the turn of the rhodies

We returned to Trengwainton Gardens on 16 April in the glorious spring sunshine that even Cornwall was experiencing. Although we expected it to be busy due to the Easter holidays we were hoping that most people would head for the beaches.

Having outlined the walk we usually do in my last post on this garden, I shall simply take you around using the photos of the day. Although there were still Camellias in flower the main show is provided by Rhododendrons and Azaleas. As you may or may not know all Azaleas are Rhododendrons, but not all Rhododendrons are Azaleas. What is the difference I hear you ask? rhododendrons are larger shrubs than azalea plants, and they have larger leaves. Also, azalea flowers usually have five stamens, while the rhododendron flowers have ten and rhododendrons tend to be evergreen whilst azaleas are deciduous.

Personally I prefer the smaller flowering azaleas which can be stunning at this time of year. I find the huge often dark leaves of the rhodies to be somewhat depressing.

This time we were able to get lunch in the café. I had a marvellous salad of beetroot, fig, hazlenuts and Mozzarella cheese, the OH opted for a ham salad. Both were excellent. I hope Jo enjoys these photos, I know she is rather partial to Rhododendrons and I am sure there aren’t (m)any where she lives now.

Jo’s Monday Walk

1. Sadje says:

Amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing

Oh, wonderful! Like you, I have a preference for azaleas, Jude! And I’m going to have to make my own version of a beetroot, fig and hazelnut salad!

The salad was amazing!

So it was beetroot, hazelnuts, fig, mozzarella…and any leaves? And presumably some kind of dressing….perhaps with some orange?

Mixed lettuce leaves some cucumber and spring onion and I think maybe cherry tomatoes. A honey mustard dressing. As I said to Su, I need to go back and have it again and take notes!

😊😊😊

3. janesmudgeegarden says:

Glorious, and I learnt something, for I often thought about the similarities between the two plants. I love their flowers but find them rather boring for the rest of the year.

There are in fact some evergreen azaleas, but they don’t grow very big. I have only ever grown azaleas as a house plant and killed them every time! I think a lot of shrubs are boring most of the year, but they do add some structure and background to a garden.

4. Fabulous photos. The azaleas are in bloom here in Pennsylvania. It seems the white are the most floriferous with pinks and reds close behind.

So true! I’d have a long walk to find a rhodie 😥. I saw the Himalayan Garden near Ripon was advertising recently. Not open in August though. Ah well…have to make do with bougainvillea 😍💕Thanks darlin xx

I’m sure there is enough to satiate you in the Algarve.

Maybe 😊 xx

They are stunning plants. I believe they need acid soil to grow well though, so we don’t have any.
    (I don’t like beetroot. 🙂 )

7. susurrus says:

Lovely pictures. I never used to like either of them, but I do now. I have been noticing their fragrances for the first time this year.

Some of the white/cream ones have a very powerful perfume.

8. Su Leslie says:

There I was enjoying the lovely flowers (and learning something to boot) and you mentioned food. Now, like Sue, I’m wondering how to concoct a version of your salad. It sounds so delicious.

The salad had mixed lettuce leaves, dried figs cut into quarters, whole roasted hazlenuts, marinated beetroot, cucumber, spring onions, and I think cherry tomatoes. With a honey and mustard dressing. I shall have to go back and have it again and make notes!! I had a beetroot, walnut and warm goat’s cheese salad yesterday, at a different place, almost as nice.

1. Su Leslie says:

Thanks Jude. Both sound lovely, and beetroot seem plentiful here at the moment, so I think I have a pulled of lunches sorted 😀

9. Joanne Sisco says:

The one thing that’s become clear to me as I look at all the flowers you post is that I love all of them. Flowers are such a wonderful gift and I just love all the colour and scent that goes with them. I’m not picking favourites 🌺 💐🥀

I have different favourites at different times of the year. They are all wonderful (well, mostly).

1. Joanne Sisco says:

I’m pleased to announce that my peony has broken the ground!! I transplanted it last year because it wasn’t thriving in its original position. It rewarded me by flowering for the first time!

I’m so excited to see the 2 new shoots, I’m thinking of planting more!

…. I LOVE peonies 🙂

Peonies are fabulous. I don’t have room in my garden for them and it is probably too windy anyway for the flowers. Good that yours is happy now!

10. Elizabeth says:

We have azaleas all around our home. One difference in New England is that we have deciduous azaleas. In Oregon they were evergreen.