Cornish countryside, enlivened by the bluebells, sounds and looks exquisite, Jude. Happy Spring!

Not very springlike at the moment Cathy, it has been quite cool this week and windy, but dry!

1. We keep going from cool to warm to rain to dry. Today, it’s supposed to be nice and warm so I look forward to it. I have been cold for way too long! (Since Portugal of last year!).

Surely it was hot in Morocco? And Italy? Or are you meaning at home? It worries me that we are getting close to the mid summer mark and the temperatures are still down to 3 or 4 degrees at night!

2. It was often chilly in Morocco, although in some places (Merzouga near the Sahara) it was warm. Italy was warm near the Cinque Terre, but cool, cloudy and even rainy in Tuscany. It wasn’t freezing, but it seemed I always had a jacket on. And we had a very long and miserable, rainy winter here at home too. I usually like cold weather, but not when it’s rainy, and not when it goes on forever! 🙂 I’m ready to be warm for a change!

I dislike rain even though I know the garden and the farmers need it. I find it miserable to be wet and you can’t use a camera either. I am very happy for it to rain during the night! I do hope we get some warmer weather soon.

4. I know gardens and green spaces all need rain, but it is certainly no fun to have to travel in rain! Raining at night would be the solution! 🙂

8. Colline says:

Such beautiful views on your walk. I love the bluebells.

The amount of bluebells came as a surprise to me, I think the dryish summer we had last year probably helped.

9. bushboy says:

I enjoyed my walk Thanks Jude 🙂 I wonder who lives among the boulders?

Why the fairies of course. Or perhaps the Cornish Pixies. The giants left thousands of years ago.

1. bushboy says:

Are Cornish Pixies like Cornish Pasties?

Not as tasty…